Portable Mp3 Players

The iRiver is an iHP-140...The mike is a Sony ECM-MS907

Supa dupa :) I already have exactly that mike as it happens, and yes it's pretty good for home and session recording. Thanks.

I've been using the iRiver IFP790 for the past 2 years or so and love it for session recording. Internal mic and record setting is not very good quality (always overloads/clips, especially if sitting too close to accordian or banjo) but used with a small external mic and preamp fed into the line input the record quality is truly excellent. There is also an internal software switch to allows the use of external mic (without a preamp) that works very well. 256 Megs allows recording time at best quality (44 Khz sampling) of about 3 1/2 hrs.

I also use it a lot for file transferring from my office computer to home computer. Its then basically a 256M flash drive. That's one of the nice things about it, you can upload or download any type of file from any source via USB.

Another topic on recording got me to thinking that maybe its time for me to join the 21st century and get a portable MP3 player. I'm not very technically savvy and want something simple to use, with good battery life, good sound and able to handle 20GB+ of music. I record sessions I play at on my little Sony IC recorder, then transfer it to my laptop and convert it to MP3. Sure would be nice to listen to this in the car too.

Any advice from the c.net techo-crowd?

Toshiba has just come out with a player called the Gigabeat S. It's getting great reviews:

Gigabeat S review

Jeff Myers

concertina Goddess Claire Keville (yep, I'm brainwashed) was playing at her sunday night session.

Oi, oi, oi - now you can add my brain to the newly washed!

But I've never heard her name - any more info, any CDs?

/Henrik

Edited to add: Sorry, off-thread

Edited by Henrik Müller

concertina Goddess Claire Keville (yep, I'm brainwashed) was playing at her sunday night session.

Oi, oi, oi - now you can add my brain to the newly washed!

But I've never heard her name - any more info, any CDs?

/Henrik

Edited to add: Sorry, off-thread

Answering my own question: Found her - CD's on its way! Back on thread...

/Henrik