Juliette Plays " L'enfant Demon "

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recorded in an ancient Templar Church on Sunday June 25.

Juliette

WOW!!

Whisper to compensate: Humbly appologise for shouting, but I think this deserves it!

Thanks for the listen

Leo

Edited by Leo

Hi Juliette

Was your beautiful tune composed by Claude Thomain?

Hi Laitch,

Yes, he wrote it, the arrangement is mine that I based the accordion music. This is a piece that most French accordion players learn here in France. I think that it sounds different when played on the concertina.

I will be posting a list of the pieces in my repertoire soon. These are the pieces that I know by heart and plan to record. I will also post one more example of my playing in the next few days and then I'll make other pieces available on my website that I hope to have up and running soon.

I really appreciate the input from everyone here, it is encouraging and helps me to practice a lot harder.

Thanks,

Juliette

"Well, if Juliette is half as good a tutor as she is musician, you'll be in good hands."

Keep us posted.

Regards,

Peter.

Thank you Peter for all the positive things you've said. However I don't teach as I consider myself still a student and it will be some years before I could ever think of teaching. From the beginning of my playing I've dreamed of being able to play for others.

From the time I was a small child, I've always had the greatest pleasure and happiness from giving things that I've made to others. I think of my concertina playing like that and it’s like a dream come true to me to think that I'm getting closer to realizing that dream. It's really scary too, though, because things don't always come so easy to me and I have to work very hard to learn anything.

Of course, it would be great if someone just sent me a pair of good microphones, but I will do as is normal for me and find a way to buy what I need by myself. I have several concertinas that were given to me by my father that he suggested I could sell to get what I need. I have a Suttner English concertina, 48 keys with black wooden ends that is still in new condition. I'm told that these sell for about 5,000 euros new, but if anyone on the news group made me a fair offer, I would probably take it and get the equipment. I had been keeping it for a back up in case something happened to my Wheatstone, but I want to make a good recording and I know that will require some good equipment.

There is no place in my area that rents sound equipment and if they do so in Paris, that is 5 hours away from me and it's not too practical. I don't want to record in a studio, it doesn't appeal to me. I like to play in different places like the churches, along side streams, in hollows of the gorges and the like. So I need smaller equipment that I can take around with me. I want to sell recordings that are as much like real playing as possible and not doctored up in a sound laboratory. That way, when I get a chance to come to play in your area, I will sound about the same as on my recordings, mistakes and all.

Thank you,

Juliette

I don't want to record in a studio, it doesn't appeal to me. I like to play in different places like the churches, along side streams, in hollows of the gorges and the like. So I need smaller equipment that I can take around with me. I want to sell recordings that are as much like real playing as possible and not doctored up in a sound laboratory. That way, when I get a chance to come to play in your area, I will sound about the same as on my recordings, mistakes and all.

Hi Juliette,

This sounds like the true "live album"; great.

Whilst I admire what can be done in the studio (effects etc.), it's often a shame when you know that this can never be replicated in a live performance.

Regards,

Peter.

Whilst I admire what can be done in the studio (effects etc.), it's often a shame when you know that this can never be replicated in a live performance.

While I applaud the sentiment Peter, I would take issue on the last bit of your statement. Very little track on track is done anymore in the folk or classical field. Most quality engingeers work for a "live" sound and energy by having participants record in real time. In an excellent studio there will not be the intrusion of an airplane or emergency vehicle. Even an on site recording benefits from an extra pair of ears.

Now an old dog, I have a garbage sack full of live recordings of myself going back some 30 years. Those mistakes don't gloss over with time. There are very few that I can listen to without clinching up as I know the mistake is coming up in the next measure. Each time I hope it will not be there, that somehow the recording gods have granted me a miracle...mais non.

I have a live recording of a show my beloved Shady Grove did in a folk club in Toulouse while Ronald Regan was president :blink: . The sound man was great, the energy in the hall was wonderful, our vocal harmony beautiful, my concertina intro as I always dreamed and then I picked up the freakin' pennywhistle and played the worst break of my life :( . We have no other recording of the song that was our name...what a shame.

Edited by Mark Evans

Now an old dog..........

Careful; you're only 6 months older than me! :(

Sorry Peter. I'm afraid I burnt the candle at both ends and then tried to set the thing alight in the middle as well. The trip was fun however.

Mark, I am about to drive home from work, and it occurred to me that I pass Milford on 495. Have a nice evening, neighbor.

What a suprise! I assumed your location must be France. Yes, we are neighbors in a very American sort of way and perhaps a visit can be arranged. 495, what a beastly road. I avoid it at all costs.