Hard Cases For Concertinas?

I am very pleased with my leather vanity case.The smell of perfume is either reducing or my nostrils have closed up to shield me from the smell.I am still keeping well clear of Dockyard pubs however.

These are still coming up for sale at auction but I have never seen one as nice as the one I purchased.

I do however see old doctors bags and if I had not found my case I would have loved one of those.

Al

I am very pleased with my leather vanity case.

I do however see old doctors bags and if I had not found my case I would have loved one of those.

Al

Vanity aside, Al, if you were really carrying your instrument around in one of those old doctors bags, you could get yourself into trouble by being mistaken for a medic in an emergency. "Quick, is there a doctor in the house?" "No, just an anglo concertina player!" Boom boom!!

Chris

If you are looking for a high quality case for your instrument, I recommend the work of frequent C'Net contributor, Greg Jowaisas.

About 2 years ago I convinced Greg that making cases would greatly improve the quality of my, er . . . his life. He has really taken to it and now makes all of the cases for my instruments. I think it takes him between 8-10 hours to put out a single case and all of the hardware is of a high quality. I have a short blurb about Greg's cases at the bottom of the following page:

http://www.carrollconcertinas.com/about/about.html

He does make custom sizes as well and also has a larger size case that includes a side compartment for tools, minidisc recorder or whatever.

-Wally

Vanity aside, Al, if you were really carrying your instrument around in one of those old doctors bags, you could get yourself into trouble by being mistaken for a medic in an emergency. "Quick, is there a doctor in the house?" "No, just an anglo concertina player!" Boom boom!!

The husband:

"Oh, no! The baby has decided to arrive now!

You with the doctor's bag, come give a hand!"

Alan:

"Well, OK.

Now, ma'am, start with a deep intake of air... and then squeeze!"

:)

I am wondering what experiences people have in finding a new hard case for a concertina. I'm in the UK and am looking for a hard case for a 64 button octagonal EC. I'd be grateful for any sources or recommendations.

Well, probably this is not :( a solution for a 64k oct EC, but: for a common 48k EC, like my Wheatstone model 22, I found a small but sturdy case at www.concertinaconnection.com for €50 (about GBP 35, USD 64). To fit the Wheatstone perfectly, my wife made four extra blocks in the corners (foam inside). She even made a small pouch in it (not on the photo's) for two screwdrivers (the Starrett 559A and 559B I bought from www.micro-tools.com after reading the Proper screwdriver thread on this forum).

post-757-1150019486_thumb.jpgpost-757-1150019473_thumb.jpgpost-757-1150019500_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lemon

Well, probably this is not :( a solution for a 64k oct EC, but: for a common 48k EC, like my Wheatstone model 22, I found a small but sturdy case at www.concertinaconnection.com for €50 (about GBP 35, USD 64). To fit the Wheatstone perfectly, my wife made four extra columns in the corners (foam inside). She even made a small pouch in it (not on the photo's) for two screwdrivers (the Starrett 559A and 559B I bought from www.micro-tools.com after reading the Proper screwdriver thread on this forum).

For a similar price, the Button Box sells a very nice hard case. For a little bit more (I think it comes to about $90), they will put custom blocks in the corners to fit the size of your concertina. Again, though, I don't know that it would be of much use for a larger concertina. They do, however, also sell cases designed for Stagis, which are a good deal larger and might fit a 64-button EC.

:)

Steven

Edited by Steven

This is becoming quite a long thread. This is starting to remind me of an uilleann pipe or lead rock guitar discussion on gear. Anyone listened to any good recordings recently? I have Gerdie Commane and Chris Droney on my fav playlists. Oh yeah..... John Fallon in Detroit makes excelent hard cases for single and double concertinas.

Louise Lundberg

Louise lives in Dalby in Sweden. Thats her in the centre.

Makes nice cases. You can just about see them at the bottom of the picture of us all at this years Scadinavian Sqeeze In in May 2006.

Trouble is the time it takes to make them and how many orders she has. Always worth a try though.

Chas

post-1882-1150313176_thumb.jpg

Edited by fidjit

• 1 month later...

Further to this topic, it might be useful to anyone wanting a made-to-measure case, that I have just received an excellent qualty case made by Barry Wallace (West Country Cases) to fit my Jeffries Duet.

Barry was extremely helpful and made the case to my requirements (colours etc,.) from measurements supplied by me, and which fitted my concertina perfectly first time.

Barry's details are listed on Chris Timpson's FAQ site ( http://www.concertina.info/tina.faq/conc-mak.htm ).

Trouble is the time it takes to make them and how many orders she has. Always worth a try though.

Actually I wouldn't try Louise just now. Apart from the time it takes her to make one and the number of us who have already asked, Louise is a new mother and probably isn't concentrating quite as much as she usually does on concertina matters - I suspect even green roofs aren't getting their usual consideration!

Chris