Session In Harrogate, Tuesday, May 2nd

Just a quick note: I am going to a three-day conference in Harrogate, UK, and intend to join the session there tomorrow, Tuesday the 2nd ("Tap and Spile", Tower Street. 20.30).

This gives me a chance to test an expression I've just learned : "hot-rodded Stagi" - that's what I'll be carrying :)

/Henrik

Just a quick note: I am going to a three-day conference in Harrogate, UK, and intend to join the session there tomorrow, Tuesday the 2nd ("Tap and Spile", Tower Street. 20.30).

This gives me a chance to test an expression I've just learned : "hot-rodded Stagi" - that's what I'll be carrying :)

/Henrik

Let's hope that they let you in, and not insist that you remain in the car park! :D

Regards,

Peter.

We've been to that session a few times over the years, Anne and I. It's a really nice, friendly session. They play English music, but with a distinct Northern bias (well, there's a surprise) so there were quite a few tunes we didn't recognise. You'll have fun.

Chris

PS Look out for the guy with half a beard.

/Henrik

Let's hope that they let you in, and not insist that you remain in the car park! :D

Regards,

Peter.

Naa - not to worry - it is camouflaged as a top-notch instrument!

/Henrik

Could have fancied that session although it's over sixty miles away which makes for a bit of a long round drive after work on a night-time. Got some work to do at home as well so I'd better not come - shame.

You'll just have to come down to one of our sessions around Sheffield Henk.

Pete

You'll have fun.

Chris

PS Look out for the guy with half a beard.

May 3rd. A short hotel-room-in-Harrogate-blog:

Right! I did indeed have fun - a small, friendly group of people (no half beard, though).

Now, here's a question for you: I played "The First of August", a tune from the island Fanoe in south western Denmark - interestingly, a tune I picked out from Brian Peters (thanks, Brian, lovely playing). But, at the end, when I said it was a Danish tune, someone said: "Hmm - I didn't know the Danes celebrated Yorkshire Day".

Dear Dr. Timson, please enlighten me!

/Henrik

: "Hmm - I didn't know the Danes celebrated Yorkshire Day".

Dear Dr. Timson, please enlighten me!

Well, we in the medical profession have a methodolgy for handling this sort of request by prescribing a moderate dose of buggeredifino pills. After just one dose most patients are happy to proclaim complete freedom from enlightenment problems.

Perhaps one of our Yorkshire Tykes can answer Henrik (and me) ?

Chris

Ah, the good old buggeredifino pills - best treatment for dunnomate syndrome there is! Glad to see I'm not the only one prescribing it. I wonder if they use it in the states, too. Dr Barnert?

...I played "The First of August", a tune from the island Fanoe in south western Denmark - interestingly, a tune I picked out from Brian Peters (thanks, Brian, lovely playing). But, at the end, when I said it was a Danish tune, someone said: "Hmm - I didn't know the Danes celebrated Yorkshire Day".

Apparently in England -- or at least in Yorkshire -- the first of August is celebrated as "Yorkshire Day". I don't believe they were referring to the tune "Den Første August" itself being English or even familiar to them, though some of the Sønderhoning tunes are variants of tunes I know as 17th-century English dance tunes. And there is apparently also an English hornpipe known as "The First of August", but it's not at all like "Den Første August" from Fanø.

Apparently in England -- or at least in Yorkshire -- the first of August is celebrated as "Yorkshire Day".

Well, you learn something new every day (see also attached link):

http://www.yorkshire-ridings.org.uk/yorkshireday.htm

It's not made it as far as rural Surrey, yet, but if my Greek and African neighbours move out, and are replaced by natives of Yorkshire, we might have a "knees-up" on 1st August.

I checked Google for "Surrey Day", but we do not appear to have declared UDI yet! :unsure:

Regards,

Peter.