Electronic Visual Aids

I am wondering if I am re-inventing the wheel or starting something new.

When I started to think seriously about learnig the McCann duet I decided that it would be useful to work out a computer program to display the keyboard layout of my instrument so that I could find the notes.

I created a display using Microsoft Access (it was to hand at the time!) that shows the two ends at the top with a command button for each note below together with a "Clear" command button. I also created a set of options, Notes, Major chords, Minor chords, Major seventh chords, Minor seventh chord, and finally Major Scales.

At the bottom of the screen is a depiction of a piano keyboard.

When a note command button is clicked the appropriate concertina buttons on the display appear depressed in a colour code for each octave that is echoed by the appropriate piano keyboard display below.

The "Clear" command puts all the concertina buttons back to up and the piano keyboard back to black/white.

For the scale option the concertina buttons appear depressed in order, with a wait of about a second, playing up the scale.

I want to extend this to othe scales but it has proved useful so far just to be able to find the notes!

Once I have all the functionality worked out I shall be applying it to an Anglo layout, and could also adapt it to an English.

So have I been wasting my time (appart from extanding my knowledge of Access) or could this be useful to others once it is finished?

Also what other scales apart from normal Major and Minor are useful, or should I start thinking in modes right away, or even the old # and b tunings.

So far the program is small enough to fit on a floppy disc and that is my only means of transfer as I don't have sufficient internet access at present to send it to anyone via e-mail (PC is down at home and too little time to repair it as the house has to be inhaitable before Christmas).

For the initiated the display uses images that are linked to a set of bit maps of concertina buttons and piano keys in different colours.

It does mean you have to practice where you can see the computer!

Robin

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by Robin Madge

If you did that for the English, I would want it. I know nothing of Access, so you need make no excuse for using it, I couldn't do it!

I would like to know more about available software for learning music. I saw a wonderful guitar site, with a tuning function. It would play an "E" for you, and led you through tuning all the strings.

I have already gone to the tunes section of this site, and downloaded Ashokan Farewell. Well beyond me, but I stretch for it.

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"