Here's What We All Need....

This looks really great, however it's not quite the same as having a certificate from a competition, complete with the adjudicator's notes, having disected your playing! These take pride of place in my house, and bring back some good memories. Are there still competitive festivals?

Regards,

Peter.

I see the pictures are of Anglos. Hmmm. Supposing you play the English or Duet? What then?

Chris

They are maybe Master's degree, Associate degree, or Bachelor degree, and the other bellows degrees reserved for high school?? Depending on how the accrediting authority has the programs set up I wonder if the skills come in the program, or we get the skills before applying, or are automatic on receiving the certificate. I could sure use a shortcut to better playing. Maybe I could skip a grade :)

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Are there still competitive festivals?

Regards,

Peter.

Yes there is the North London Music Festival in May, in which the concertina at least up to recent years had a place. There were however usually only two or three participants despite efforts to get more participants.

Pauline

This looks really great, however it's not quite the same as having a certificate from a competition, complete with the adjudicator's notes, having disected your playing! These take pride of place in my house, and bring back some good memories. Are there still competitive festivals?

Regards,

Peter.

Yes there are, in Scotland at least. Although there are no separate classes for concertinas I have entered in the open instrumental class and will do so again ...

Samantha

Yes there is the North London Music Festival in May, in which the concertina at least up to recent years had a place. There were however usually only two or three participants despite efforts to get more participants.

Pauline

Hi Pauline,

Good to know that this one is still going. I first entered this competition in 1988, and have a certificate which says that I won this competition in 1989 :) . On both occasions I played Anglo. I could not try to defend in 1990, due to an accident which damaged a wrist tendon, but was back in 1991, playing Maccann Duet.

It was good to meet some of the older, Classical, players at the North London Music Festival, and I felt that it was something of an achievement to win, whilst playing Traditional music.

I look forward to meeting you at Witney, and hearing you play.

Regards,

Peter.

Yes there are, in Scotland at least. Although there are no separate classes for concertinas I have entered in the open instrumental class and will do so again ...

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

Guess that you are having an easy time of it, since we are between games of Mornington Crescent! :)

How did you get on in these competitions, and which other instruments were used (I'm guessing accordion and fiddle, at least).

Regards,

Peter.

I was told that the Dublin (OH) Irish festival has a concertina contest, if I understood Bob Tedrow correctly that weekend. He said his daughter had competed. don't know when it was though, especially since the only competition I ever saw going on was millions (sic) of Irish American kids dancing. this is one of those events that definately reminds me that my people have been on this continent forever.

Alan

Maybe in Witney we can try to get some more people interested to go this Festival.

Hi Pauline,

Well, I'm certainly happy to talk about the Festival, and enjoyed my three visits there.

Regards,

Peter.

I was told that the Dublin (OH) Irish festival has a concertina contest, if I understood Bob Tedrow correctly that weekend. He said his daughter had competed. don't know when it was though, especially since the only competition I ever saw going on was millions (sic) of Irish American kids dancing. this is one of those events that definately reminds me that my people have been on this continent forever.

Alan

The Columbus Feis is held in association with the Dublin Irish festival each year. There is always an Irish music compeition held at the feis. Alex played the concertina and placed first in the music competition in her catagory, which I believe was titled "other instruments"

Bob

Samantha

This is still a competition for concertina at Kirriemuir festival (1-3 September 2006) although in recent years competitor numbers have fallen away to almost zero.

(I'm usually joining in the music in one of the hostelries in town! :rolleyes: )

The competition started at Kinross festival in the 1970s, and continued when the festival moved to Kirriemuir in the 1980s.

Some other festivals have a Miscellaneous Instruments competition, covering anything which doesn't have a class of its own.

Some of the entries have been very miscellaneous, including harp, flute, banjo, saxophone and pipes!

Anyone interested in making a trip to Kirriemuir?

The competition rules ask for any three contrasting traditional Scottish tunes of the competitors choice, including Slow Air, March, Strathspey, Reel, Jig and Hornpipe.