John Stone's Chronicles

Another illuminating, excellent evening at John Stone's Inn: Earlier in the day while cleaning our fishpond I slipped and in an attempt to keep from going into the deep end, turned my knee in a way the creator did not have in mind. As evening approached I debated the wisdom of driving with a throbbing leg all for the sake of a few tunes. The tunes won out and with a weary, concerned smile from my Dominique I was off with walking staff in hand.

An astonishing experience awaited me. As I walked in to a warm greeting (most of my favorite musicians were there including harpists Mairead and Maeve), the suprise that made my evening was a family from Cork with three little girls with straw colored hair and their very proud mother. No sooner had I hobbled over to my chair than our flautist Jim said to the girls "so it's a jig you want?" Off he goes and the rest of us join in. Those delightful little girls started dancing. I was taken completely by suprise. They were good, very good indeed and off they bounded like sprites. My heart nearly exploded. When they'd finnished the place goes wild and I can bearly breathe so determined I was not to weep.

They gave me no respite, for after a set of reels Jim has two of them come up and do a set of hornpipes on penny whistles with us. Their mother sang a few songs later (haunting version of "She Moved throught the Fair") and it was magic. Much music and communion in abundance. I eventually forced myself out of that chair and now very stiff got out to the car having again found myself healed in spirit if not body.

This morning Dominique and I had one of our discussions on music and the meaning of life etc. She believes music to be the last religion. I replied that Music was also the first and abiding religion. Deities and theologies have come and gone but music, the ancient communion has remained forever immutable in its holiness.

She believes music to be the last religion. I replied that Music was also the first and abiding religion. Deities and theologies have come and gone but music, the ancient communion has remained forever immutable in its holiness.

Amen, brother Mark! Testify!

What a glorious evening. Thank you so much for telling it as only you can.