Ebay Jeffries 21 July

Leo

Ive been watching this for a little while seeing the bid go right out of my price range

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A%3AIT&rd=1

This one showed up this afternoon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeffries-38-key-Anglo-...#paymentmethods

They both have identical word for word descriptions, However the second one says the instrument is in england but the sellers location is in the US, and it is only a two day bid. The seller wants an email before bidding with special payment instructions.

Am I imagining things or is this wierd. Perhaps too wierd??

Am I seeing double?? Am I too paranoid to question the integrity of EBay offerings??

Thanks for your input

Leo

This one showed up this afternoon:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jeffries-38-key-Anglo-...#paymentmethods

They both have identical word for word descriptions, However the second one says the instrument is in england but the sellers location is in the US, and it is only a two day bid. The seller wants an email before bidding with special payment instructions.

Am I imagining things or is this wierd. Perhaps too wierd??

Am I seeing double?? Am I too paranoid to question the integrity of EBay offerings??

Leo,

This second auction is a typical eBay scam, the other auction has been cloned, and in all probability the identity of wolfbarbie has been stolen. Don't go near it with a barge pole! (If you so much as even give them your email address you can expect lots more scams coming into your inbox.)

This second auction is a typical eBay scam, the other auction has been cloned, and in all probability the identity of wolfbarbie has been stolen. Don't go near it with a barge pole! (If you so much as even give them your email address you can expect lots more scams coming into your inbox.)

Stephen

I suspected as much but wasn't sure. Thanks for the confirmation. Appreciatie the effort. You guys do nice work!

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

This one seems legitimate: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A%3AIT&rd=1

The other one has all the flashing warning signs:

Same pictures and text of a previous auction

Bidder ID kept secret

Item and Seller in different places

Two day auction

That is not to say that a legitimate auction can't have a private bidder ID. But most show the bidding. An item which does not sell might be relisted by the same seller, with the same pictures at a later time, but not concurrent with their original auction!. (One of our members has a Suttner ec for auction on ebay for a second time.) And it is possible for someone to have a residence in a second country. But all these factors in a single auction should temper one's bidding enthusiasm. DON'T bid!!

Asking for additional information and specific additional pictures can sometimes ferret out a scam auction.

Best of luck and keep saving your money for that "real" Jeffries.

Greg

Edited by Greg Jowaisas

This one seems legitimate: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A%3AIT&rd=1

The other one has all the flashing warning signs:

Bidder ID kept secret

Two day auction

That is not to say that a legitimate auction can't have a private bidder ID. But most show the bidding. An item which does not sell might be relisted by the same seller, with the same pictures at a later time, but not concurrent with their original auction!. (One of our members has a Suttner ec for auction on ebay for a second time.) And it is possible for someone to have a residence in a second country. But all these factors in a single auction should temper one's bidding enthusiasm. DON'T bid!!

Asking for additional information and specific additional pictures can sometimes ferret out a scam auction.

Best of luck and keep saving your money for that "real" Jeffries.

Greg

Greg

Since I've only been at this for a short while, some of the things you mentioned I wasn't aware of. However one of the things, and the major things that caught my eye was the pictures came up next to each other with the identical description text.

I have seen things relisted after a no sale, but like you mentioned running concurrently with another with the appearance of almost everything the same.

Save money; by all means I'm all for that. However I've already depleted my previous savings for my Morse Albion that for now I'm very happy with. It'll be a while before I figure out how to play that and expand my efforts to others.

Thanks for the information. I'll put it into my ever expanding bag of need to know information.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

... all the flashing warning signs:

Bidder ID kept secret

Two day auction

And I would add to those:

Seller has only two feedbacks, both as a buyer, not as a seller

Seller wants you to contact them at an email address, not through eBay

Doesn't specify payment methods in listing

Item is already for sale and has reached a four-figure price in other auction

Added together, as Greg says, "all these factors in a single auction should temper one's bidding enthusiasm", though individually some of them might be of little or no consequence.

But this one has scam written all over it! :(

This second auction is a typical eBay scam,

And, in the meantime, I've reported it to eBay. :angry:

Sure beats me why anyone would try cloning a listing, using identical pics and text, especially at the same time as the genuine item is being auctioned. I can't imagine who would fall for it. A month later, maybe! I have notified the genuine seller, of the scam, just in case she is not aware of it.

Chris

This second auction is a typical eBay scam,
And, in the meantime, I've reported it to eBay. :angry:

Who I see have now removed it. :)

Sure beats me why anyone would try cloning a listing, using identical pics and text, especially at the same time as the genuine item is being auctioned. I can't imagine who would fall for it. A month later, maybe!

Unfortunately the scammers are doing it all the time, especially the Chinese ones (but they're usually pretty easy to spot - being in China ;) ).