Geoff Crabb Visit

Dave Prebble and I recently spent an unforgettable day in the company of Geoff Crabb. We were made very welcome by Geoff and his good lady. Geoff kindly spent several hours sharing some of his tremendous knowledge of concertinas with us. His enthusiasm and ability in the construction of these superb instruments is amazing and we left exceptionally grateful yet humbled by the experience.

Geoff also proudly showed us a part of his latest project which, when complete, will be the world’s largest concertina which he is assembling in a marquee in his back garden. The photo shows Geoff with one of the reeds which he has just finished voicing. Using an angle grinder saved several weeks of filing and he says the reed is so powerful that when he pinged it, the shockwave blew his glasses off. :blink:

post-4-1070665803.jpg

Hi All,

I would just like to echo Peter's comments and add my thanks to Geoff and his wife for a wonderfully informative and inspiring day.

I know it is a bit of a long shot, but do we have any Geophysicists amongst the forum members ?

Geoff is trying to source a Seismograph with which he proposes to do the final tuning. B)

Regards

Dave

I know it is a bit of a long shot, but do we have any Geophysicists amongst the forum members ?

There are some geophysicists among my musical (though not concertina) friends in Copenhagen. I probably won't see them until after Christmas, but if you're still looking then, give me a reminder.

Geoff is trying to source a Seismograph with which he proposes to do the final tuning. B)

If he moves fast he could get this one,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4&category=3632

it is a small portable, at only $10US at the moment and 8 hours to go. Presumably he will need a large source of falling rocks for calibration, perhaps Stonehenge..?

Chris

Not a long shot at all!

OK, true confessions here. Among my overabundance of degrees (which I don't tell my fellow High School teachers about! they already tease me too much) is one that represents a spell of time working in seismology at a large University. A fun (if jobless) business. We chased aftershocks in the Adirondacks, I analyzed some Alaskan Earthquakes, all kinds of stuff. My students roll their eyes when I get started about it (but they roll their eyes at everything).

But I have a relative who studies fluid flow and has studied shock wave behavior. Seems to me that is what we need to explain Geoff's creation.