Would You Like A Chording Concertina Tutor?

Joachim,

As I recall from some of your earlier posts, I believe you might be a little sight challenged... I would be happy to put together a big-print version for you. I don't think I could justify actually publishing a version like that, but I could print it out on my printer and send it to you in a binder (resizing the text but likely not the graphics). I don't think it would take me very long to make that adjustment. Please let me know if that would be helpful and if so, what type size is comfortable.

Still a lot of brain work and PC work to complete the book, so it wouldn't be for a while.

Onward,

Craig

Sounds pretty interesting to me, especially if the recorded portion gives real life examples with variations to help newer players, like me, have a notion of how to use different types of chord progressions in session situations (try saying THAT 3 times fast).

Keep us posted.

Jim

I've been playing with folks who lean much more to songs than tunes. I am learning backup chords and rhythms on the 'tina on my own to go along with popular folk songs. I am playing nylon strung guitar mostly but would like to learn to fit in some concertina backup. I am not really interested in playing chords and melody at the same time so I would be interested in chords that use both hands and not need the pinky. In other words easy chords. :D These have been pretty easy to figure out when I need them, but the rhythms are kind of hard to figure out. Trying to play guitar type rhythm doesn't seem to be the answer. So far I've had the best results by letting the guitars do the bass notes and the concertina chording on the "strum" part but I feel there must be something better that the concertina could do.

OK, I've got a question for you... I'm doing button diagram stuff... The piano player in me has always labeled fingers 1=thumb.... 5 = pinky... on both the right and left hand... My mind is sort of hard wired that way... though I've seen people use other conventions...

I want to use a convention in the tutor that people find most intutitive.... What is most intuitive to you?

Thanks,

Craig

The piano player in me has always labeled fingers 1=thumb.... 5 = pinky... on both the right and left hand... My mind is sort of hard wired that way...  though I've seen people use other conventions...

I've seen T-1-2-3-4 as another notation used for piano.

I'm pretty sure that most stringed instruments use 1-2-3-4 for the fingers on the frets, not 2-3-4-5. Same for wind instruments, with T for thumb (if they don't spell it out).

I want to use a convention in the tutor that people find most intutitive.... What is most intuitive to you?

T-1-2-3-4 is most intuitive to me.

On an English concertina, one never uses the thumb for a button. On an anglo, only one button on the left-hand end, and only on some instruments. On a duet, at most one in each hand, but few instruments have any thumb button except for air. For all practical purposes, the thumb doesn't exist, so reserving number 1 for it would be quite confusing.

So I would strongly recommend numbering the non-thumb fingers 1-2-3-4 (for index-middle-ring-little), and *if* you do anything with a thumb button, use T.

And where have you seen that? I've had 13 years of piano lessons, and have used music from many different publishers, and I've yet to see anything other than 1-2-3-4-5.

What is most intuitive to you?

1-2-3-4-5, naturally.

And where have you seen that? I've had 13 years of piano lessons, and have used music from many different publishers, and I've yet to see anything other than 1-2-3-4-5.

Not sure. Picture in my head of a labelled diagram of the hand, pages of notes with T's, as well as numbers. But it's been more than 40 years, so I suppose my memory could be at fault.

Hi,

I've played many instruments over the years (piano, harp, trumpet, guitar, flute cello, and now concertina :)

In my exprience instruments that use the thumb (harp, piano) name the fingers one to five, starting with the thumb as one. Instruments that don't use the thumb (cello, trumpet etc) tend to name the fingers one to four, with the pointer finger as one. So either would work for me.

What level of musicial knowledge (if any) are you assuming on the part of the reader?

Cheers

Morgana :)

Morgana,

Your feedback is consistent with what I've heard elsewere, so I'll number them 1= index... 4=pinky...

I'm not assuming any music theory knowledge, but am assuming that the tutor will be geared for intermediate and advanced players. I think you need to be grounded in melody playing and have a good sense of where the buttons are before tackling chording - especially in the effort of adding chording to melody playing.

Onward,

Craig

Edited by Craig Wagner