Must Pose Like Statue Of Liberty; English Concertina Forbidden!?

:) 'Happy Fourth Of July' to my fellow Americans, and my apologies to any English people who may feel offended, but then again, it's all (to me) just obsolete history and I wasn't around back then, during the days when the early Americans tossed that wonderful British tea into Boston Harbor.

Sorry!

Me, I have been drinking tea and using the tea bags as hot compresses on my bad thumb, and pouring the remaining boiled water into my hot-water bottle. Though, since undergoing thumb surgery on Monday, I must leave the gauze wraps on until Wednesday, and (theoretically) maintain a physical pose that resembles the one made famous by the Statue Of Liberty! Ha ha.

Ironically, if I were not forced to play this role over this holiday, I would be playing my....(shhhh!)...my ENGLISH concertina!

So, yeah, I had to have my thumb lanced, due to it having become badly infected, and was told to keep it elevated and so on. I'd hoped to make July an intense month of practicing my EC but....won't be happening. (I'd become very run-down lately but didn't realize I was getting sick enough to need antibiotics, which I now have, and since taking them I've started to feel much better.)

Actually, regarding the historical significances of this day, of course the early Americans didn't dislike the English as a people, since they, too, were essentially English. But, I'm no historian; my point was just to mention the irony of my own lamentable recent circumstances.

As a matter of fact, due to my own particular family backgrounds, I've often felt 'alien' living here in America (since I am not a Native American, though I love those people), and cherished little heirlooms or keepsakes from ancestors are often things more connected to England or some other European country than they are actually 'American.'

Anyway, I typed this on wordpad with two fingers. Thanks for reading. Pic of my thumb all wrapped up is at my frappr site, and also included in the thread about 'I may play at a block party in July.'

And, if you ask me, the Statue Of Liberty doesn't like that pose....it's a hard one to keep up!

As a matter of fact, due to my own particular family backgrounds, I've often felt 'alien' living here in America (since I am not a Native American, though I love those people), and cherished little heirlooms or keepsakes from ancestors are often things more connected to England or some other European country than they are actually 'American.'

:D I used to work in a library and it was amazing the number of Americans we'd get in looking for their 'English/Yorkshire roots' unfortunately scince Finlklestein ,Shultz et al are not really usual names around here we had to point them several hundred miles east onto the European mainland :lol:

:D I used to work in a library and it was amazing the number of Americans we'd get in looking for their 'English/Yorkshire roots' unfortunately scince Finlklestein ,Shultz et al are not really usual names around here we had to point them several hundred miles east onto the European mainland :lol:

Annl, I just took a peek at your Avatar enlarged -- looks like one of those bulls at Alan Day's wedding got ahold of your concertina!

Annl, I just took a peek at your Avatar enlarged -- looks like one of those bulls at Alan Day's wedding got ahold of your concertina!

I was playing in a pub called 'The Red Dragon' at the time and someone had a red dragon hand puppet so naturally........... :D

'I used to work in a library and it was amazing the number of Americans we'd get in looking for their 'English/Yorkshire roots' unfortunately scince Finlklestein ,Shultz et al are not really usual names around here we had to point them several hundred miles east onto the European mainland'

My first job on leaving school was working in a shop selling kilts and all things tartan (in London). We used to get the same people asking which clan they belonged to. We would look it up in a large book, declare them to be a sept (branch) of the Campbells (largest lowland clan with lots of septs) and try to sell them a full dress kilt (very expensive). It worked sometimes too!

Chris

My first job on leaving school was working in a shop selling kilts and all things tartan (in London). We used to get the same people asking which clan they belonged to. We would look it up in a large book, declare them to be a sept (branch) of the Campbells (largest lowland clan with lots of septs) and try to sell them a full dress kilt (very expensive). It worked sometimes too!

Chris

Hey, I'm in that clan, too, ya know! :) Or so I was told. Has to do with my Scottish great-great grandfather. But, really, I guess that just means that his family (Fletcher) was 'conquered' by Campbell, or...sumthin' like that. Anyway....

For my father's family, someone went to the trouble of getting incredibly detailed geneological info, all the way back to the Mayflower and before that, to William The Conquerer's bunch.

Recently, though, only because I had absolutely no clue about my maternal/maternal great-grandmother's history (the Scotsman divorced her and she was kind of 'X'ed out of the famly) -- I had a mitrochondrial DNA test done. A bit ridiculous, maybe...but....well, some people buy full dress kilts, too!

Anyway, she traces to, most likely, Western Europe. So, now I know. Still no family pics or anything, though, I did meet her one time and I remember her.

There's no point in ancestral pride, but, people have it anyway. Well, maybe it's at least something fun to bother with.

Re my statement about feeling 'alien' etc. -- I just mean that I was always acutely aware of the trials and tribulations of the Native Americans, not that I was personally picked on. No, in fact....if I had to choose, my European roots or to join the Native Americans, I'd choose the latter. Or, in other words, I don't consider myself a 'Euro-American,' I'm just an American.

Anyway...we all celebrate freedom, I think!

As a matter of fact, due to my own particular family backgrounds, I've often felt 'alien' living here in America

I am sure we would make you most welcome over here if you decided you had to emigrate. :rolleyes:

Hope the thumb heals well.

best wishes

John

e, I have been drinking tea and using the tea bags as hot compresses on my bad thumb, and pouring the remaining boiled water into my hot-water bottle. Though, since undergoing thumb surgery on Monday, I must leave the gauze wraps on until Wednesday, and (theoretically) maintain a physical pose that resembles the one made famous by the Statue Of Liberty! Ha ha.

