Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend 2006

Lots of concertina interest at this years event-

Anglo English Style-Dave Prebble,Steve Harrison,Alan Day(Friday evening only but tbc)

Anglo Irish Style-Shay Fogarty(Dublin)Tom Driscoll(Clare)Geoff Wright

Makers-Geoff Crabb,Jurgen Suttner(tbc)

English-Tina Smith,Geoff Wright

Performers from Northumberland include Andrew & Margaret Watchorn(Fiddle & Northumbrian Small Pipes)and Pipers Share who will play for the Saturday evening dance,which features the Handworth Sword Dancers.

Plus the finest selection of traditional singers (from Britain & Ireland) you are likely to see for many a year

Sessions in local pubs and in the barn and marquee at Edgemount Farm,High Bradfield,Sheffield,South Yorkshire-real ale supplied by the Bradfield Brewery.Cost person to include camping,caravans or camper vans £10 per head.Contact me for further details and a booking form.

Mark Davies

Home:0114 2851479

Mobile:07850475067

Email:edeophone@aol.com

• 1 month later...

Tom Driscoll the Clare concertina player has confirmed that he will be attending.Tom plays a unique repertoire of tunes largely learnt from the Killourie(this may be an incorrect spelling) brothers.It is thought the tunes were derived from the British Army brass band that existed in Kilfenora.Shay Fogarty the well known Dublin player will also be with us.Would anybody be interested in them giving a talk on Irish style anglo playing?All the Irish musicians and singers attending the weekend are staying over till Monday so will round off the weekend with a Sunday session at The Royal Hotel,Dungworth.Tickets are still available for the weekend so email me for a booking form.

Concertina Related Talks

I will arrange concertina talks/workshops on both the Saturday and Sunday morning of the weekend.I hope that Geoff Crabb,Alan Day,Shay Fogarty & Tom Driscoll and many other players attending will all contribute.Please contact me for details.

• 3 weeks later...

Geoff Crabb at Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend

Not to be missed.Geoff Crabb will be passing on his knowledge of over 150 years of Crabb family concertina making.He has suggested giving a reed making demonstration on Saturday morning and, given sufficient time, a spring making and fret cutting demonstration.If you have any interest in concertinas you should not miss the chance to listen and watch Geoff at work.Weekend tickets are still available.Email me for a booking form.

Mark Davies

post-214-1154966365_thumb.jpg

Geoff Crabb at Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend

Not to be missed.Geoff Crabb will be passing on his knowledge of over 150 years of Crabb family concertina making.He has suggested giving a reed making demonstration on Saturday morning and, given sufficient time, a spring making and fret cutting demonstration.If you have any interest in concertinas you should not miss the chance to listen and watch Geoff at work.Weekend tickets are still available.Email me for a booking form.

Mark Davies

What time will this start? I'm not planning to come over until Saturday.

Hi Howard,

Obviously my demonstrations will have to fit in with the programme, the organisers and those interested. I am flexible but of course it must be realised that to make the demonstration worthwhile, sufficient time must be allowed.

What time do you think you will be able to arrive on Saturday?

Geoff

Hi Howard,

Obviously my demonstrations will have to fit in with the programme, the organisers and those interested. I am flexible but of course it must be realised that to make the demonstration worthwhile, sufficient time must be allowed.

What time do you think you will be able to arrive on Saturday?

Geoff

Mark has just sent me an updated programme giving a 10:30am start for the demonstration.

I had planned a leisurely morning followed by a drive over in time for the lunchtime session in the Royal, looks like I'll be getting up a bit earlier than planned!

See you there

Hello to everyone.

Having now somewhat recovered from the over-indulgences of music food and...yes....beer,at the Bradfield Traditional Music Weekend, I feel ready to pen a few lines.

First and foremost a huge vote of thanks to Mark and Joan for their superb hospitality in hosting the event and for all the hard work entailed in the organisation of the weekend. This was the third such weekend, an idea Mark conceived after the immensely successful English Country Music Weekend held at his farm.

Year-on-year It just gets better and better !

