Band Names

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, once I was sitting contemplatively in a bathroom somewhere and noticed an emptied cardboard toilet-paper tube, and came up with the band name 'The Unravelled Rollers.' (Uh, no...nothing at all to do with Maurice Ravel!)

None of the named groups that I've been in have ever been called anything very amazing or funny. Aw, well.

oops...edited to fix the typo.

Edited by bellowbelle

Yes they were called ed caines, rob neal ,derek simpson

Ed plays with the Posh Band and Rob for Katie's Quartet (on cello - Katie won't let him play his concertina :( ). I bumped into Derek a year or so back, but he wasn't doing anything musical. Good to know two of them at least are still in top class English dance bands.

Ticklers Jam, Ticklers Jam

I love Ticklers Jam

Orange, lemon and apricot

All wrapped together in a one pound pot

When I'm lying home at bed, imagine if you can

Me pushing the old girl out of bed for a jar of Ticklers Jam

The words were something like that anyway.

Chris

My all time favourite rock bands were 'Half man, half biscuit' (amazing - 'Trumpton Riots' & 'All I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague away kit' the best Subbuteo song ever)

Never thought I'd see HMHB alluded to in these hallowed portals. :)

In fact Andy Kershaw had them in for a session around the time of their last-but-one LP and he introduced them as something like "possibly the most authentic British folk group since The Clash" which made me smile a lot :)

Oh no, here come the bodhran jokes! :o

Ian Goodier was telling me, years ago, that he walked into a pub at one festival, only to find twelve bodhran players waiting for a melody instrument. He turned round, and walked out :lol: .

The thing is you don't have to be a Bodhran player. It's not one of those afflictions you're born with. You could just walk away and take up an instrument if you want to join in.

They deserve all the stick going.

The thing is you don't have to be a Bodhran player. It's not one of those afflictions you're born with. You could just walk away and take up an instrument if you want to join in.

They deserve all the stick going.

Oh I don't know, I feel a need to be kind to Bodhran players. My wife is learning at the moment because she enjoys hitting things, & if it ain't the Bodhran it might be me :ph34r:

- W

I feel a need to be kind to Bodhran players. My wife is learning at the moment because she enjoys hitting things, & if it ain't the Bodhran it might be me :ph34r:

If you're in the habit of making cracks like that, I'm surprised she bothers with the bodhran, at all. :D

Oh I don't know, I feel a need to be kind to Bodhran players. My wife is learning at the moment because she enjoys hitting things, & if it ain't the Bodhran it might be me

Small, tentative suggestion (tentative because Malmsbury isn't far away and Mrs Woody is clearly not a person to get on the wrong side of). Get her to learn to play the snare drum. Much nicer with English music.

Chris

Oh no, here come the bodhran jokes! :o

Ian Goodier was telling me, years ago, that he walked into a pub at one festival, only to find twelve bodhran players waiting for a melody instrument. He turned round, and walked out :lol: .

that is one of the funniest (and most sensible) things I have seen written on these pages :lol:

don't know how true this is but I recall someone saying that Seamus Ennis said that the best way to play bodhran was with a stanley knife. may be one of these apochryphal? tales tho