Any Concertina Workshops?

I am wondering if anyone knows of any concertina-related workshops or music festivals in the UK from around Dec. 15 to Jan. 15 next winter? Usually I go to the UK that time of year. Anybody know of any concertina or other folk music happenings during the shortest days and longest nights of the year?

christmas-concertina-angel-W200H240.jpg

Dunno, I'm afraid. The ICA used to have a very good events calendar on its web site, but recently it has gone not only design free but content free as well.

We have a regular English music session here in Bradford on Avon that is very concertina friendly. There'll be one on 8th January during your visit.

Chris

Best bet is "Straw Bear" in January Check out the date. It should be 12th./13th. Always very good. I've been for the past 4 years. No workshops but lots and lots of Melodeons/concertinas Morris dance and Ceilidh. Well worth it. They have a website.

http://www.strawbear.org.uk/

And "Sessions" in the pubs. New Crown at lunch time always a good one. + the Bricklayers in the evening. voted best in England!

Chas

Edited by fidjit

Best bet is "Straw Bear" in January

http://www.strawbear.org.uk/

That looks like something fun! From the description, seems as though there is also a significant Morris component. There must be some concertinas in all that! (It's 12-13-14 January 2007.)

Save0011.jpg

I read online that this Bear has made friends with one in Germany. Someone has also spotted a similar Bear in Toronto! I wonder if the Toronto Morris folks know about it?

4593.jpg

Dunno, I'm afraid. The ICA used to have a very good events calendar on its web site, but recently it has gone not only design free but content free as well.

We have a regular English music session here in Bradford on Avon that is very concertina friendly. There'll be one on 8th January during your visit.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. Looks as though the George is in Wiltshire, one of my favorite places to visit. (Is this the right one?) I've been there for a steam rally in the summer which was really fun. Also attended a mummer's play near Devizes a few years ago at Christmas time in a small pub. My son and I were staying at Castle Combe for the holidays.

Looks as though the George is in Wiltshire, one of my favorite places to visit. (Is this the right one?) I've been there for a steam rally in the summer which was really fun. Also attended a mummer's play near Devizes a few years ago at Christmas time in a small pub. My son and I were staying at Castle Combe for the holidays.

That's the right pub. You'll see "English Traditional" listed in the events. That's us. Bradford on Avon is a particularly pretty Wiltshire town.

Last new year's day Anne and I took part in the band for a new mummers play in the Widcombe area of Bath. It will be happening again this coming new year. Both in striking range of Castle Combe.

The Straw bear thing looks fun too.

Chris

Chris, your George pub has a folk night in August. Can that be right? Thouht all folk clubs closed for August due to all the festivals. I'd like to drop in. I could manage the 22nd. Or even the English Tradional on the 28th. They have golf too! I play golf.

Chas.

Yes Straw Bear is fun. Trouble is finding places to stay. Most book up as the leave for the next year.

There is a possible indoor camping, but you have to ask when you book your tickets.

Edited by fidjit

Chris, your George pub has a folk night in August. Can that be right? Thouht all folk clubs closed for August due to all the festivals. I'd like to drop in. I could manage the 22nd. Or even the English Tradional on the 28th. They have golf too! I play golf.

Well, there's a public golf course 5 minutes wlak from our house. Shame I don't play, really. The English Traditional is our session, as you've probably gathered, and it carries on hell or high water. The folk club is not really very Sidmouth-y and seems to carry on through the summer quite successfully.

Chris

Name of golf course please. So I can check them out for playing.

Now where did I put that seven iron? Whats it doing in my guitar case. Packing for my trip. It's a bit hectic. Concertina in my golf bag. Melodeon? Wheres the melodeon? Socks? Who needs socks it's summer.

Chas

Edited by fidjit

Chris

It is still there. This is the list from 1st December onwards.

2006-12-02 Jubilee Concertinas Slow and Steady tune workshop Chorley, Lancs., UK

2006-12-02 (tbc) West Midlands & Welsh Marches Monthly Meeting Wolverhampton, UK

2006-12-02 Lewes Arms Folk Club Workshop: Brian Peters: Melodeon Lewes, E. Sussex, UK

2006-12-03 Lewes Arms Folk Club Workshop: Brian Peters: Ballad Forum Lewes, E. Sussex, UK

2006-12-04 Concertinas Anonymous Monthly Meeting Lewes, E. Sussex, UK

2006-12-09 Jubilee Concertinas Concertina workshop Chorley, Lancs., UK

2006-12-10 Chiltinas Monthly Meeting Maulden, Beds., UK

2006-12-10 Northeastern Concertina Players Monthly Meeting Sedgefield, Co. Durham, UK

2007-01-26/28 Jenny Cox Concertina Band Weekend at Hawkwood Hawkwood College, Cotswolds, UK

Other events could be added if the organisers notify the dates to the ICA via the contacts link on the website.

Regards

John

Best bet is "Straw Bear" in Januaryhttp://www.strawbear.org.uk/
I read online that this Bear has made friends with one in Germany. Someone has also spotted a similar Bear in Toronto! I wonder if the Toronto Morris folks know about it?

Hmmm, the straw bear costume looks remarkably similar to the "straw suits" traditionally worn by mummers, straw boys and wren boys in Ireland, except it appears to have a lot more "stuffing" to it.

Here's a picture I took of the Green and Gold Wren, about to set off on their tour of the town of Dingle, Co. Kerry, on St. Stephen's Day (Boxing Day) last year:

P1010001.jpg

No concertinas in evidence though; the Dingle Wren is accompanied by fife and drum bands, though they don't sound anything like any fife and drum band you ever heard before ... :o :blink: :)

Looks like a poor relation to the Whitlesey one.

Hey, I'm playing in Dingle in January 2007. My Dingle however is in Sweden.

Chas

Edited by fidjit

Looks like a poor relaton to the Whitlesey one.

Chas,

Well the first thing my girlfriend (whose family come from that part of Ireland) said, on seeing the picture of the Whittlesea bear, was "is that Dingle?"

But they aren't meant to be bears in Dingle, simply in disguise so that even their friends, family & neighbours wouldn't know them, that way they could get away with anything! The sight of a group of them coming down the street together is very imposing, yet also scary.

But even more scary, in a much more modern style, was a new 20-strong Planet of the Apes-style wren group in black clothes, wellington boots, reflective jackets and gorilla masks. In this night-time photo, below, the new confront the old:

P1010008.jpg

But then, it is a living tradition ...