Concertina Database

This site gets alot of traffic and I thought it may be a good location for a database where concertina owners, using their "account user name(s)", could list their instrument(s) with the accompanying serial number(s) and any other identifying specifics i.e.: color, style, bellow folds, blemishes etc..

Such a database will not prevent loss (or theft), however, it at least could help in tracking down the true owners (on a Global scale) of missing concertinas. This could be of significant help when "suspicous" item turn up for sale in all the usual places.

Edited by Alfred C Dobbs

This is actually a very old debate. Some think this data (for stolen instruments only, in the debate I recall) should be widely publicly posted. Others think it should be closely held, as easy access on the Internet would just drive those who fence stolen instruments to avoid open ads or selling where they might otherwise be easily caught. Instead, someone noting a suspicious offer, could contact a keeper of a private database. I'm not taking sides here, mind you, just noting that this has been debated before on the Usenet.

I would say, nevertheless, that you should mark your instrument and/or keep a good description of it.

This site gets alot of traffic and I thought it may be a good location for a database where concertina owners, using their "account user name(s)", could list their instrument(s) with the accompanying serial number(s) and any other identifying specifics i.e.: color, style, bellow folds, blemishes etc..

Such a database will not prevent loss (or theft), however, it at least could help in tracking down the true owners (on a Global scale) of missing concertinas. This could be of significant help when "suspicous" item turn up for sale in all the usual places.

Something tells me that such a database would go out of date very quickly, as all web-based information does. Unless everyone remembers to update it every time a concertina changes hands legitimately, the information will be of no value.

DoN Nichols already maintains a database of stolen concertinas at http://www.d-and-d.com/tinas/stolen.html . Those of us with instruments that have not been stolen would do well to record all the information in a safe place and publicize it in the event of theft, but there's no reason to create a database of instruments waiting to be stolen.

Hi Alfred and David,

Nice to see you folks registered with proper names.

Not a lot of use really knowing that Wheatstone English No 2815* belongs to ‘Splodge’ and Lachenal Anglo No. 1285*6 belongs to 'stagimasher' ! ;)

Seriously though, just a quick plea to those who registered 'screen names' in error/panic when the forum changed over and have yet to amend their details - name, rough location and interests etc please take a minute to review your entries in ‘ My Controls’.

I, (and & I’m sure quite a few others) feel much more at ease speaking to ‘real names’ or am I just becoming a reactionary ‘old f*rt’

Sorry fellas, I digress.

Having had some serious problems with hijackers and hackers recently, my confidence in computer security had taken somewhat of a knock.

I don’t think I would be first in line to add details of my instruments onto a remote server, conveniently stacked up with those of hundreds of other folk's instruments and details.

As David rightly says is really the responsibility of each of us to ensure that we record sufficient details, valuation certificates, receipts and clear photos of our instruments for both identification and insurance purposes and keep these records in a safe place for use in the event of emergencies. Mine are lodged in a separate signed , dated and sealed envelope along with other personal papers at the Bank.

Where a site like this comes into it’s own is if the owner considers it best to publish the details of missing or stolen instruments. Something C.Net has always been happy to do whenever asked.

A better form of 'attack' may well be to post this identification information off to all the dealers and repairers the instant the instrument goes missing.

Regards

Dave

Sorry Ken, I didn't see your post when I wrote above..dave

Edited by Dave Prebble

I, (and & I’m sure quite a few others) feel much more at ease speaking to ‘real names’ or am I just becoming a reactionary ‘old f*rt’

Dave, I'm with you on this one.

Also, the answer to your question is probably yes, and if so, me too...

Chris

Join the crowd. Perhaps we should start a club. I nominate Tom Hall for president as he is a card carrying curmudgeon. I can prove it, I have one of his 'business' cards here in front of me.

Actually I notice that so far everyone in this thread has a 'real' screen name. Nice. Those with 'handles' need not apply???

Edited by Sandy Winters

I have a handle, but I usually add my real name at the end of posts.

I have only a Jackie, with no identifying marks and as far as I can tell no serial number on it anywhere. Since it has trade in value, I am not in any hurry to change it's looks.

I have been warned by this thread though, so I will have to think of something now. Perhaps something to do with the thumb strap.

Thanks.

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"