Concertina Video On Google

Nice - though they have the name of that waltz incorrectly. It's published as Judy & Jim's Wedding though most the people I know call it Jim & Judy's Wedding (that's how composer Larry Unger said he aways thought of them).

I was there for their wedding and designed the house they built and live in!

We should be ashamed of ourselves :) I mean - this clip you posted (which is great to see) is the only actual concertina on google videos - see here. Though... I do like the ferret clip very much indeed! Similarly on YouTube there's just one

clip (please forgive the pun). Actually, the playing on that is really good, but it's in a pitch-black pub (have to turn my monitor brightness up to max to see anything)! Surely someone who's a bit more animated than me can post up something good?! I'd post something (maybe I will), but fear that any video compression will just turn the video into a single static frame :)

Here's another one on YouTube that I enjoyed--not great playing, but not bad for such a low-end instrument either.

We should be ashamed of ourselves :) I mean - this clip you posted (which is great to see) is the only actual concertina on google videos - see here. Though... I do like the ferret clip very much indeed! Similarly on YouTube there's just one
clip (please forgive the pun). Actually, the playing on that is really good, but it's in a pitch-black pub (have to turn my monitor brightness up to max to see anything)! Surely someone who's a bit more animated than me can post up something good?! I'd post something (maybe I will), but fear that any video compression will just turn the video into a single static frame :)

Similarly on YouTube there's just one
clip (please forgive the pun). Actually, the playing on that is really good, but it's in a pitch-black pub

Do you know the name of the tune? And perhaps where to find notes/abc? I should like to learn to play that one...

Wouldn't it be nice if these could be labled the FIRST ones on Google and YouTube. Hopefully many more will follow. Who knows, maybe a "recorded links video page" to complement and plagerize a good idea.

Thanks

Leo

Wouldn't it be nice if these could be labled the FIRST ones on Google and YouTube. Hopefully many more will follow. Who knows, maybe a "recorded links video page" to complement and plagerize a good idea.

Actually you can set up a "group" category (forget the terminology) with YouTube so anybody could add videos to this, and anybody could easily find them. For example, the Internet Cello Society has such a group here.

Actually you can set up a "group" category (forget the terminology) with YouTube so anybody could add videos to this, and anybody could easily find them. For example, the Internet Cello Society has such a group here.

I took your suggestion and looked into it. I didn't know about groups there. Their "terms agreement seems to me to be a bit harsh and one sided. Section 5b says they can do anything including sell whatever anybody puts on their website.

To quote them:

"However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube, you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels. You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality of the Website and under these Terms of Service. The foregoing license granted by you terminates once you remove or delete a User Submission from the YouTube Website."

End quote.

I'm not sure it would be prudent to invite people to submit videos of their "intellectual property", and allow a video supplier to have that much power without any input from the submiter.

By the way I really like your video that you've submitted to them as you pointed out in the recorded links post: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ost&p=43423

Thanks

Leo

Their "terms agreement seems to me to be a bit harsh and one sided. Section 5b says they can do anything including sell whatever anybody puts on their website.

There is an interesting article here on the BBC website on exactly this subject.

Chris

I'm not sure it would be prudent to invite people to submit videos of their "intellectual property", and allow a video supplier to have that much power without any input from the submiter.

I don't have any problem with the terms in this case - as far as I'm concerned all people are free to listen to, enjoy, hate, ignore etc that video. If they think of a way to make money out of it, without being fraudulent/deceitful then good luck to them. The terms aren't _ideal_ for this, but they're OK, I think.

Also, the terms state that I can remove my submission at any time and this removes the license to use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and perform my video by either YouTube or anybody who has downloaded it (though I suspect the latter wouldn't hold water, since you don't actually agree to any extra license terms when viewing YouTube videos).

This last point seems pretty powerful to me. For example, I have a load of source-code on my website licensed under the GNU GPL - if someone took that code and used it to build a fluffy-animal torture device I wouldn't be able to stop them, even if I changed the license terms (after the code had been downloaded). However, if a user of YouTube used my concertina video to torment small children, I could withdraw the submission and they would no longer have a license to use the video.

If I was a professional musician, maybe I'd think differently about posting stuff on YouTube - but, unless I misunderstood something, I don't have a problem with it and hope not many other people do.

Do you know the name of the tune? And perhaps where to find notes/abc? I should like to learn to play that one...

I believe it is the "Red Crow". The Session has a version. You'd have to listen closely to the video and cut a bit of the "ornamentation" the Session file contains (common complaint I have).

Anybody know the second tune in that set?

I'm not familiar with the style of music, but I like it. It's different. Do you really think there is enough people to support video groups?

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

RatFace

Whoops! You beat me to it. I was considering volunteering this since being kind of new to concertina's I don't have much other meaningful to contribute. That's why my curiosity. I hope you do well, so for now 4 videos. I hope you get quite a few contributions to support YouTube Concertina groups. Nicely done:

http://youtube.com/group/concertina

Thanks

Leo

Do you really think there is enough people to support video groups?

I don't know, but it only took 1 minute to set up a group, and it only takes 2 seconds to add an existing video to the group, so it doesn't matter :)

At the current rate most of the videos labelled concertina aren't actually about (our) concertina - so having a group is just a way to increase the signal to noise ratio. Doesn't matter to me whether the clips are "intentional" recordings like mine, clips of someone busking in the street, or rips from a film (if people are prepared to sacrifice their sense of morality to breach the copyright protection!).

I don't know, but it only took 1 minute to set up a group, and it only takes 2 seconds to add an existing video to the group,

RatFace, thank you, not only for setting up this group, but also for contributing Rosline Castle.

Do you have, by any chance, a written arrangement of this song as you play it?

Would like to try this song too.

Edited by Lemon

Do you have, by any chance, a written arrangement of this song as you play it?

No - because it's one of those that comes out different each time :) However, if I get around to writing out a version (i.e. one that includes most of the little bits that get put together in different ways) I'll stick it on my web page and let you know.