Duet Availability

What is the choice of off-the-shelf duets at the moment? Anyone looked into this lately? I'm not interested in things you have to wait for. Am I right in thinking that it's all Hayden and limited keyboard size?

New off-the-shelf:

Stagi 46-key Hayden

Used off-the-shelf (ie from dealers):

Maccanns and Cranes up to 48 keys available much of the time, specific larger instruments much harder to source.

To Order:

- Only maker who will quote a lead time for new orders is Tedrow for his 52-key Hayden.

- Marcus is making Haydens at the rate of one per year, and since he has a wait list of several years he is understood not to be accepting further orders. At least one of these instruments now exists, but I am not aware of anyone who has seen/heard one, and I have no description of it.

- No other supplier I am aware of will quote a lead time.

Future Projects:

- Hints of a Wakker Hayden in the near future.

- No recent news of any progress on the Morse Hayden project.

- The Haydenovskaya is definitely an abandoned project.

What is the choice of off-the-shelf duets at the moment? Anyone looked into this lately? I'm not interested in things you have to wait for. Am I right in thinking that it's all Hayden and limited keyboard size?

Have you thought of contacting Chris Algar of Barleycorn concertinas (see buyers' guide page, linked from c.net home page). He may have a choice of systems available.

Samantha

You're all getting carried away. It's not for me; I play Maccan and have already decided that I can spend my entire concertina life playing vintage instruments and I'm not about to change systems.

What I was interested in was what someone can buy new; in particular because I had an impression that you could buy small Haydens and not much else. What I wanted to find out was whether there are any larger Haydens coming into the market in any quantity.

What will the Stagi players move on to from their 46s? I suppose 9 months for a Connors would be OK wouldn't it?

What will the Stagi players move on to from their 46s? I suppose 9 months for a Connors would be OK wouldn't it?
yes, because they are very well constructed boxes, english construction, proper concertina reeds,i think he only makes metal ends,they are pretty much like crabbs.He used to work for crabb.

How would one get in touch with Mr. Connors? (If he doesn't want his information on the internet, an email or PM would be much appreciated, thanks).

How about Robin Scard, mentioned in this interview with Brian Hayden five years ago here on concertina.net?

What I was interested in was what someone can buy new; in particular because I had an impression that you could buy small Haydens and not much else. What I wanted to find out was whether there are any larger Haydens coming into the market in any quantity.

The only larger Haydens coming onto the market recently that anyone here is aware of are the Marcus and the Tedrow. They are accordion reeded and in very small quantity. They will be quickly outnumbered if Wakker goes ahead with a batch of Haydens.

You can find some reviews of Connor (correct spelling) anglo concertinas on this website and elsewhere on the net. Connor will attract some interest if he emerges as a new source of duets.