Enjoying The Concertina...thanks!

It’s just a little intimidating being the new kid on the block. And I’m rather shy anyway, but just wanted to say how much I am enjoying the concertina. I have an old 22-button box, label says “Barnett Samuel and Son”, “31, Houndsditch, London”. I’ve been playing for nearly 2 months, probably completely wrong in every respect. No teacher, no method books. I just sit and read from all my whistle and mandolin books. I’m convinced that the best way to make any progress on any musical instrument is to spend time sight reading every day. I’m so forgetful anymore that what I’ve played 2 weeks ago is automatically put back in the sight reading section of my library. Looks new to me.

Here's my first recording, a slow air, "Ar Eirinn ni nEosfainn Ce hi"

I appreciate this forum and all the knowledge you guys and gals share. Thanks so much!

Gary McLarry

I’ve been playing for nearly 2 months, probably completely wrong in every respect. No teacher, no method books. I just sit and read from all my whistle and mandolin books.

Hi Gary,

Well, that's much better than I could have managed after two months, so you must be doing something right.

Regards,

Peter.

No teacher, no method books. Gary McLarry

Snap :D It was a good few years before I came across another concertina player by which time I was playing in a ceildah band and for Morris so it was too late to change anything of my playing style. It was funny though as folk would tell me that such and such a tune was impossible on the Anglo but being self taught and not knowing any better I'd already have it in the repertoire :lol: Have a go at any tune you fancy, it's suprising what works and it's great fun trying different things. I envy you the sight reading, a skill I've never mastered.