Case For Small Bandonion?

try making your own. i have about 25. in this one i made for my concertina, the hardest thing was finding the right size case to start with, which i found at wallgreens drug store. it was a make up case. i found plenty of bigger ones. the probem was finding one small enough where i didnt have to much padding

post-1473-1150400195_thumb.jpg

Finally a subject I'm familar with. Airline storage is at a premium on a good day. Depending on whether you are the first or the last on the airplane makes a big difference. About the only space guaranteed is the space under the seat in front of you where your feet go. That being so length of flight makes a big difference in comfort. The type of airplane even on a short trip can be restricted. Window seats have the least room. Sitting in an upright position, legs back for an hour cramps my legs. After takeoff it's possible to pull your bag back under your legs and put your feet where they should go over your bag, just rember to put it back for landing. The overhead on some smaller aircraft are only considered a coat and hat rack, therefore not much room guaranteed. Larger airplanes even though there is more space try thinking few hundred people fighting for more space for my stuff over my head. It's funny to watch. Now the suggestion: soft has more advantages in this application only for the slight give in the sides and padding for different configured seats. It will be taken care of by me and I'm very careful with my stuff. Chance of damage if I'm careful is slight.

Can't speak for outside the airplane or type of trip, or other baggage, purse, suitcase etc., whether camping for a week when you get there, or hotel, or obligations on trip, which might make another difference or another suggestion.

I would not want to check my instrument. I would prefer to carry it. I have more control over it. I believe there is a limit of 22 inches on the longest length of carry on baggage. You might want to check with the airline you are traveling on for more specifics. As a last resort, at one time you could purchase a seat for your instrument, ( have you ever seen a viola strapped into a seat. At one time it could be done, but I don't know about now after security restrictions.)

Again soft padded in this application might be the way to go.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. I hope it helps.

Leo

try making your own.
If I have time, I may try.
Any ideas on where to get it? I've been looking at various online dealers, and can't find one of just the right dimensions. Edited by Theodore Kloba

Any ideas on where to get it? I've been looking at various online dealers, and can't find one of just the right dimensions.

Being somewhat new here I'm probably limited in scope to what I can suggest, However I've dealt with Button Box and in my opinion find them first rate to deal with, and nice helpful people. I might bring up the price issue. Again I'm not familiar with a lot of concertina info. I like "chainyanker"s case. Looks nice for me in another application. I hope it's not patented or copyrighted.

Anything here: http://buttonbox.com/cases.shtml ???

Other than this, a tubular or rectangular nylon gymnasium type bag, side zipper on the length, shoulder strap with my own padding might work depending on the shape of the instrument. Lots of different sizes and colors to choose from. And I can't imagine it to be too expensive, and easy to inspect going through security. If they ask tell them it's a squeeze box musical instrument, not concertina. They might think it's razor wire.

I've read a previous discussion on soft/hard cases: http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2133 with some other insight that might be helpful. Again I am thinking airline seats and comfort for travel.

Thanks again for listening

Good Luck

Leo

Edited by Leo

I'm thinking about buying a case for my small (44-buton) bandonion. The dimensions are approximately 8" x 8" x 15" (20 cm x 20 cm x 38 cm). Any suggestions?

i would first contact one of the concertina case makers. greg jowaisas makes concertina cases for wally carroll and he also makes them to order for individuals. he can be reached through this forum and maybe he would make one for a bandonion. sean fallon makes concertina cases for frank edgley and i think also makes them for individuals. i've heard nothing but great things about both of these makers, and fortunately they have significantly shorter backlogs of orders than any of the concertina makers.

Theo

(Not often I can address someone witrh the same name as me!)

You might find a suitable soft bag at a camera shop. They do all sorts of shapes and sizes. Many are very well padded and often with useful extra compartments too.

