Looking For A Used 30 Button Anglo

bear

I'm still looking for a 30 button anglo concertina that is in need of repaires. It must have good belows. And must be cheap...... :rolleyes:

Trouble is that so is everybody else :angry: . The last mahogany ended 30Key Lachenal on Ebay made over £300 I believe with Rosewood ended models making £700+ in tatty condition and even basic metal-endedmodels will fetch £800, so getting one cheap is a bit of a pipe-dream I'm afraid whether it be from Ebay, Concertina.net or auction unless you are extremely lucky :(

Pete

The condition of the ends does not matter. I can make new ends, its the belows that I can not do. All I need of the ends is enough for me to see how they where made.

I know the chances of me finding one is slim to nothing. But with the money I have to work with its the only chance I have of ever getting a 30 button anglo. So try I will......... :blink:

Larry I have seen that one on ebay. Problem is its starting off with a bid at almost $100.00 USD add the shipping costs from the UK to the USA and that puts this one way out of my price rang. But your right, I did add it to my "Watched Items" just to see what it sells for. It will be interesting.

MC, I sure wish I had the funds to play around with. I'd take you up on that english. Not that I want to play a english (not sure I could....LOL) but because this is the sort of thing I really enjoy doing. Working with my hands, building/restoring things. Due to health reasons I cannot work any more and this would give me something to do.

If you happen to hear of a anglo somewhere I'd really appreciate you letting me know.

Now if you wanted a tatty baritone English, I could help you! Not sure whether to attempt a rebuild or use it as a garden decoration.... :P

Any one?

MC

Say, Malcolm, you didn't show me that one when I was in your shop three weeks ago! I can't decide if we all need temptation or should avoid it. Or both.

Ken

Now if you wanted a tatty baritone English, I could help you! Not sure whether to attempt a rebuild or use it as a garden decoration.... :P

Any one?

MC

Say, Malcolm, you didn't show me that one when I was in your shop three weeks ago! I can't decide if we all need temptation or should avoid it. Or both.

Ken

Didn't realise it would have been of interest to you! :( Do you want me to pm you details?

Hope you are recovering from your trip, Ken. You probably need a vacation to get over it! :lol:

I may have a candidate.

I purchased an old Lachenal off eBay a couple of years ago. It sounded good at the time, a 30-button that the seller described as "plays" and from what I could see in the photo's it appeared to be in fair shape.

I purchased it for $800 with hopes it could be restored to good condition for another $1,000 or less. When it arrived I found the wood (exterior ends) on both ends was cracked and virtually all the pads had fallen off the operating arms. Looking inside I found some glue joints had failed and a substantial number of the original steel reeds appear to have been replaced with brass ones.

I put it in a bag and stuck it in a drawer where it's been ever since. I think the bellows are OK, but with all the pads fallen off it was impossible to get a real feel for them - other than I saw no obvious points of failure. I hate to think of the financial loss I'm taking on it, but that really happened at the point of purchase for the value received.

I'll send a private email with more details

Bruce

Edited to add: I don't know the tuning (C/G or whatever) since I couldn't play individual notes to check it.

Edited by Bruce McCaskey

I see that a 30 button for restoration has just appeared on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-31-Key-Concert...1QQcmdZViewItem

It will be interesting to see what it goes for.

Too bad that one is a Bb/F

Just curious--how do you know the key? It's not mentioned in the eBay listing.

I asked the seller. It is interesting that that the seller chose not to post my question.

I'm still looking for a 30 button anglo concertina that is in need of repaires. It must have good belows. And must be cheap...... :rolleyes:

bear, you are not going to find anything this cheap with good bellows.

but luckily for you, i have a button box stagi on loan to someone who is waiting for his edgley to arrive, and i have just moved your name to the top of the list of people who can borrow it when i get it back. this will probably not be for another month or two, but it should be before christmas at least.

lars jacobson was asking $100 for his fairly playable chinese anglo a while back. i can't find the post, but if you search for him in the user list and send him a pm he may still have it and be willing to sell it to you for cheap.

The last time I talked to Lars he said he was going to resell the Tedrow I'd sold him a few months prior and wasn't going to continue with the concertina. I believe he said he was going to use the recovered funds to re-enter a prior hobby - hang gliding. He'd been talking about letting his Stagi go when he purchased the Tedrow, but I don't know if he did or not.

Wow you guys are really cool, lots of good advice and friendly folks here. But I guess your right, with my budget its going to be awhile before I can buy a concertina. Even one to fix up. I never knew thay cost as much as they do. Heck I thought the $250.00 Hohner was the top of the line concertina......LOL

Oh well, in time I'll get one. Untill then I'm going to do some more research on them.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it............

I asked the seller. It is interesting that that the seller chose not to post my question.

And now it appears to be a C/G after all...

And now it appears to be a C/G after all...

And purchased by the ubiquitous Cgris Algar for over $1300.