Any One For Whitby

Dave,

I'll be there all week with Rose & Castle. I have no idea of our dancing schedule yet, other than that we've got Monday off, but I'll keep an eye out for any concertina stuff going on. Hope to see you there.

Clive

Rose & castle, right, I'll look out too

Dave

Dave,

I'll be there all week with Rose & Castle. I have no idea of our dancing schedule yet, other than that we've got Monday off, but I'll keep an eye out for any concertina stuff going on. Hope to see you there.

Clive

:D Looking through the programme your side is down for the following......

Saturday

12.45- 1.30 Dance display at the Scoresby monument with Boojum, Flag and Bone Gang and Redbournestoke

2.15- 3.00 Dance display up by the Whalebones with Boojum, Flag and Bone & Redbournestoke

3.15-4.00 Dance Display at the Bandstand, same sides as before

Sunday

1.00- 1.45 Dance display at the Bandstand with Ouse Wash Molly and Sciorr

2.15- 3.00 Dance display at Scoresby Monument , as above with Stone Monkey too

3.30- 4.15 Dance display at the Whalebones with Sciorr and Stone Monkey

Monday......Free

Tuesday

11.30- 12.50 North West workshop at the Metropole ( funnily your side is not down for the whole weeks worth of workshops )

1.30- 2.30 dance display at the Bandstand with Ouse Wash, Redbournestoke and Sciorr

Wednesday

11.30- 12.50 North West workshop at the Metropole

2.15- 3.00 Dance display by the Whalebones withSciorr, Stone Monkey

3.30- 4.15 Dance display, Scoresby monument, sides as above

Thursday

No workshop today, Rivington are down to take it

12.45- 1.30 Dance display Scoresby monument with Mortimers and Ouse Wash Molly

2.00- 2.30 Dance display at the Bandstand with Boojum

3.00- 3.45 Dance display Scoresby monument with Boojum and Dukes Dandy

Friday

Rivington still have the workshop at the Met

12.15- 1.15 Dance display at the Bandstand with Boojum, Mortimers and Ouse Wash

1.45- 2.15 Dance display Scoresby monument with Boojum

3.00- 3.45 Dance display Bandstand with Boojum, Mortimers and Ouse Wash

4.30- 6.00 Final parade starts from Crescent Gardens to the Banstand for dance displays

Hope this is of use, I'm taking a friends daughter to some workshops most mornings but will keep an eye out for other concertina players around town. I put a short resume of concertina related events in the News etc. Forum which may be of interest.

Cheers

(Sorry to Chris T)

Any one going? if so then look out for concertina band posters in the folk office area.

see you there

Dave

I'll be there with the band Stradivarious but playing double bass. I'm sure I'll also find time for concertinaing at sessions.

Howard Mitchell

:D I'll be the short, plump, cheerfull concertina player with the scratch side. Look for the tall moustached chap ( hubby ) and let your gaze drop a foot or so........ unless of course he's popped to get a beer refill, in which case look for the hair in a bun and a broad grin.

And for those interested in Real Ales and Ciders...... The Shambles Bar in the East Side market place will have 6 Real Ales and at least one 'cloudy' cider. :D

Shame that I can't drink and play...... if I do the tunes that come out at the fingers are not the ones that the dancers are expecting :P

Shame that I can't drink and play...... if I do the tunes that come out at the fingers are not the ones that the dancers are expecting :P

This is what makes life interesting, and keeps the dancers "on their toes".

Regards,

Peter.

(Sorry to Chris T)

Don't apologise. We've served our time in the ranks at Whitby Folk Festival (indeed, 4 cassettes worth of stereo recordings I made at the singarounds at Whitby in 1976 have gone for digital immortalisation at the Village Music Project).

I wish I could go to both festivals. However as I can go to just one week-long festival in August the nearer one wins out over both Whitby and Broadstairs.

Chris

Clive :D It was nae problem pet, there might be the odd thing I've missed off it by accident but most of it's there. Always nice to know what's planned in advance and which sides will be around.

There seem to be fewer and fewer morris sides each year, I remember playing in the parade one year and it was the best part of half an hour before our side got to the ' starting post' in Cresent Gardens, the queue snaked to and fro around the flower beds with impromptu music sessions starting up as bored musicians flexed their fingers, lately it's been a case of blink twice and you miss the parade completely.

Cheers Annl

( We've got Morris men in the attic for Folk week, it's nearly the same as having bats but house trained :D )

Edited by annl

:D There are concertinas all over the place this year, there are 4 of them with the Scratch side alone!

1 English, 1 Ideophone and 2 Anglos. I'll try to remember to take the camera out tomorrow and get snaps.

I followed Clive's directions and found him amidst a throng of Rose & Castle but he'd not got his concertina with him. :(

Cheers Annl

:D Here are a couple of snaps of the massed 'Scratch side' concertina's, there was another Anglo player but he was busy dancing when the photo was taken. Concertinas outnumbered melodeons 5 to 2 this year :D

Just got back from Whitby, and have only just looked at this thread. My familiy and I went up the week before the festival so I missed most of the postings, but I also met Clive with Rose & Castle, and have photos of him and his team in their flowery hats and team rig. If he has no objection I will post one later.

Lots of concertinas and concertina stuff, and I recognise some of the people on the scratch side pictures.

my own two repair workshops went well with good levels of attendance at both of the them.

I played concetina band most afternoons (playing bass, baritone and treble - but not at the same moment of time), and played my baritone for the west gallery singing. So there was plenty of opportunity to play more than just dance and session tunes.

A good festival, all in all, and good company.

Dave

Annl & Dave,

It was good to meet you both, albeit breifly. I'm sorry we couldn't get to have a longer chat or a drink or two, or even play a few tunes.

It's some time since I danced at a major festival (i.e. 20 - 25 years ago) and back then I was younger, single and child free. Having changed all of those conditions, and with my wife playing in the morris band, I was dissapointed, though not really suprised, at how little time there seemed to be to do anything other than dance at the appointed times. In the whole week I got to go to two concerts (both in the rugby club who's field we camped on), and one Late Night Extra (other than the one we danced at). I was also amazed at how little beer I got to drink during the week.

My only suggestion to the organisers would be to have some sort of shuttle service running between the two camp sites and the town.

All in all, however, a great week.

No problem posting the photo's Dave.

Clive.

PS: Rose and Castle are also doing Bromyard this year. Anyone going there? With it all being a bit more compact than Whitby we might get to manage some beers and tunes.