Jones Or What?

The fretwork, colour and the bellows papers look identical to a 26 button Jeffries I used to own. I think that is the most likely identification. That was (despite its crude appearance) a sweet little box, nice to play with a lovely tone. I think this box may well be worth someone's while buying and restoring. For comparison, here's a photo of my old Jeffries:-

jeffries26.jpg

Chris

The seller's had some dodgy approaches from the look of the 'questions'! If he was trying it on wouldn't he have taken the cash offer among them? After all it's already outside Ebay so he doesn't have to persuade the buyer to duck the system, because he's already offering to.

Hello.

I am the person selling this concertina on Ebay.

Hope you don't mind me talking to you. Firstly, the reason I keep user ID's private is to protect my buyers who are usually collectors from being spammed by other Ebay users selling similar items and from being 'trailed' around Ebay by people who collect similar items - you only need look at my feedback and completed items to see my pedigree is pretty decent.

Someone has asked for pictures of the inside (and told me how to take it apart!) and I have taken pictures, so if anybody would like to see them please email me through Ebay.

Once again, hope you don't mind me sticking my oar in.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hello.

Hope you don't mind me talking to you. Firstly, the reason I keep user ID's private is to protect my buyers who are usually collectors from being spammed by other Ebay users selling similar items and from being 'trailed' around Ebay by people who collect similar items - you only need look at my feedback and completed items to see my pedigree is pretty decent.

Someone has asked for pictures of the inside (and told me how to take it apart!) and I have taken pictures, so if anybody would like to see them please email me through Ebay.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the contact. It's great that you took the time. Unfortunately, some of these scammers know how to steal identities so feedback isn't always a safe guide. I'd be interested in the pictures.

Thanks

Paul

Edited by Paul Read

I'd also be curious about any notes that you might find written inside the concertina. And if you're able to add the interior photos to the listing (or post them, or links to them, here) then we could all see them.

Daniel

Hello.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the contact. It's great that you took the time. Unfortunately, some of these scammers know how to steal identities so feedback isn't always a safe guide. I'd be interested in the pictures.

Thanks

Paul

Hi,

Will try to add photos. If it doesn't work, email me and I'll send them individually. Couldn't see anything written inside.

Cheers,

Simon.

I'd also be curious about any notes that you might find written inside the concertina. And if you're able to add the interior photos to the listing (or post them, or links to them, here) then we could all see them.

Daniel

Hello.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Thanks

Paul

post-1891-1147117738_thumb.jpg

post-1891-1147117779_thumb.jpg

post-1891-1147117805_thumb.jpg

post-1891-1147117831_thumb.jpg

post-1891-1147117848_thumb.jpg

OK, having compared your photos with photos I took of the interior of my Jeffries 26 button I am certain that my original diagnosis was correct and that what you have is a Jeffries which is capable of being restored to make a fine little instrument. Notice the rivetted action. Best of luck with the sale.

jeffries26_2.jpg

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

If this is right, this is the first wooden-ended Jeffries that I've seen. Does anyone know more about them? Which Jeffries made them? Were they from the "quite possibly built by Crabb" or the "probably built by Jeffries" period?

OK, having compared your photos with photos I took of the interior of my Jeffries 26 button I am certain that my original diagnosis was correct and that what you have is a Jeffries which is capable of being restored to make a fine little instrument. Notice the rivetted action. Best of luck with the sale.

Chris

Edited by Daniel Hersh

If this is right, this is the first wooden-ended Jeffries that I've seen. Does anyone know more about them? Which Jeffries made them? Were they from the "quite possibly built by Crabb" or the "probably built by Jeffries" period?

It's right. My one was sold to me by Chris Algar as a Jeffries and the diagnosis confirmed by Colin Dipper. With that sort of commendation it wouldn't dare be anything else! At every level of detail I can see in the photos the two instruments are identical in their manufacture. According to Colin mine was a pretty early instrument, so therefore is a "quite possibly built by Crabb" box.

Colin bushed it for me, and with that last detail it made a good box, nearly as light as a Morse and with a really nice tone. It wasn't as fast as the metal ended 30 button Jeffries that we all know and love, but it was fast enough. Nowadays I rather regret selling it. Still, there it is ...

Chris

A chance to relive those days then?

Having looked at the thing to see what it's bid up to, what is the bloke who tried to buy it cheap referring to ('this bid is more out of curiosity'..) when he refers to buying boxes from 'Rubens' and doesn't know how he missed this one. Who are these Godlike Rubens people who have a prior option on all squeezeboxes sold?

Edited by Dirge

It's right. My one was sold to me by Chris Algar as a Jeffries and the diagnosis confirmed by Colin Dipper. With that sort of commendation it wouldn't dare be anything else! At every level of detail I can see in the photos the two instruments are identical in their manufacture. According to Colin mine was a pretty early instrument, so therefore is a "quite possibly built by Crabb" box.

I must have repaired/sold at least a dozen of these over the years and seen a good few more, one had only twenty keys, another thirty, but usually they have twenty six like this one. Some are stamped C. JEFFRIES MAKER on top in small letters (which appears to have been the case with yours Chris?), so have every right to be described as a Jeffries, whilst others have no stamp, but I believe that all of them were actually made by John Crabb, and I would always use his name to describe the unstamped ones.

They seem to go back as early as the 1870's, indeed there was one in Neil Wayne's old Concertina Museum Collection (C233) with writing on the action board "Made by C. Jeffries 1874", and would have been a cheaper model than the more usual ones with metal ends and ebony trim.

Having looked at the thing to see what it's bid up to, what is the bloke who tried to buy it cheap referring to ('this bid is more out of curiosity'..) when he refers to buying boxes from 'Rubens' and doesn't know how he missed this one. Who are these Godlike Rubens people who have a prior option on all squeezeboxes sold?

Jimmy's a dealer and "chancing his arm" there, trying to get it cheap, but somebody should tell him Rubens was a painter. On the other hand, Reuben (the man he means) is a friend of mine & used to be a "dealer's dealer" in the Portobello Road Market. Twenty years and more ago he would have had concertinas for sale nearly every week (he bought a sack full of them on one occasion!), but concertinas are much harder to find these days and Reuben is now retired through ill health.

By the way, I'm pleased to have recently bought a new computer, my old one having met with a sorry end last year, but I don't have much free time now & I'm going to have to limit myself to answering the occasional juicy question on concertina history (like this one ;) ).

Also, in the process I have lost a lot of emails, so if you're waiting for a reply from me, please get in touch again.

...I don't have much free time now & I'm going to have to limit myself to answering the occasional juicy question on concertina history (like this one ;) ).

Never mind that, just...

Welcome back!!

:)

Why won't the smiley enlarge along with the text?

I wanted to show a big smile!