Theo

i would first contact one of the concertina case makers. greg jowaisas makes concertina cases for wally carroll and he also makes them to order for individuals. he can be reached through this forum and maybe he would make one for a bandonion. sean fallon makes concertina cases for frank edgley and i think also makes them for individuals. i've heard nothing but great things about both of these makers, and fortunately they have significantly shorter backlogs of orders than any of the concertina makers.
If there's any backlog, I might not get it in time for my trip. Which (if any) of these makers is in the US?
You might find a suitable soft bag at a camera shop. They do all sorts of shapes and sizes. Many are very well padded and often with useful extra compartments too.
I did a search with one online camera dealer, and they have a few camcorder bags that would be the right size. They seem a bit costly, probably because they come with some camcorder-specific accessories. I'll keep trying along that line, though.

Theo

Hadn't thought in that direction nor considered other types. Again depending on size. Thanks for the pointer that way.

Leo

Edited by Leo

Thanks to everyone for their advice. After looking at some better-quality camera bags I realized that I could have a custom made case (from Greg Jowaisas) for not too much more money, and have decided to go that route. Greg will get it to me in just a few weeks, and the lining will even coordinate with the color of my bellows paper!

As a recent owner of a Sean Fallon case to protect a recently purchased Edgley concertina, I can attest to the quality of this case. It is rock solid, with an ingenius locking mechanism. My concertina is held very firmly within the case. I'm very satisfied with it. The link to sean fallon's website is below if anyone is interested. Sean is located in Plymouth, Michigan.

http://falloncases.com

"Sean" is the Irish equivalent of "John". Possibly he uses both names? :unsure:
That must be the case (pun intended)... This photo:

contact_sean_fallon.jpg

is captioned as "John Fallon" on the falloncases.com site and as "Sean Fallon" on the Detroit Irish Music Association site.

Maybe he should change his name depending on the case he's building, e.g. Sean for the Uilleann pipes, Yanni for bouzoukis, Ivan for balalaikas, Keon for Ukeleles, and so on... Jean, Juan, Jasiu, Giovanni, Ian, Jan, Jens, Jonco...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I shouldn't be speaking for Sean, but since he does not regularly go on concertina.net, I will give some explanation. I may be wrong, but when he first came to the US from Ireland, he got tired of people seeing his name and calling him "Seen," like that fellow who has done weather for MSNBC, Sean McLachlan. I think it was just easier to use John, than keep correcting people. After all, Sean McLachlan doesn't know how to pronounce his own name. With his connections to the Irish community and his friends, he is Sean. It seems like some people on this side of the Atlantic have problems with some Celtic names. Colin Powell, for example. His parents named him Colin (with a short "o"), but the US press usually refers to him as Colin (with a long "o"). He is not named after a part of the lower digestive tract!

As for the foam, there are many types of foam (the miracle of chemistry). Sean uses one that will outlast any of us. As for the amount of blocking, more is not necessarily better. If an instrument falls and it is inside an unblocked case, the damage will be from the instrument bouncing around inside the case. Blocking will prevent that happening. It's like a seatbelt in a car. You want to be held in place so you will not bounce around in the car, doing yourself damage. As for the restraints, the blocking has to be just soft enough that the blocking itself will not scratch or mar the finish, and to absorb some of the jolt, but not soft enough so the instrument can move. Otherwise, they would put soft padding on car safety belts --- they don't. Greg's case looks great, but I have never seen one, personally, so I can't and wouldn't comment. No doubt they would provide good protection. Sean's cases have been designed to provide restraint from moving about inside the case during impact, with just the right amount of padding to prevent damage from the blocking, itself. I once dropped one of Sean's cases with a concertina in it, onto the sidewalk in Goderich. No damage at all to the instrument, and with only minimal cosmetic scratch on the corner of the case itself. Probably both cases will provide ample protection. I'm glad there are people like Sean & Greg who are willing to make cases suitable for our instruments. In a way, it adds credibility to our instrument, the concertina. How many serious musicians carry their instruments wrapped in a towel, placed into whatever they can muster for a case?

Edited by Frank Edgley