Rochelle To Be C/g Only

I have heard from Mr Wakker, that the very good value Rochelle is to be C/G only which is a shame (in my opinion). I have a "good" C/G by Andy Norman and wanted a cheap G/D anglo - at least until I can afford another Norman box :D .

Accordion reeds are cheap, even allowing for the cost of fitting on top of the original price of a Rochelle, you would still have a cheap concertina.

How are the reeds mounted on a Rochelle? I'd assume that they're the same as on a Jackie, but I don't know how they're mounted on a Jackie either.

I too asked Wim about a G/D Rochelle--and I asked about a baritone and got the same answer.

Daniel

Accordion reeds are cheap, even allowing for the cost of fitting on top of the original price of a Rochelle, you would still have a cheap concertina.

On a Jackie they are mounted "vertically", on blocks, accordion style. The blocks are not removable, they are glued on. Non-removeable reedblocks make reed replacement a little more troublesome, but not difficult.

It is probably indelicate to ask in an open forum the likely cost of such a conversion - I'll send you a PM.

On a Jackie they are mounted "vertically", on blocks, accordion style. The blocks are not removable, they are glued on. Non-removeable reedblocks make reed replacement a little more troublesome, but not difficult.
Are the reeds waxed onto the blocks or mounted in some other way?

I would bet they are mounted with wax. If they are using reed blocks as opposed to a reed pan, it wouldn't make much sense to develop a new method of mounting the reeds.

--

Bill

I would bet they are mounted with wax. If they are using reed blocks as opposed to a reed pan, it wouldn't make much sense to develop a new method of mounting the reeds.

--

Bill

Some Bastari/Hohner/Gremlin concertinas have accordion type reedblocks with reeds mounted on leather gaskets and retained by screws. Some top end accordions use this method too. The Jackie has its reeds waxed in, I'd be surprised if the Rochelle was any different.