Arran Concertina Event 2006

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of these years I hope to be able to make it, and was actually seriously looking at this year, but my brother decided to throw himself a 50th birthday party that weekend, and I shouldn't miss it.

Ach, when you get down to it, it's always parents who are to blame!

Chris

Ach, when you get down to it, it's always parents who are to blame!

Lay this one all on my brother. It would be hard to blame my parents (both long gone) since his actual birthday is a week and a half earlier.

But it's just as well, Chris. I'd hate to make the trip out there and not have a chance to meet you.

Roll call ...

old timers - me, padraigin and husband ... anyone else?

Fresh blood - Pete Dickey (are you bringing Mr Prebble?), lildogturpy, Old Leaky, Jake Jackson & partner, Richard and Anne Wilson ... so far, I think. Lots of new faces - I'll be relying on y'all to help me make this roll along. Also about to mail the concertina-playing population of Scotland today ...

Samantha

I wish I could make it, Sam. I had so much fun playing with you at the Kildonan. I wish I could be in Arran soon. I've returned to Scotland twice specifically to go to Arran. Seems like if I have enough money to get from Glasgow Central to Brodick, then nothing else seems to matter.

At least the weather here in Texas has subsided. The forty+ days of 100 degree temperatures is over. Unfortunately, all of the beeswax holding the reeds in place inside of my HOHNER concertina melted during the heatwave. Oh well. This will be the third time in a year and a half that I've sent my brand new box back to Hohner to fix. CooShite, I tell you.

I hope your concertina festival goes well!

Maybe next year. I usually come around May because the Arran Folk Festival used to happen around that time.

I'll set my sights for later in the year. It would be great to get my Arran fix and my concertina fix at the same time, which always happens, but maybe next year with your gathering would be King.

Cheers, Sam. I'm loving your CD!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, all -

I've been quiet for too long - travels and life's generalities seem to eat away time.

I am very sad to say that my plans for Arran have shut down by a work meeting

with tons of people in southern Europe all next week. It's nothing I can "excuse" myself out of, I am afraid.

Have fun!

/Henrik

We intend to :ph34r: ! I have just returned from consulting with Paula about the food, and today rang the Brewery to arrange for two pins of their finest ale to be on site, plus a case of their Celebration Ale (6% by volume) ... oh, and ther'll be some cracking concertina players here this year, too ;) !

Samantha

We intend to :ph34r: ! I have just returned from consulting with Paula about the food, and today rang the Brewery to arrange for two pins of their finest ale to be on site, plus a case of their Celebration Ale (6% by volume) ... oh, and ther'll be some cracking concertina players here this year, too ;) !

Samantha

Sounds good!

Mind you, how cracking will the players be after some Celebration Ale, not to mention samples from Lochranza distillery :rolleyes: !

I'm booked to cross on the 12.30 ferry, so if anyone wants to join me on a trip to the distillery, please let me know.

Samantha

Sounds good!

Mind you, how cracking will the players be after some Celebration Ale, not to mention samples from Lochranza distillery :rolleyes: !

I'm booked to cross on the 12.30 ferry, so if anyone wants to join me on a trip to the distillery, please let me know.

I'm proposing to try and get there for this ferry but a 300 mile drive make screw up the timing. Still we'll see how I get along and I might make it

• 3 weeks later...

So... how did it go? I trust everyone had a good time? :D

The 'something' that came up failed to materialise, but as I've had a wonderfully contagious head cold for the last week, it's just as well I backed out! :(

Are there any pictures? :o

Well I finally got around to posting some pictures on the web. Bored with all of the concertina talk, my nephew (Arran) went off for a walk and I gave him my camera to get a few extra photos. I feel they give a little bit of a flavour of the place. The pictures even include a submarine for good measure spotted from the ferry home.

You can find them here:-

http://picasaweb.google.com/Arranpics

Pete

Thats perfectly true. I'm afraid its a bit confusing going to Arran and taking my nephew Arran (who is, not surprisingly, named after the place).

Arran (nephew) is not into concertinas but loved the music in general and was overwhelmed by the island to such an extent that he wants to treat me to a return visit next year. I've got to agree that it is a truly superb place and a more pleasant and friendlier group of 'tina enthusiasts would be hard to find. Everyone was made very welcome regardless of playing style, type of concertina or degree of ability and I came away feeling very rested and also feeling I had added to my knowledge of the instrument and need to enhance my stock of Scots tunes.

Many thanks are of course due to Samantha and her hubby Dave plus various helpers including cooks and bottle-washers for their organisational skills, enthusiasm and kind welcome. My thanks also to my fellow participants for their company and fellowship throughout the weekend.

Pete