Hohner D40

Can anyone vouch for the Hohner D40 20 key as being a good concertina of choice for a beginner?

I suspect you will find generally no, perhaps with a few qualified maybes. Have you played an instrument before, and what would you like to play on it. Outside this short answer I'd be outside my expertise to comment further. However; the search function of this net and Hohner will bring up over 400 comments on their line of instruments.

Thanks

Leo

I have been playing a D40 for over 3 years now and have found it a good starter instrument.

Not long after I started on it Peirre Hoof had a good look and play of my D 40 and decalred it good for starting on, articularly for the price.

I am hoping to upgrade in the next 12 months but will keep the D40.

I have been playing a D40 for over 3 years now and have found it a good starter instrument.

Not long after I started on it Peirre Hoof had a good look and play of my D 40 and decalred it good for starting on, articularly for the price.

I am hoping to upgrade in the next 12 months but will keep the D40.

For what it's worth, I had just the opposite experience. I returned two new D-40s within a month last year to the well-known internet store I purchased them from because they became unplayable due to the air-button and various other buttons becoming permanently stuck in the down position. I would stay away from the D-40. You may want to check out Wakker's Rochelle concertina, which is due out this month as a much better starter option. The link to their website is:

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/rochelle.htm

Best of luck to you.

the most attractive thing about this particular concertina, right now, is the price. since this will be my first concertina, or reed style instrument of any kind, i think it would be a better decision to go with a cheaper model before i go and spend a lot of money on something i dont even know if i enjoy yet. if i get into it i will definately upgrade. any suggestions on 30 keys?

i think it would be a better decision to go with a cheaper model before i go and spend a lot of money on something i dont even know if i enjoy yet.
One problem is that it can be difficult to find enjoyment from such inexpensive instruments. The difference between those and the hybrids or vintage types (even inexpensive vintage boxes!) is immense. You'd hardly believe that they were the same type of instrument.

If you do get a Hohner (or similar) and become exasperated because it is difficult to play; you find it uneven, mousy-sounding, and out of pitch; and often needs repairs and wears out easily... please check out some decent concertinas before deciding that *concertinas* are unenjoyable.

If being moneywise is the operable thing here, good quality vintage concertinas can often be sold for more than you paid for it. Sometimes a lot more. Hybrids seem to be running at a slight loss when reselling, about $300 over a couple of years then stabilize or increase as other costs go up. Any factory-made concertina seems to plummet in value. After a few years (if it's still intact) it's usually sold at a huge discount (at a loss if you consider your time fooling with it) or given to a friend just starting out.

If limited money is the problem, a Hohner or similar is about all you can do though I think it would be better to buy a used one (cheaper yet and the previous owner may have fixed most of the factory problems!), rent one (the cost of that Hohner us equivalent to half a year's rent on a better 30-button concertina), or borrow one.

If you're anywhere near Massachusetts there's the Northeast Squeeze-In coming up in a few weeks where there'll be lots of concertinas for sale (including many inexpensive ones). Borrow one for the weekend (or buy one), take the beginner workshops and you'll get a great start on the thing. If you play other instruments, bring them along as you'll find them useful for jam sessions or learning tunes.