Jeffries Duet

Richard G

We would benefit from a close up shot of the maker's stamp, or at least the text of the inscription as that will help date it and learn if this was more likely to have been made by Charlie Jeffries himself or not.

Hi Nick,

Richard's original post shortly after acquiring the instrument mentions the maker's inscription - http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3575

"Thanks to everyone who replied - attached is a photo of what I have its marked 'C Jeffries 12 Aldershot Road, Kilburn NW6 and is also engraved with my great grandfathers name under one of the handles."

Not sure if that's of any help. :unsure:

Paul

This one has just been listed on ebay by Chris Algar. He includes some interesting comments about tuning. It should provide some information about the market for Jeffries Duets.
It went for 1500 pounds, which in view of the price such boxes were going for about a year ago surprises me a little.

Chris

It went for 1500 pounds, which in view of the price such boxes were going for about a year ago surprises me a little.
Yes, particulary, as I have just returned from a short visit to the Chippenham FF where Marcus Music had a nice Jeffries Duet for exactly the same price.....and his didn't need re-tuning!

Yes, particulary, as I have just returned from a short visit to the Chippenham FF where Marcus Music had a nice Jeffries Duet for exactly the same price.....and his didn't need re-tuning!

Just saw it on Marcus' stand. Very pretty and in C too. You don't need it, Chris. You really don't need it. You've got enough problems learning to play anglo properly!

Yes, but it's so pretty, and it calls to me.

COAD is a terrible disease ...

Chris

Just saw it on Marcus' stand. Very pretty and in C too. You don't need it, Chris. You really don't need it. You've got enough problems learning to play anglo properly!

Yes, but it's so pretty, and it calls to me.

Chris

It's still there Chris.....it's waiting for you! :D

I agree, it does look very nice, though when I had a go (as you do!), the buttons required a firm pressure...but maybe mine's just well played-in.