Arran Concertina Event 2006

Sorry to have left it so late to announce this, but I can confirm that the Arran Concertina Event is to be held this year from 6th to 9th October (one night longer than last year's event). The cost, inclusive of food and accommodation at Kilmory Lodge Bunkhouse from Friday supper to Monday breakfast will be £95.

The format, as last year, will be very informal with participants filling in the timetable when we all sit down together at Saturday breakfast (or maybe Friday supper ...!). I am very excited, however, to announce that I have been lent some concertina band music, mostly folk tunes in four parts, and so would be delighted to hear from anyone interested in participating in/running this side of things in advance. Anyone wishing to have sight of the music (or sound files, if I can manage it) for this should also contact me in advance. The event will be rounded off by a trip to the local session at the Ormidale in Brodick on the Sunday evening, the food will be provided by Paula ... and there will be a whip-round for concertina.net, too, as a thank you for providing the forum at which I can publicise this event.

Further information about last year's event (including information about how to get here ...) can be found by following the links at the bottom of this post. Interested parties should email or PM me to book a place.

Looking forward to hearing from you

Samantha

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this year I'm adamant that if it clashes with my daughter's return to University then she can walk or catch the bus. I'm determined to get there this time storm or no storm :angry: and I might just bring a large bearded gentleman with me in the form of Mr Prebble B)

Pete

I plan to make it to Arran this year. I think it would be great to get the band music ahead of time. At workshops where I've taken part in the band most of the time has been spent learning the music and it would be fun to already have that and work more at assembling the whole.

Anne and I will be there, though (5 stone weaklings that we are) we'll probably stay in the Lagg Hotel again. Superb scrambled eggs and just about 100 yards walk from the Lodge.

Chris

Edited to add PS: Just a thought, but last year it turned out that the night before ACE several of us were staying the night in and around Ayr in order to catch the ferry the next day. It it's the same this year can I suggest we meet up somewhere in the evening? I would suggest Ayr India, which (despite the awful pun) is a splendid Indian restaurant right on the front.

Edited by Chris Timson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thats a shame you folks can't get there as I'm sure the more people who come the better. I am looking forward to a great time although the drive may be a bit daunting. Wonder if there is a flight from Doncaster?

I've just created chaos at work as someone booked their holidays over that weekend and I've told them in no uncertain terms that I am not available come what may as I was in first - what a nerve! I'll probably come back to find all of my things in a black plastic bag on my desk :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

Hilary - what a b***er. I am SO sorry you can't come ...

Roll call ...

old timers - Chris and Anne, me ... anyone else?

Fresh blood - Pete Dickey (are you bringing Mr Prebble?), lildogturpy, Old Leaky, Jake Jackson & partner, Richard and Anne Wilson ...

Expressed interest last year but have not put their hand up yet for this year - Henrik, Stuart Estell, John Wild, Alex West, David Barnert, Helen (!?!), Geraghty?

Speak up folks, before I do a mail shot to all concertina players in Scotland .. B) .. I have the means at my disposal!

Samantha

Hilary - what a b***er. I am SO sorry you can't come ...

Roll call ...

old timers - Chris and Anne, me ... anyone else?

Fresh blood - Pete Dickey (are you bringing Mr Prebble?), lildogturpy, Old Leaky, Jake Jackson & partner, Richard and Anne Wilson ...

Expressed interest last year but have not put their hand up yet for this year - Henrik, Stuart Estell, John Wild, Alex West, David Barnert, Helen (!?!), Geraghty?

Speak up folks, before I do a mail shot to all concertina players in Scotland .. B) .. I have the means at my disposal!

Samantha

Just consulting my fellow traveller and will let you know

Pete

Well, I'm very sorry, but Anne and I are going to have to bow out due to family reasons. It's a blow because it's a great event in a great place; I know what we're missing.

The rest of you have a really good time. When you're comtemplatively sipping your dram of Arran Malt at the end of the evening, think of us!

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Well, I'm very sorry, but Anne and I are going to have to bow out due to family reasons. It's a blow because it's a great event in a great place; I know what we're missing.

The rest of you have a really good time. When you're comtemplatively sipping your dram of Arran Malt at the end of the evening, think of us!

Chris

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. We'll just have to drink yours for you ...

Samantha

Sorry but I have to miss out again. I am also missing concertinas at Witney later this month.

- John Wild

Thanks for letting met know, John (you don't have to do this publicly, you can just pm me if you're shy :ph34r: !).

Samantha