Juliette Plays " L'enfant Demon "

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've got a lot of passion for your work and it is very moving to listen to. Templar church...very cool.

Many years ago I was alone in a stone church in Avila in front of the sculpted tomb of a lord and lady from the middle ages. I had the strongest inclination to play them a tune and just didn't have the temerity to do so. I wish now I had.

I believe we will hear great things from you.

I think that we already have!

I agree completely. Sorry, If I in any way gave the impression that what we have been treated to was less that spectacular. She's a remarkable artist and I too look forward to what lies ahead for her :) .

Recorded in an ancient Templar Church on Sunday June 25. Please forgive the 20 seconds of silence before the music starts.

Juliette

Demon playing indeed! Are you sure you were playing your concertina and not the church organ, Juliette? I think the 20 seconds of silence is very appropriate, given the church setting, and a nice lead in. Simply wonderful.

Chris

Recorded in an ancient Templar Church on Sunday June 25. Please forgive the 20 seconds of silence before the music starts.

Juliette

Terrific. Wonderful sound. Thank you.

BTW--The silence is ok by me too, but you can remove silences easily with freeware like Audacity.

BTW--The silence is ok by me too, but you can remove silences easily with freeware like Audacity.

Apologies for the thread drift... but actually I tried that last night (with one of my recordings). All I did was import into Audacity, cut some silence at the end, and export as mp3 (using the lame encoder). Even though the original and exported mp3s were at 128kbps, and the exported was only marginly smaller file-size than the original, it had really significant artifacts that aren't there in the original. So - I wouldn't use Audacity to do this, unless you're happy with the loss in quality or don't mind experimenting to configure/replace the mp3 encoder plugin (that's my guess as to where the problem was, but I didn't have time to investigate much).

I wouldn't recommend re-encoding any MP3 that's already been encoded. There are a few programs that can edit MP3s without re-encoding them, I think Sound Forge is one of them but it's been a while. A better rule of thumb though is to keep a copy of everything in WAV (or whatever format is native to the program you're using), and don't lose it! :).

That said, I think the music the concertina is capable of producing may be more subject to MP3 artifacts than other instruments. It seems like I can hear many wavelengths simultaneously when I listen. You all may have better luck with Windows Media 9 format, in variable bit rate.

Also, somebody donate a decent microphone to Juliette! :P

A Sound Forge trial is available at http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/Step2.asp?DID=559

Also, somebody donate a decent microphone to Juliette! :P

Perhaps there is already movement afoot to help this remarkable young woman get in a recording studio. That being said, an on site (templar chapel) digital recording with a pair of Neuman microphones could capture something that already sends chills down my spine. This artist is unique and sophisticated with a potential to push some boundries that deserves encouragement.

Edited by Mark Evans

I personally don't own any high end microphones, but perhaps someone here would be trusting enough to lend them to her, along with a device that can record digitally in 24/96

By the way, I'm Adam. Her friend. She's trying to get me into the concertina.

Edited by MyFutureSelfnMe

Guest Mick Diles
By the way, I'm Adam. Her friend. She's trying to get me into the concertina.

You'd better listen to her!!

Recorded in an ancient Templar Church on Sunday June 25.
Excellent! Is this your own composition?
That said, I think the music the concertina is capable of producing may be more subject to MP3 artifacts than other instruments.
The same goes for a capella voices; it also shows that all encoders are not equal. (By definition decoders are supposed to be equal, except for mathematical rounding error.)
I personally don't own any high end microphones, but perhaps someone here would be trusting enough to lend them to her, along with a device that can record digitally in 24/96
Don't they have equipment rentals in France?
You'd better listen to her!!
Will the real Mick Diles please stand up? We thought you were a figment!

That said, I think the music the concertina is capable of producing may be more subject to MP3 artifacts than other instruments.
The same goes for a capella voices; it also shows that all encoders are not equal. (By definition decoders are supposed to be equal, except for mathematical rounding error.)

I disagree, in fact all MP3 decoders are not equal. Some may produce overbright output and some may produce more accurate but dull output. Whether this results from different reverse DCT algorithms or postprocessing, I can't say. Either way, the format is dated and I hate to see good music mangled by it. WMA uses a much sharper (if a bit overbright) algorithm. And the encoders/decoders will all be created equal, because there is only one. For better or worse, this algorithm is better suited to concertina music. Plus it does 24/96.

Don't they have equipment rentals in France

Good point.

It's going to be a long road. I haven't played any instrument regularly since about age 12.

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the Forum.

Age shouldn't be a problem, especially if you've played instruments previously. I didn't start until I was 26, and I don't think that it's adversely affected me. Better to start when you want to, rather than be forced to do it as a child, then lose interest.

Well, if Juliette is half as good a tutor as she is musician, you'll be in good hands.

Keep us posted.

Regards,

Peter.