Roger Edwards As Heard On Anglo International

Having recently purchased the CD Anglo International, can anyone tell me if Roger Edwards has other recordings available? I really like his style.

And, in pursuing this style of playing, am I on the right track by ordering anything by William Kimber and also the book "The Anglo Concertina Music of William Kimber" by Dan Worrall?

In my search, I have also discovered Jody Kruskal, and have his CDs and book "Feet in the Clouds". These two players are "striking a chord" with me. Thanks.

Having recently purchased the CD Anglo International, can anyone tell me if Roger Edwards has other recordings available? I really like his style.

And, in pursuing this style of playing, am I on the right track by ordering anything by William Kimber and also the book "The Anglo Concertina Music of William Kimber" by Dan Worrall?

In my search, I have also discovered Jody Kruskal, and have his CDs and book "Feet in the Clouds". These two players are "striking a chord" with me. Thanks.

Rob,

I won't plug my own book...but if you like Kimber's style it is one place to look. For the general style of "English" style playing, I can think of several other printed resources also worth checking out:

1) Roger Digby's article called 'Faking It', about chording on the anglo. It is excellent, and covers the use of all three rows (Kimber played on the lower two rows for the most part).Download it for free from the concertina library at www.concertina.com .

2) Alan Day's very fine anglo concertina tutor, a collection of fully annotated tunes and a CD. Contact Alan for the CD...or is it loaded elsewhere by now? You may have to search a bit but it is well worth the effort for learning chorded style (BTW it concentrates mostly on the two rows).

3) Three 1970's articles by John Kirkpatrick on anglo playing; the last is the most useful (download for free from his website).

4) Some elements of this type of chorded playing are also covered in Bertram Levy's "The Anglo Concertina Demystified"; I think the Button Box has it, or if not try Elderly Instruments or Lark in the Morning.

Yes, Jody's playing is amazing!! You'll find only the melodies in his book. He does frequently give workshops, however...well worth watching out for.

Have fun!

Dan

If you look for recordings by Jane and Amanda Threlfall, or sometimes with the billing of The Trio Threlfall, you will find Roger Edwards playing as accompanist, but that word understates his contribution.

- John Wild

"Gown Of Green" is one of my favourites by the Threlfull Sisters it was recorded with Martin Ellison (Melodion)

who has now left the group.I prefer the current line up with Roger providing accompaniment.

Roger is X Squire of the famous Garstang Morris Men dong North West Morris.Garstang were regular visitors to Sidmouth Folk Festival and is where I first met Roger.Many have said his style is of the North West Tradition and I wonder if those players in that area agree that. Dave Prebble has a similar style of bouncy playing to Roger.The style may just be associated with Roger's playing and identified as part of that area tradition.

I will write to Roger and see if he will join in this discussion.

Al

l found rogers accompaniment although very very accomplished a distraction from the singing.now thats only my opinion and all these things are subjective.i repeat ROGER EDWARDS IS A VERY VERY GOOD PLAYER.

Hi Dick,

I agree on both points. Roger's accompaniment is very interesting to listen to, but I find myself doing exactly that, rather than listening to the singing. Still, great playing all the same!

Regards,

Peter.

On the odd occasions when I've played in session with Roger I've found that I'm definately playing an accompaniment to his lead. There is room to add more around what he plays even though you would at first think that he is producing a very full sound.

Robin Madge

I think that Roger takes the song to new heights with his playing, but I accept your point of veiw it is what listening to music is all about and why there is such variety in what each of us listen to.To strike a happy balance through the middle is the aim,but not so easy to achieve.

Al

i must say how much i have enjoyed this c d anglo international.absolutely brilliant..

Even the tracks which initially I liked less, are growing on me. At least I can appreciate the ability behind the music.

Regards,

Peter.

i must say how much i have enjoyed this c d anglo international.absolutely brilliant..

Even the tracks which initially I liked less, are growing on me. At least I can appreciate the ability behind the music.

Regards,

Peter.

It is strange how music grows on you.I usually go for first time listens and if it grabs me then it remains a favourite

It is however other countries music that seems to get better after the first listen.It must be the rythyms or the style of play that you gradually get used to.In the early days of listening to French and Breton music this was very much the case.I started off by liking very few tracks and slowly with listening I liked more tracks until I thought the whole record was fantastic.This was the case with T Jaz (Breton Music) .

I am of course very excited that this is the case for many of you on Anglo International.It does at least provide the listener with a variety of music that can be played on the Anglo and hopefully it will go someway to possibly remove some of the blinkered attitude to music that some of the players have expressed on this site in the past.It is fun to experiment with the concertina and it is what a musical instrument is for.

English International slowly progresses by the day let us hope it gets similar acclaim.

Al