Jackie Concertina

i am new at the concertinas and i am thinking on buying the Jackie but when ordering there is no place to enter the state (i live in the USA) that i live in. there is only the address, city and zip code. Has anyone here bought a Jackie that lives in the usa. Does anyone here know if the Jackie concertinas ship out of Europe or the USA. if so how long will it take to ship to the use. is the Jackie a good beginner concertina and by good it will last more that a year.

i am new at the concertinas and i am thinking on buying the Jackie but when ordering there is no place to enter the state (i live in the USA) that i live in. there is only the address, city and zip code. Has anyone here bought a Jackie that lives in the usa. Does anyone here know if the Jackie concertinas ship out of Europe or the USA. if so how long will it take to ship to the use. is the Jackie a good beginner concertina and by good it will last more that a year.

i ordered a jackie, thinking i would try to learn the english system, and i remember it taking about a month to ship to washington state. they ship from the netherlands through the post office. if you're on the east coast it may be faster. i just mailed a check to the spokane address so i don't know about entering the state in the web form.

i ordered a jackie, thinking i would try to learn the english system, and i remember it taking about a month to ship to washington state. they ship from the netherlands through the post office. if you're on the east coast it may be faster. i just mailed a check to the spokane address so i don't know about entering the state in the web form.

so if i use pay-pal they might not know what state i live in (Colorado). a month is quite the wait was it worth it. i was gonig to get the jackie or the one off e-bay here here

I would avoid the eBay one, which looks like a "generic" Chinese-made concertina. The Jackie is much more likely to be in playable condition.

Daniel

so if i use pay-pal they might not know what state i live in (Colorado). a month is quite the wait was it worth it. i was gonig to get the jackie or the one off e-bay here here

Edited by Daniel Hersh

i think it was worth the wait, though i've ended up loaning it to a friend, since learning a new system was more work than i'm ready for right now. but from the time i spent trying to learn it, i can say that the quality is much better than any other chinese or italian concertina i've tried, though you'll want to upgrade to something better eventually (start saving your money). i think it was more like three weeks that i had to wait for it. you can probably arrange to have it shipped faster if you call them directly, though i'm sure this will cost more. i'm sure that they can figure out the state based on the zip code, but i guess i'd include it with the town/city field.

i'd recommend against the ebay item as well.

a month is quite the wait was it worth it.

i find its always worth the wait for a new instrument, of any sort, if i do my research ahead of time and choose one that fits me and my price range. it looks like you're doing that (if you avoid the ebay one), so it should be worth the wait!

nothing makes the wait easier. whether its a week, 6 months, or 10 years, its always tough; i just about exploded when i had to wait 2 weeks for my uncle to send me one of his old burke whistles. i dont know how i've held out these past 9 months, year number one of 3 and a half, waiting for my carroll concertina. my respect goes out to all those who wait twice as long or more for their instruments.

i am new at the concertinas and i am thinking on buying the Jackie but when ordering there is no place to enter the state (i live in the USA) that i live in. there is only the address, city and zip code.

Derka Derka:

In the US the Zip Code has made the state name in the address redundant, so it's not needed. With the Zip + 4 system the state name has become less important. The system has been automated and sorted by machine so that maybe soon even address may become irrelavent. Here's why:

http://www.zip-codes.com/zip_codes_history.asp

Thanks

Leo

thanks. i was thinking on getting the jack instead of the Jackie. Has anyone tried the baritone jack. I am also buying a hard case so if i pay with pay-pal how do they know that i bought those two items.

Edited by derka derka

I had a Jack. It was a little too big and heavy for my comfort, but I was pleased with the sound and quality of the instrument.

Usually in paypal, there is a box where you can type a brief message to the person you're sending money to. I'd also email them and say, "You should be getting $$$ from me for a Jack/ie and a case."

I am also buying a hard case so if i pay with pay-pal how do they know that i bought those two items.

derkaderka:

You are ordering from here right????:

U.S.A.

We accept Money orders, Bank-Cashier's and Personal Checks payable to:

The Concertina Connection

11517 E. 12th

Spokane WA. 99206

U.S.A.

Their main page has a "contact us" directly hot spot to email them directly.

