Hard Cases For Concertinas?

I am wondering what experiences people have in finding a new hard case for a concertina. I'm in the UK and am looking for a hard case for a 64 button octagonal EC. I'd be grateful for any sources or recommendations.

I am wondering what experiences people have in finding a new hard case for a concertina. I'm in the UK and am looking for a hard case for a 64 button octagonal EC. I'd be grateful for any sources or recommendations.
Well, here's my recommendation, from The Music Room, Cleckheaton (themusicroom-online.co.uk). Look at their gig bags and cases section and you will find two sizes of concertina case listed, large and small, both costing £39.99. This is the reference for the large one - Acoustica 23542 Concertina Case Large £39.99. I purchased the small size one for my Wheatstone English and I am very pleased with it. What is good about them, is that they have two lockable catches. Just measure the diameter of your concertina and ask them which of the two would be the best size.

Chris

Anthony Griffin from Kerry makes the strongest and cheapest cases I have come across.He has made me two double cases and a customised case for a 71 key Crane Duet.Send him details of what you require and generally the case will arrive within a fortnight.He can often be seen selling cases(of all sorts)from the back of his car at fleadhs and festival in Ireland.Email me for his contact details.

Anthony Griffin from Kerry makes the strongest and cheapest cases I have come across.He has made me two double cases and a customised case for a 71 key Crane Duet.Send him details of what you require and generally the case will arrive within a fortnight.He can often be seen selling cases(of all sorts)from the back of his car at fleadhs and festival in Ireland.Email me for his contact details.

That sounds good Mark...I have a Jeffries Duet that's too big for the standard cases. I've sent you a mail for Anthony's details.

Barry Wallace of Holcombe Rogus, near Tiverton in Devon UK, makes cases. he did me a reasonably light one for a Wheatstone Bass English this year, and he apparantly does them for Colin Dipper for new instruments. His phone number is (01823) 673021.

Barry Wallace of Holcombe Rogus.

I've used Barry's cases for a number of years. They are "made to measure" for specific instruments, so Barry will request the appropriate dimensions.

Edited by PeterT

Edited to add: Thanks to Dick and Peter, who have done as I suggested. I expect Nick will do the same as soon as he sees this post. When I see that, I'll delete my no-longer-relevant message.

here is his mobile number...

Dick, unless Anthony Griffin has told you personally that he wants his mobile phone number broadcast to the entire world (or at least that part of the world which uses the internet, including computer programs written specifically to "harvest" such personal information), I suggest you edit your post to remove the phone number. Anyone with a valid need for it can still get it by contacting Mark Davies (or yourself) through this Forum.

Barry Wallace ... His phone number is....
Barry Wallace of Holcombe Rogus...
I've used Barry's cases ...

I would make a similar suggestion to both Nick and Peter regarding Barry's number.

Edited by JimLucas

I would make a similar suggestion to both Nick and Peter regarding Barry's number.

Barry's details are available for all to see on Chris Timson's FAQ website under 'makers', so I would not worry too much.

Barry's details are available for all to see on Chris Timson's FAQ website under 'makers', so I would not worry too much.

A fair comment, though in my perception that's still not as likely to be "mined" for personal contact info as a forum like C.net.

And admittedly, email addresses are far more likely to be abused than are phone numbers.

Barry Wallace of Holcombe Rogus, near Tiverton in Devon UK, makes cases. he did me a reasonably light one for a Wheatstone Bass English this year, and he apparantly does them for Colin Dipper for new instruments. His phone number is (01823) 673021.
I know Barry makes a nice job of his cases. I've seen them at Colin Dipper's. But why pay £80 plus and a wait, unless you want one specially for a baritone or bass, when you can get a decent one off the shelf for half that from The Music Room that will fit most standard-sized concertinas? You can always block it with some foam rubber if the case is a little too big. And no, I don't have shares in The music Room! Alternatively, following a suggestion Colin gave me a while back, you could always have a go at making one yourself out of quarter inch ply.

If you consider making your own case, you should check out this Topic.

Or you could do what another Forum member did at Sidmouth; carried his concertina around in a bag with his dirty washing. He claimed that the washing provided adequate protection, and a bag of dirty washing was less likely to be stolen than a concertina case B) . Don't know what he did on day 1 of the festival, though :unsure: .

A solution I came up with was an old train case/make up case. Old luggage can be found in many second hand shops, and a little spray adhesive to hold either felt or velvour to the interior. Mine cost 5 dollars for the old case and 7 dollars for the fabric and glue. I can easily hold my Shakespeare 38 key, and an o;d small framed 20 key Bb/F in at the same time. If I only travel with one concertina, I have room for my mini disc,or a tool kit.

Actually that's an interesting one. The problem with my old Wheatstone case and, from the looks of things, most modern cases is that they are cubes. It's the sharp corners that make it difficult to jam into a full boot or cabin locker, they seem to make its 'real size' much bigger. A vanity case or similar in polycarbonate might lose the awkward corners.