An Afternoon At Crabb Concertina Works

Alan Day

If you do visit the shop and the Crabb sign is still there, how about a photo of it for us all on Concertina.net?

Pete

many thanks to everyone for the information. i'll post a picture following my next visit :D

......Now, back to topic with a reminisence of a friend of mine who plays the EC. She took her beautiful Wheatstone Aeola to Crabbs many years ago to have it re-tuned. She was told to come back in three weeks, by which time it would be ready. She arrived at the counter to collect it and was served by Neville, who asked her if she would be willing to swap it for one of their new models. What a cheek! Naturally, she refused and it is still her pride and joy to this day.

Chris

Oh dear. :(

I am sure that there was a very valid reason for Nevilles suggestion of a swap but as it is not known what that reason was, perhaps third party opinions are best left unmade.

Now for those hungry for pictures, here is one of the 'Shop' taken in the early 1950's. It should be the same today due to a preservation order on the shop front. It will be noted that there is a plethora of instruments in the window, the result of low interest in the concertina at that time.

Geoff