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/

To answer your question, when you click order an item, the new open window has a place for click to continue shopping. When you are finished ordering multiple items click check out. The automated ordering systems collect keystrokes until you say done.

I don't have enough experience or knowledge to comment on your other question, however I would suggest a little patience for a few days. In a short time I'm sure there will be enough information posted to help your search. In the mean time this line of concertinas has been commented on frequently, all favorable. Look through the previous posts to find more information.

Does this help get you started??

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

I am also buying a hard case so if i pay with pay-pal how do they know that i bought those two items.

derkaderka:

You are ordering from here right????:

U.S.A.

We accept Money orders, Bank-Cashier's and Personal Checks payable to:

The Concertina Connection

11517 E. 12th

Spokane WA. 99206

U.S.A.

Their main page has a "contact us" directly hot spot to email them directly.

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/

To answer your question, when you click order an item, the new open window has a place for click to continue shopping. When you are finished ordering multiple items click check out. The automated ordering systems collect keystrokes until you say done.

I don't have enough experience or knowledge to comment on your other question, however I would suggest a little patience for a few days. In a short time I'm sure there will be enough information posted to help your search. In the mean time this line of concertinas has been commented on frequently. Look through the previous posts to find more information.

Does this help get you started??

Thanks

Leo

ya thanks for the help, is the jackie lighter than the jack or are they about the same. how much do they weigh

Edited by derka derka

Are you buying the hard case for another concertina? The Jackie comes in its own hard case.

Edited: Sorry, ignore this post. When I bought a Jackie two years ago, it came with a hard case, but I've seen that they now ship it with a soft gig bag.

Edited by Lemon

• 3 weeks later...

I had a chance to try a new Jack EC.

Goods:

Action is good and smooth.

Thumb strap and pinkey rests are convenient.

Very impressive sound, very "manly", bandoneon-like.

Seems like sturdy construcion.

Pretty good reed response - slitely breathy on the octave low reeds, but that's expected, very decent on middle-high range.

Even tone.

Easy to play.

Not-so-goods:

Not so air-tight as I expected from a new instrument, but that can be attributed to valves not settled yet.

Bellows don't look too well made, with shiny surface material, that look like plastic, and with air bubbles under glue at places.

"Bellows expansion test" showed full expansion at 30 seconds. It can be explained with valves' settling or because the bellows are still new and stiff, and stop expanding too soon.

Overall I think it's a good instrument, either for the money and for the sound and feel. Hopefully new pads will settle, reeds will play in and reed valves will take the shape of slots and seal better over time.

Awsome value!

Edited by m3838

I had a Jack. It was a little too big and heavy for my comfort, but I was pleased with the sound and quality of the instrument.

I had both the Jackie and the Jack - I couldn't tell any difference in weight? They were both considerably lighter than my 56 Key Lachanal and my Wheatstone Aola. I thought the Jackie was an excellent starter instrument and kept it as a back up for when others go infor repair but as I now have three vintage I decided to trade the Jackie for a starter Anglo to give the Anglo a try (can't get to grips with it yet). I still have the Jack. The low notes are difficult to play and I can't alway get a low note out on the bellows push <_< - pull is not so much of a problem. But it is still a lovely instrument with a great sound. The only prolbem I have is finding time to play it along with the others! :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

Here is a seria of mp3 files, that can be called "Testing the Jack Baritone".

I was with the Jack for about 4 months and mostly interested in other, that Irish folk, and other, that simple

melody line. My problems with the Jack were:

difficulty of starting low reeds, esp. on the push, growling noises on very low pressure, that was corrected by making the valves more springy, lots of air cosumed by low reeds, whcih had to be kept in mind during playing. Despite all this I found the Jack to be playable and below is the results.

I tried to make videos, but my computer is turning off by itself, when any large program is running. (if you have any advices, please shoot).

Please feel free to critique my playing. The recordings are done with Camcorder and hastily edited.

http://www.mediamax.com/mberenstein/Hosted...net/Hatikva.mp3

http://www.mediamax.com/mberenstein/Hosted...n_Pripechek.mp3

http://www.mediamax.com/mberenstein/Hosted...rne_Gardens.mp3

Edited by m3838