Unknown Concertina

Guest Malatka

Guest Malatka
:blink: My elderly aunt who wants to sell her father’s concertina. She has no idea of its value. Who/how do I get some idea of its value? It has no manufacture name, only that it is made in Germany. It has 52 keys and is inlayed with mother of pearl. More photos avalible. Please contact mldmarcie@yahoo.com.

post-1744-1146607212_thumb.jpg

It would be helpful to see a picture of the right hand side too. Concertinas more or less like this one have recently been selling on eBay in roughly the $300-$500 price range.

Daniel

:blink: My elderly aunt who wants to sell her father’s concertina. She has no idea of its value. Who/how do I get some idea of its value? It has no manufacture name, only that it is made in Germany. It has 52 keys and is inlayed with mother of pearl. More photos avalible. Please contact mldmarcie@yahoo.com.

That's not unusual on the old German-made Chemnitzer etc. concertinas--the point is to distinguish it from the similar-looking bandonion, which many of these makers also made.

I like the apple corer idea though...

I like the fact that it has the word "Concertina" written on it in letters large enough to keep it from being mistaken for an apple corer.

It has no manufacture name, only that it is made in Germany. It has 52 keys and is inlayed with mother of pearl.

I'm not an expert on this kind of concertina, but it looks to me as if it's in good shape. Pan Kloba is the one on Concertina.net who probably knows most about this type, so I hope he joins this discussion (or maybe he has already contacted you directly?).

One detail, though, is that I think what you're calling mother of pearl is actually abalone shell.

I like the fact that it has the word "Concertina" written on it in letters large enough to keep it from being mistaken for an apple corer.

Apple corer? Naw! It's a caterpillar. Specifically, it's a tomato "worm", which has evolved to live on those square tomatoes which industrial farmers developed so that they wouldn't roll off the conveyer belt at the packing plant. :ph34r: