Big Mystery - Decide For Yourselves

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all, why was the possibility of a >30 button Anglo (G/D?) playing across-the-rows ruled out? (Assuming the tape speed was off by a semitone and it starts in G.) Is it the low bass notes?

Hi Theodore,

Generally, when I listen to an old recording, I try to keep an open mind. However, part of the deduction process is based on what I know (or think I know!), and past experience.

It's worth noting, that many years ago (and I'm assuming the pre/post WW1 era), it was said that some of the musicians were so good that you really could not tell whether they were playing English, Anglo, or Duet (i.e. the same debate that we are having over this artist).

I listened to the chording which, to me, felt more "Duet" than "Anglo", plus where the melody hits the higher notes, I would have thought this extremely difficult on Anglo. Anglo is my main instrument, and I would tend to juggle the melody between octaves, at this point. I'm guessing that the recording dates from the late 1950's, and I'm only aware of two Anglo players from that era; William Kimber and Scan Tester, and it's definitely neither of those.

Regards,

Peter.

Not that it's a likely solution to the mystery, but: Is it known whether any of the English makers ever constructed a "special-order" instrument to the 38-button Chemnitzer layout?

Seek, and ye shall find. ;)

Wow... Judging by the one side visible in that photo, that's actually the 51- or 52- button layout. Certainly it could play the notes as written. Who bought these? Did they ever record "Bluebell Polka"?

I happened to buy the one which Marcus had, at Chippenham. Couldn't really afford it (he's been very good regarding payment), but thought that I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Regards,

Peter.

Let me know if I can help in any way... You've probably heard me say that the way I approached it was to treat it rather like a typwriter, and to return my left-hand 3/2/1 fingers to the C, E and G buttons (assuming a C box) and my right-hand 2/3/4 fingers to the CEG also. This means you have your right-hand first finger conveniently placed to range around the overlap.

I'm a touch-typist, so this approach came very naturally. My guess is that something similar will work for others though...

Gav

Wheatstone Chemnitzer. ;)Wow... Judging by the one side visible in that photo, that's actually the 51- or 52- button layout.

Read the text. It's a 52.

Who bought these? Did they ever record "Bluebell Polka"?

So far, all the information I'm aware of is in the above-linked thread.

Could it be that you're in a position to put out some queries to folks you know in the area where it was put on eBay? We'd all like to know more.

Let me know if I can help in any way... You've probably heard me say that the way I approached it was to treat it rather like a typwriter, and to return my left-hand 3/2/1 fingers to the C, E and G buttons (assuming a C box) and my right-hand 2/3/4 fingers to the CEG also. This means you have your right-hand first finger conveniently placed to range around the overlap.

I'm a touch-typist, so this approach came very naturally. My guess is that something similar will work for others though...

Gav

Thanks Gavin. I seem to be doing fine, so far, but had a shock when I went back to Anglo :unsure: . Guess that I'll get used to it, and Anglo playing has returned to normal!

On the plus side, it is doing wonders for my arms. Now, when I pick up the Anglo, it feels like someone has nicked the reed-pans. Which reminds me of a story which I once heard, about someone who left his box unattended at a festival, only to find that a "friend" had taken off the ends, and turned the reed-pans around!

Regards,

Peter.

The other title for it is Roaring Jelly! :D Please be sa' kind as to insert "Windows" for the poor "Widows".

And "jigs" for "gigs" (jobs), no?

I know the tune by both names, and for a long time I speculated that "roaring jelly" referred to the explosive named "gelignite" (pronounced "jell-ig-nite"), which could well result in smashed windows. But then someone told me that the tune has had both names since long before gelignite was invented. Does anyone here know more?

The other title for it is Roaring Jelly!

I remember them; a great group. Always thought it was a strange name for a tune, though.

They are still around Peter and rehearse over in Lexington. A wild group of people.

Sorry about the gig vs. jig thing Jim. I always have to think twice for in my head it is "gigue" a term from one of those other musical lives I live.

Edited by Mark Evans

"Bluebell Polka" sounded to me at first like a single player on accordion (although one with strange reeds). But listening a bit more, the chords and bass notes may be too flexible to be an accordion. Colonel Bogey sounds like a single duet player to me. And it sounds like the same recording session, although probably with different mic placement.

No, Colonel Bogey can't be a single duet as it clearly shows the different volumes in the secondary themes that jim suggests shows 'Bluebell' is an ensemble piece. I'm not sure if he's right on BB but it definitely applies here

No, Colonel Bogey can't be a single duet as it clearly shows the different volumes in the secondary themes that jim suggests shows 'Bluebell' is an ensemble piece. I'm not sure if he's right on BB but it definitely applies here

Listening to this one track, in isolation, again, has now sown a seed of doubt in my mind. Not for the reason which you have quoted, but on the passage where there are the multiple repeated notes in the melody line. I'm not certain that this would be easy to do on a duet. :unsure:

Do you know I'm with you there. It would be a smallish accordian to explain the rather creaky chords in the 'C' tune. But the bass does have a different tone to the tune which I could believe was an accordian, and the chords are very precise.