School Morris

:D I went to our local primary school's summer fair today, they have two Morris sides, a girls and a boys ( the boys do sword) who were dancing their socks off. There was only one musician, one of the teachers, with a melodeon so I ambled across after the dances and asked if she could use a concertina player........ :) my details are now lodged in the school records and with any luck some of the children might get interested in playing concertina as well as dancing the Morris.

:D I went to our local primary school's summer fair today, they have two Morris sides, a girls and a boys ( the boys do sword) who were dancing their socks off.

I played for a school mayday event this year, with a boy's Cotswold side that performed their first dance. Very rewarding; these kids had a great time, even if the practices were a little on the rambunctious side (give a group of 12 year old boys sticks, and you know what happens).

Apparently being in the school Morris side is regarded in the same light as making it into the sports teams, in the entrance hall there are photographs of the victorious football/hockey/rounders teams and.....the triumphant beaming faces of the Morris sides :D

We had a mixed kids border morris in oughtibridge, 'The Morris Minors', but the kids grew up, everything has its day.

Most the of kids belonged to parents that danced or played, or both so sometimes the band was almost as big (in numbers) as the troup, and just as daft.

Dave

:D I went to our local primary school's summer fair today, they have two Morris sides, a girls and a boys ( the boys do sword) who were dancing their socks off. There was only one musician, one of the teachers, with a melodeon so I ambled across after the dances and asked if she could use a concertina player........ :) my details are now lodged in the school records and with any luck some of the children might get interested in playing concertina as well as dancing the Morris.

I'd be interested to know the story of the concertina; Rosewood Lachenal with new 7-fold bellows? Did I see brass buttons? etc

I'd be interested to know the story of the concertina; Rosewood Lachenal with new 7-fold bellows? Did I see brass buttons? etc

Hi Paul,

The photo caption suggests a Dipper, and I think that I recognise Rosalie's wonderful bellows.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Paul,

The photo caption suggests a Dipper, and I think that I recognise Rosalie's wonderful bellows.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter, I didn't see the caption before.

Caption? What caption? Even after reading the above, I don't see a caption. Not on the page with the thumbnail (only "CLICK TO ENLARGE" there) nor on the enlarged photo. Where do I need to look? :unsure:

Where do I need to look? :unsure:
Hover your mouse on the centre of the picture. The details show for about a second, then disappear.

Ah, yes! Part of my problem was that "caption" isn't a name I use for such "hints". I was looking for something permanently visible and adjacent to the picture.

Hi Paul,

Regards,

Peter.

Yes it's a Dipper :D a 30 button C/G Anglo, bought new ( ordered 1989, delivered Oct 1992 ) the button caps are gold (old Wheatstone stock) and I asked for 7 fold bellows instead of 6 fold. It's a pleasure to play, very responsive and equally good for quiet ballad tunes, bouncy ceildah tunes and playing Morris tunes in the open air. The rosewood came from an old piano, the ultimate recycled instrument :D

Edited by annl

Yes it's a Dipper :D a 30 button C/G Anglo, bought new ( ordered 1989, delivered Oct 1992 ) the button caps are gold (old Wheatstone stock) and I asked for 7 fold bellows instead of 6 fold. It's a pleasure to play, very responsive and equally good for quiet ballad tunes, bouncy ceildah tunes and playing Morris tunes in the open air. The rosewood came from an old piano, the ultimate recycled instrument :D

It looks like a beauty - and delivery in THREE years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks like a beauty - and delivery in THREE years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must have been very lucky and caught them at a 'quieter' time, mind you I needed at least 3 years to save up the balance, every spare penny went into the concertina fund :D

We had a mixed kids border morris in oughtibridge, 'The Morris Minors', but the kids grew up, everything has its day.

Dave

Most of the primary/junior schools around here have Morris/Sword/Clog or Maypole dance sides, it's accepted as normal. Where they all get to once they leave school I don't know but there is a vast 'bank' of morris dancers who may well come back to it once they get past the teenage years, when they find it just too embarrasing and have dicovered other interests to occupy them :D

Hover your mouse on the centre of the picture. The details show for about a second, then disappear.

Regards,

Peter.

Oh right...but when I do as you suggest, it would appear that the concertina is made by the 'Attached Image' company! :blink:

Regards,

Peter.

Oh right...but when I do as you suggest, it would appear that the concertina is made by the 'Attached Image' company! :blink:

Hi Paul,

My initial thought was that perhaps you needed to change your mouse! However, I then considered whether you needed to change your web browser; I normally run on Mozilla Firefox. I cranked up Microsoft Internet Explorer, and, guess what, same result as you.

Regards,

Peter.