"old Songs, Old Friends" Lou Killen

Does anybody have any recent information on Lou Killen? His website is not responding http://www.louiskillen.com -- has it moved? I was able to access his website about three weeks ago, and he had updated it from last June when he was experiencing medical issues; it showed a couple of gigs in December 2005, I think. I hope he's all right.

Back in December I had posted asking about Lou Killen, and I just got a nice email from Lou saying he is doing well (QED those of you who saw him perform at the Lancaster Maritime Festival in March). He hasn't updated the website because of software problems. Lou will soon have a new website, however! He was encouraging and mentioned his LP "Old Songs, Old Friends" might be good to listen to for concertina accompaniment. I have every CD he's made, but my inventory stops at LPs, although I know some people still have them.

So, my record player hit the dust years ago. I still own a tape cassette player, and I have numerous ways to listen to CDs. Goll darn it, I wish it were possible to get a digitized copy of that LP!!!

Does anyone have any idea why they don't re-issue these wonderful LPs??? Does anyone have an informally digitized copy they could lend me just so I can hear it?

1977 "Old Songs, Old Friends" Front Hall FHR 012

Edited by greenferry

1977 "Old Songs, Old Friends" Front Hall FHR 012

I have some other LP's by Louis, but not that one.

...Goll darn it, I wish it were possible to get a digitized copy of that LP!!!

Does anyone have any idea why they don't re-issue these wonderful LPs??? Does anyone have an informally digitized copy they could lend me just so I can hear it?

Have you tried contacting Andy's Front Hall? Maybe you could convince them to reissue it, as they've done for a number of other old releases, e.g., ones by Michael Cooney and by John & Tony.

I've just sent an email to Andy's Front Hall asking that my name by added to the requests for a re-issue of Old Songs, Old Friends. If enough of us request, it may increase their interest.

Rod

Or even stop in to see them on your way to the Old Songs Festival at the end of June. :)
Call first. You might find that it's closed—and that they (Andy and Bill) are at the Old Songs Festival.

Right. I shoulda thought of that.

But that should just make it easier: one-stop "shopping". :)

"Just wondering, does anyone know if there will be CONCERTINAS at the Old Songs festival in New York at the end of June?"

(why doesn't my Mac at school let me insert quotes the way I can do on my PC at home???)

Concertinas at Old Songs http://www.oldsongs.org/festival/index.html, my favorite festival:

(These are the ones I know about)

Jeff Warner

John Roberts

George Ward

Brian Peters

Not to mention the several folks wandering about with our square instrument cases!

Just wondering, does anyone know if there will be CONCERTINAS at the Old Songs festival in New York at the end of June?

The performers and their concertinas (most also play other instruments) include:

... Brian Peters - anglo (an active C.net member)

... Peggy Seeger - English (I believe she learned from Alf Edwards)

... Ian Robb w/ Finest Kind - English (will he bring his fabled double-reeded Wheatstone?)

... Michael Cooney - English (I assume he still play concertina; I recall it was a baritone)

... Jeff Warner - English (both treble and baritone, I believe)

... Debby McClatchy - ??? (I don't remember her playing concertina back when she lived in NY City, but the blurb for her Friday afternoon performance says, "...accompanied by banjo, concertina, pennywhistle and spoons.")

The MCs (very surprising if you don't also catch them playing) include:

... George Ward - English

... John Roberts - anglo (can also play English, but I think mainly anglo these days)

And of course there will be lots of other concertina players there who aren't on the bill, though some of them are known performers (and others not). Probably at least a few C.net members.

Jamming happens. Probably some pickup Morris, as well. And I see that the full detail of the daytime schedules isn't yet available, but when I was there a few years ago there were two scheduled concertina "workshops", one where performers took turns talking and explaining and the other more like a jam.

The performers and their concertinas (most also play other instruments) include:

... Brian Peters - anglo (an active C.net member)

I hope any Cnetters who go to Old Songs will come up and say hello. I'm not sure of my schedule yet, but I'm assuming there will be some kind of squeezebox workshop. I have fond memories of sharing one with Lou Killen there nearly ten years ago.

Brian

"... Peggy Seeger. I think she learned from Alf Edwards..."

Coincidently, I just found an LP in a used record bin last week- "Bothy Ballads of Scotland" - with Peggy Seeger on concertina and Alf Edwards on OCARINA.

It's well worth tracking down for your collection.

Never heard ocarina played so well!

(why doesn't my Mac at school let me insert quotes the way I can do on my PC at home???)

Good question. I'm using a Mac and have no trouble. Here's what I did. This is a jpeg of your post, as it appeared on my Mac:

post-65-1146916449_thumb.jpg

I clicked the "Reply" button at the bottom right and edited out all your words except what I wanted included in the quote (being careful not to edit out the opening and closing quote tags or any part thereof).

While in the compose/edit mode, one can quote by clicking the post-65-1146916487.jpg icon at the top and pasting any text between the tags:

like this.

Is this really not available on your Mac?

I suppose I should have taken this to another thread. Sorry.

Edited to correct "bottom left" to "bottom right."

Edited by David Barnert