Northumbrian Minstrelsy

lildogturpy

After being recommended the Northumbrian Minstrelsy collection of tunes I found several references to a collection of the tunes in abc format on the web by Henry Ford. Most of these links pointed to the same web address at the University of Bath, which no longer exists (the link not the University). I did find one link to the same tune collection at the Manchester Morris website, which no longer exists either (again, the link not the Morris Side). After searching for a while I thought that if anyone could find it JC's tunefinder could. I did a search for a tune I knew was in the collection and when the link from there worked I worked my way back up the url until I downloaded the entire text file which appears to be the Northumbrian Minstrelsy collection. Since I don't have the book to check the validity of the contents of this file I wonder if someone who has the book can check that the file looks right. I'd be happy to give the collection a home but don't want to put it out there until I have some idea of what it is.

You can reach the collection that needs checking here

Northumbrian Minstrelsy?

From there you can get the individual tunes (in alphabetical order), the entire abc file or the pdf. I'd be grateful for feedback.

You can reach the collection that needs checking here

Northumbrian Minstrelsy?

From there you can get the individual tunes (in alphabetical order), the entire abc file or the pdf. I'd be grateful for feedback.

Robin

I have the 1998 facsimile of the 1882 edition. I checked the first dozen or so tunes on the site you linked, the titles are all in the Mistrelsy, but the book contains a few more not listed on the website.

I've not checked the notation against the book.

Another good source of Northumbrian material is The FARNE database of music follow the link then go to search to find the materials.

And if your travels from Glasgow take you to the northeast of England please get in touch there is music all over the place here.

And if your travels from Glasgow take you to the northeast of England please get in touch there is music all over the place here.

I'm stopping over in Blythe next weekend to visit my brother and his family and I'd love to visit maybe later in the year to play and learn a few tunes.

Just checked the FARNE link, which is up, but the minstrelsy link's unavailable! :(

Yes, seems the server in Montreal Crashed. They're 5 hours behind the UK so I would imagine Gord will be up to turn the server back on sometime in the next hour or so <_<

Just checked the FARNE link, which is up, but the minstrelsy link's unavailable! :(

Yes, seems the server in Montreal Crashed. They're 5 hours behind the UK so I would imagine Gord will be up to turn the server back on sometime in the next hour or so <_<

Gord must be awake, the Minstrelsy link is back up :)

I found a list of tune titles in the book, from the web, and it seems most of the tunes are there but there are some tunes present which aren't in the book and vice versa. Also, looking at the pdf of the tunes it seems there are problems with the abc file. I've just ordered the Northumbrian Minstrelsy book myself so once it arrives I'll go through and make corrections. Seems like a valuable resource to have somewhere on the net so I'll leave the Minstrelsy link up permenantly

• 4 weeks later...

My paper copy of the Minstrelsy has arrived and I have begun the process of editing the abc file I have. I must say the formatting is c$#p. I am straightening it out as I go through and I've tried to stick as closely as I can to the layout in the book. I'll let you know when I'm done.

I'm stopping over in Blythe next weekend to visit my brother and his family and I'd love to visit maybe later in the year to play and learn a few tunes.

Blythe being the home of the famous Clough northumbrian piping clan. I had a work colleague called Tom Clough, who came from Blythe. We'd both worked in the same school for several years befor the topic of music came up. Turns out he is the great grandson of the last great Clough piper. Sadly he plays no music at all.

You will be very welcome to visit. Just email me when you are making plans.

Hi Robin...........if you're interested in Northumbrian tunes there is a great book available called Pete Loud's collection or Northumbrian,Tyneside & other Fiddle Tunes.............loads of good piping tunes including most by James Hill......I've got a bunch of others too I can let you know the details of if you contact me .

Cheers Robin

You will be very welcome to visit. Just email me when you are making plans.

Hi Theo

Can I see you both going to another one of those excellent Friday night sessions at The White Swan in Greenside? Wish I could get there a bit more often. Went with my mate Clive last time (several weeks ago) and was sad not to see you there.

Pete

The Northumbrian Minstrelsy abc file has now been thoroughly cleaned. The abc is readable and all the required fields are there <_< I have taken out several tunes that were in the Ballads and Melodies section. The remaining tunes are the contents of the Small-Pipe tunes section.

A Webpage with tunes in alphabetical order is available where you can see the abc and pdf for each tune separately. The entire abc file can be downloaded here and the entire pdf version of the abc file can be seen here.

Edited by lildogturpy