Even the horizontal gale driven rain could not quell the spirits once folks employed the trick of keeping the inside of the body as well lubricated as the outside.

It is all too easy to forget that the guests at this event do not receive any fee or travel expenses, only a contribution towards their accommodation. Their time, gifts and skills are given freely and in most generous measure and all of us who attended are most grateful for that. It can only be that our guests consider this weekend almost as a holiday from their usual hectic schedules, during which time, they can relax and enjoy their passion for music and song in the company of like-minded friends.

I won't try to list you all Guys - I am simply not prepared to risk forgetting someone !

We know who you are - you know who you are - so please accept our heartfelt thanks to you all !!

The atmosphere generated in the pub music sessions cannot possibly be conveyed in mere words - you really do have to be there to comprehend it.

We were treated to a huge variety of tunes from many countries and ranging from mournful slow airs to manic reels and hornpipes (and a few that were way beyond any musical classification) and all performed in as many different styles of concertina playing as there were players.

As ever, there was a mouth-watering array of concertinas of many makes, with special interest this year being shown in the superb concertina made, and so nicely played by, Henrik Müller.

Concertina swapping was rife in the sessions - It was a bit like 'pass the parcel' at times....every time the music stopped.... :D

In true laid back Irish style, Shay Fogarty beat all the air travel problems by leaving his box at home in Dublin. "Sure, won't there be enough concertinas there already for me to play.... ?"

Geoff Crabb's Informative, enlightening and entertaining talks on reed and spring making, tuning and fret cutting were much appreciated by all. Many 'concertina mysteries' were dispelled by his practical demonstrations and his unique delivery.... a combination of words and semaphore. On behalf of us all - Cheers Geoff !

He spent the rest of his weekend nervously running about trying to hide his "Jubilee Concertina" to keep it safe from my avaricious grasp :o)

A special vote of thanks to Piper's Share who were not only mainstays in the tune sessions, but also played (to great acclaim I might add) the Saturday Night Ceilidh. Lovely music from the friendliest folks you could ever wish to meet.

Last but not least, to everyone who came to the weekend my personal thanks to you all. It is meeting and playing with all of you folks that always makes this weekend so special for me.

Till next year then ........

Regards to all

Dave Prebble

Edit - tried to make it more readable ....but probably failed

Edited by Dave Prebble

I also add my thanks to Mark for a great couple of days .Great session on Friday night.

Nice to see so many old friends and meet new ones including Henrik from this site and all those over from Ireland.

I was well looked after by Dave Prebbs, a pie was saved for me,I was guarded by two dogs during the session.

A very interesting talk by Geoff and nice to have a chat with him over breakfast in Mark's kitchen.

I had to have a kip (little sleep) on the way home ,always a sign of a hard, but enjoyable weekend.

Al

I was well looked after by Dave Prebbs, a pie was saved for me,I was guarded by two dogs during the session.

I simply could not manage to fit in that last pie Al - you was lucky me 'ole young un'

I was most relieved to find that one of the dogs, a monumentally built Staffordshire Bull Terrier had either forgotten or forgiven the fact that I accidentaly stood (with my not inconsiderable bulk) on his tail at a session there a week or two back - Phew!

The dogs were probably looking to you for protection :D

Dave

I simply could not manage to fit in that last pie Al - you was lucky me 'ole young un'

I was most relieved to find that one of the dogs, a monumentally built Staffordshire Bull Terrier had either forgotten or forgiven the fact that I accidentaly stood (with my not inconsiderable bulk) on his tail at a session there a week or two back - Phew!

The dogs were probably looking to you for protection :D

Dave

No Dave,

The meat out of my pie !!

Al

I've got to second everything Dave Prebble has penned so eloquently. Once again Mark turned up trumps with a cracking weekend of superb music and fellowship which would be very difficult to better.

The only fly in the ointment is the proximity of the weekend to Sidmouth which I am sure has stopped a lot of people from attending. If only we could come up with an alternative weekend perhaps early on in the year such as May?

I must give my thanks to Mark for a great time (particularly since my trailer caravan is still parked in his field :rolleyes: )

Pete