Morse Concertina Advert

Just thought I'd put this up 'cos it's a nice picture. I'm playing a Morse G/D anglo and Anne is playing a Morse baritone English as part of the Mr Wilkins Shilling North West Morris band at the Chippenham Folk festival just gone. I think it captures the atmosphere quite nicely

morseadvert.jpg

Chris

Makes me want to take that vacation I've been promising myself back to where my roots lie. As a "yank" I am as English & Scot/Irish as you can get. I do hope to get "across the pond" for a few weeks soon. I'll have to make sure it coincides with festivals wherein I can hear this type of music.

Thanks Chris

Makes me want to take that vacation I've been promising myself back to where my roots lie. As a "yank" I am as English & Scot/Irish as you can get. I do hope to get "across the pond" for a few weeks soon. I'll have to make sure it coincides with festivals wherein I can hear this type of music.

Thanks Chris

Have a look at the Folk and Roots festival guide - should give you an idea about suitable dates and locations.

Chris,

You both look great! I finally got a baritone Morse when I was at the New England Folk Festival, so now I don't have to wonder which one I like better. I absolutely LOVE the baritone! I was thinking of holding out for a Wheatstone, but the Morses are so lovely and mellow.

Which clog group is that behind you?

What a wonderful picture! I've been joking recently with a friend about how well concertina players show their love of music while they're playing :rolleyes: - although it was also mainained that the players look like that because they're concentrating on not letting the drool escape!

Not a reflection on you or Anne, Chris- it's a great photo!

/You both obviously do it for the joy it brings you?? /

Years ago there was a discussion on accordion group about faces of accordion players.

It's an interesting phenomena. We aught to pay particular attention to our demeanor while playing. A lively face surely is not to forget about, I've been told time and time again.

Years ago there was a discussion on accordion group about faces of accordion players.

It's an interesting phenomena. We aught to pay particular attention to our demeanor while playing. A lively face surely is not to forget about, I've been told time and time again.

True! Although I try to discern the difference between letting what I'm really feeling reach my face, and making up some expression I think I should be having.

True! Although I try to discern the difference between letting what I'm really feeling reach my face, and making up some expression I think I should be having.

I hope John Wild doesn't mind my directing your attention to his photo on his member page, but I think it shows a look of blissful concentration. Honesty of expression. Mike.

We aught to pay particular attention to our demeanor while playing. A lively face surely is not to forget about, I've been told time and time again.

So yesterday I played at the Irish Connections Festival in Canton, Massachusetts, in the coldest, wettest conditions I've ever had the pleasure to perform in. :blink: And there was a loudly amplified Irish band in the tent to one side, the Irish step dancers in the tent on the other side. And in my tent, on the other side of the partition, someone was still setting up a display- yes, he hammered on and off throughout the performance! :angry:

But I kept a firm smile on my face, fingers slipping off the keys (I won't even begin to attempt to describe how my harper partner fared!).

Luckily, the tent directly across from mine was the Guinness tent! Which is where we took ourselves after our performance! :D

Luckily, the tent directly across from mine was the Guinness tent! Which is where we took ourselves after our performance! :D

You see Allison, there is a reward in the sweet by and by. ;)

Having had the honor of hosting a Seanma performance, I've heard and seen the concentration and honor with which you perform. I remeber well your reaction to the local frieght train crossing a quarter mile down the road. After your surprise, you started the number over and we were all well rewarded. This latest bit must have been torture and in the midst of rain on the Biblical scale as well :( .

How did that beautiful concertina fair with all the humidity?

Edited by Mark Evans

I remeber well your reaction to the local frieght train crossing a quarter mile down the road.

Well, there may be even greater "joys" ahead for you... though I hope not. I remember a friend calmly continuing a set of tunes on his flute as a couple of us audience members gently but forcefully put a stop to a fistfight not two meters in front of him. :o :)

I hope John Wild doesn't mind my directing your attention to his photo on his member page, but I think it shows a look of blissful concentration. Honesty of expression. Mike.

I don't mind at all. I don't recall any blissful state but I was concentrating. I cannot remember the year but it must have early 1990's. it was at the Court inn in Witney on the Friday evening prior to that year's Concertinas at Witney. The photo was taken by David Cornell.

regards

John

Edited to add: I checked up and the photo actually dates from 1999, so I have not aged that much after all!! :) :) Or have I ? :( :(

Edited by John Wild

OK then, by popular request, Anne and I playing Morse concertinas and looking (I hope) more cheerful.

Well, of course. The french horn is facing away from you on the second shot.