Dickinson Wheatstone?

I can't seem to find the thread about whether or not Steve Dickinson Wheatstone was still in business. Were there any conclusions? Since I have placed an order with him and he has not responded to my e-mail, I'm very interested in what is happening (or not).

Jeff Myers

P.S.--Do threads just disappear suddenly? Perhaps I'm just missing it somehow.

Odd. It *does* seem to have disappeared. I started the thread on Thursday or Friday. I just checked my last 10 posts through my "assistant" and there are entries from before and after, but no trace of the Wheatstone question.

There *was* a response a day or two ago to the effect that there has been some illness and a death in Steve's family but that there was no truth to the rumor he was out of business.

I'm curious as to how this started. And I'm not entirely convinced it's resolved.

1) This is speculation, but I suppose Paul S. could have deleted the threads in question? (There were two, one in General Discussion and one in Buy & Sell. Now I cannot find either one.) I know that if I were he, I would have done so, to prevent concertina.net becoming a source for propagating such a rumor through the internet.

If he has done so, and if he reads this, perhaps he could confirm it by posting a message in the "Official Business" Forum to the effect that, "Two Topics have been deleted in order to avoid concertina.net becoming liable for spreading potentially damaging rumors." Note that it should not be necessary to mention which threads, especially since the title of the one contains the rumor itself.

This Topic, by the way, should meet a similar fate.

2) The original rumor was posted by someone (I don't remember who) who said he was quoting Frank Edgley. I'm surprised we haven't heard from Frank in the matter.

3) The original post(s), if I recall correctly, said that FE had said that SD was no longer among the ranks of those making traditional concertina reeds. Then he (and we) assumed that this meant that SD was completely out of business, since we can't imagine him making concertinas without traditional reeds. (I must admit that that seems as unlikely to me as him closing down completely.)

4) It was Pauline de Snoo who "explained" Steve's situation and declared the rumor to be false. I am still awaiting a reply to my messages to Steve, but assuming that Pauline is correct, I can understand that I haven't received any. I also believe that Pauline is in more regular touch with Steve than I have been, and I consider her to be a trustworthy source.

5) Also, I consider the fact that his web site and telephone answering machine continue to advertise his business to be indicative that it still exists.

6) I will report definite information as soon as I receive any. In the meantime, because of the nature of the internet and search engines I think it's reckless to continue discussing the matter in a public forum like this one.

Edited by JimLucas

Jeff, David, Jim and all,

I think you will find the thread you are looking for in '' Buy and Sell'', under '' John Connor 31 button c/g metal ended anglo''.

Craig Wagner quoting Frank Edgley 28/11/03.

I spoke to Steve last week regarding some repair work and can confirm he is very much in business.

Regards.

Martyn.

...you will find the thread you are looking for in '' Buy and Sell'', under '' John Connor  31 button c/g metal ended anglo''.

Right you are. Thanks. Don't know why I missed it on my earlier search.

I spoke to Steve last week regarding some repair work and can confirm he is very much in business.

Thanks for the confirmation. Let's hope this puts an end to this ugly rumor. Still wondering what sort of misunderstanding could have generated it.

Jeff, David, Jim and all,

I think you will find the thread you are looking for in '' Buy and Sell'', under '' John Connor  31 button c/g metal ended anglo''.

This is the first appearance of the rumor here, but the subsequent thread that I started in response to it ("Wheatstone out of Business?!") has vanished.

Jim wrote:

3) The original post(s), if I recall correctly, said that FE had said that SD was no longer among the ranks of those making traditional concertina reeds. Then he (and we) assumed that this meant that SD was completely out of business, since we can't imagine him making concertinas without traditional reeds. (I must admit that that seems as unlikely to me as him closing down completely.)

Actually, the original item included these words:

{Quote of untrue rumor removed}
Edited by David Barnert

Jim wrote:
3) The original post(s), if I recall correctly, said....

Actually, the original item included these words:

Frank Edgley informs me....

Quite so. I had it wrong, mashing together in my memory two different posts from the same thread.

But however it started, subsequent reports from sources more closely connected to Steve have said that it's not true at all. I believe them, and I think we all should.

It would be a good idea to delete from concertina.net the original mistaken post and any references to it (including this thread), so that internet search engines can't backtrack to a statement which includes the rumor and thus recreate it and spread it across the net.

It would be a good idea to delete from concertina.net the original mistaken post and any references to it (including this thread), so that internet search engines can't backtrack to a statement which includes the rumor and thus recreate it and spread it across the net.

Such censorship is ridiculous and only defeats the purpose. Had the original thread not been deleted, I would have seen the denial of the original report (which cited, correctly or not, a respected member of the list as source and was thus certainly not anonymous rumor) and had no reason to reintroduce the topic.

Jeff Myers

I'm afraid all this is a tempest in a teapot, based on a misunderstanding during a conversation. A "surmise" is not a fact, as friends often talk and "wonder if...", or postulate why. Sorry to disappoint all you gossipmongers. I have absolutely no connection directly or indirectly with the maker in question, so how in the world would I know the workings of another man's business? Yes, I also make concertinas, but to assume I am an authority on another maker is kind of like being asked in Ireland, "So, you're a Canadian... Do you know Bill O'Malley? He lives over there, too." The fact is, said fictional Bill O'Malley would probably live closer to me than our friend in England. This is my last word on the issue. <_<

It would be a good idea to delete from concertina.net the original mistaken post and any references to ...

Such censorship is ridiculous and only defeats the purpose.

Jeff, you have a point, but you seem to miss mine. Do you not know about internet search engines and how they work? If the original rumor is allowed to remain on the net, it will be found and spread, with no reference to the subsequent denial. I think the potential damage to both the person the rumor is about and the person wrongly attributed as its source would far outweigh the benefit you speak of.

I do think, though, that if such "surgery" is done, a message should be posted to let folks like us know. Something from which those who saw the original posts can infer what was done, but from which the original rumor cannot be reconstructed.

Just my opinion.

"Such censorship" would make this forum even less useful than it is. Certainly there may be things that would deserve censorship but this is not one of them.

Hmm. The subject of this Topic has changed... to "censorship".

Sandy, you believe that some things might deserve censorship, but a demonstrably false rumor which could damage two reputations is not among them? I wonder what is.

you believe that some things might deserve censorship, but a demonstrably false rumor which could damage two reputations is not among them

The rumor needs to be dealt with, not hushed up. I got an e-mail this morning from Steve himself saying he is by no means out of business!

Jeff Myers

The rumor needs to be dealt with, not hushed up. I got an e-mail this morning from Steve himself saying he is by no means out of business!

I consider removing the uncorrected statement of the rumor from a public bulletin board to be part and parcel of dealing with it, not hushing it up.

Having said that, I realize that one thing that mustbe done if the rumor is not deleted is for Craig (who originally posted it) to edit his post to say that the rumor has been found to be untrue.