How is your thumb this morning, has it improved?

Actually, the teabags treatments I did before I went to the doctor, and I'll start them again after I remove the gauze dressing. I feel a slight bit of pain still, so, there must be a thumb in there, somewhere! I'm waiting to unwrap my thumb when the doctor's office is open, so if there's a problem, I can call them.

Thanks for asking and I'll let you know! Hopefully no problem.

John...thanks, you never know, I could decide to move to the other side of the pond someday! I have been to London, at least, once (before I even thought of a concertina), enjoyed the trip very much. We did take a train ride and may been near you, I'm not sure...can't remember.

It was just a quick trip, but 2 things stand out in my mind....I had really good pea soup at the hotel we stayed at, and that was a first -- what they used to serve us at my school here, no one would eat. The other thing....there seemed to be a ghost in our hotel room, and one that liked chocolate!

My husband left a half-eaten chocolate bar, in its wrapper, on the dresser. One night, after the three of us had gone to bed and my daughter was sound asleep in her bed, my husband got up again and left the room for a moment to do something....I can't remember what, just remember telling him not to go out wandering around for a long time since it was so late, etc..

Anyway, suddenly I heard the candy wrapper being opened. I could eventually see enough to see that there was no one there, no one in the place but my daughter (asleep) and me. My husband was definitely not in the room, and so....something invisible had tried to eat our chocolate, I guess!

We used to get the same people asking which clan they belonged to. We would look it up in a large book, declare them to be a sept (branch) of the Campbells (largest lowland clan with lots of septs) and try to sell them a full dress kilt (very expensive). It worked sometimes too!

A few years back, I did some research into kilts, and discovered not only that the kilt we think of today is English in origin, but that clan-specific tartans are a modern convention.

Though, since undergoing thumb surgery on Monday, I must leave the gauze wraps on until Wednesday, and (theoretically) maintain a physical pose that resembles the one made famous by the Statue Of Liberty! Ha ha.
Reminds me of Dean Moriarty in Jack Kerouac's On the Road. Ever read it?
I don't consider myself a 'Euro-American,' I'm just an American.
Since the indigenous people use the term "Native American," I like to call myself an "American Native." I was born here and I don't belong anywhere else.

Though, since undergoing thumb surgery on Monday, I must leave the gauze wraps on until Wednesday, and (theoretically) maintain a physical pose that resembles the one made famous by the Statue Of Liberty! Ha ha.
Reminds me of Dean Moriarty in Jack Kerouac's On the Road. Ever read it?

I think we have a copy of that in our house...I'll have to look for it.

I don't consider myself a 'Euro-American,' I'm just an American.
Since the indigenous people use the term "Native American," I like to call myself an "American Native." I was born here and I don't belong anywhere else.

I never thought of that...that's a good way of putting it!

Well, an update...

My thumb has been unwrapped, and it looks horrible, but I know that the surgery had to be done. It may eventually look better. I've already stuck it into the concertina thumb strap and played lightly for a few seconds -- I may add that as a regular treatment along with soaking it (the thumb, not the concertina), because if my thumb is going to be forever misshapen and strange, it can at least conform to the position it needs to be in!

As well, the surgeon thinks my ongoing skin problem may be more serious than previously thought, so tomorrow I'll be getting some lab work done.

I'm slightly 'in shock' but yet I did expect this, so, overall, I'm okay.

As well, the surgeon thinks my ongoing skin problem may be more serious than previously thought, so tomorrow I'll be getting some lab work done.

Oh, honey, you take care of yourself and get better, ok? Keep us posted! And yes, give yourself the gift of music therapy and play that concertina just a little (not too much, you want to keep healing)!

I wish I could rush over there with some chicken soup or something. Come on, folks, let's get Wendy laughing!

Here's a joke my daughter told me today. She read it in her Rolling Stone magazine!

What's the last thing a drummer says before he's kicked out of the band???

"Hey guys! I wrote some songs!"

:rolleyes:

Oh, honey, you take care of yourself and get better, ok? Keep us posted! And yes, give yourself the gift of music therapy and play that concertina just a little (not too much, you want to keep healing)!

I wish I could rush over there with some chicken soup or something. Come on, folks, let's get Wendy laughing!

Here's a joke my daughter told me today. She read it in her Rolling Stone magazine!

What's the last thing a drummer says before he's kicked out of the band???

"Hey guys! I wrote some songs!"

:rolleyes:

Thanks for well-wishes!

I did actually just laugh at something funny, too. I have a cat that LOVES the music I have at my frappr website -- it plays automatically when the page loads -- is EC and a bass flute, and wind chimes, a random mix of tracks that I did with Audacity software.

When she hears it, she gets all charmed and lovey and curls up on my lap and seems quite blissful. Lately, it's been the only music that I've happened to play via my laptop, and sometimes for the purpose of calming this cat, since she gets 'psycho' sometimes and fights.

However, I just opened an American Greeting email commemorating 'Rock N Roll' day or something, and this 1950s rock stuff was playing. My cat just froze and stared at my laptop like it's from outer space! Like, 'WHAT IS THIS?!'

I don't think she likes rock 'n roll, hehe.

(Ha ha, and I'm glad I just caught my typo....I'd typed 'hell-wishes' instead of 'well-wishes.')