That Concertina Is Mine!

At a workshop a couple of years ago I sat next to someone with the same concertina as me an Andy Norman Anglo in C/G and it got me thinking about the possibilities of picking up the wrong box etc. [This is in addition to the serial number being different!]

I now have three short ribbons (green, white and black) attached to the bottom of the right handle using the normal screw. This was only to be a temporary arrangement whilst I looked for a leather tag to fit (still looking as I have not found one).

Has anyone else "marked" their concertina in some way so that it is clearly theirs? If so what have you done?

Edited by Peter Brook

My concertinas very rarely are out of my sight and in my box if I am not playing them.

My name and address are inside my concertinas.

Sometime ago we discussed security systems for concertinas and Micro Chipping was suggested as a possibility.If the Sattelite tracking security devices get small enough and cheap enough,we could have them built in to our concertinas for security measures.Certainly at the cost that some concertinas are rising to it may be a future Insurance requirement.

Al

At a workshop a couple of years ago I sat next to someone with the same concertina as me an AC Norman Anglo in C/G and it got me thinking about the possibilities of picking up the wrong box etc.

It would be very nice if the person sitting next to you had been playing a Jeffries and took the wrong one home. ;)

Has anyone else "marked" their concertina in some way so that it is clearly theirs? If so what have you done?

Peter

To answer your first question: yes I did.

To answer your second question: I will not publish what I did. Not only you, or other C.Netters may read this message, but a potential thief of my concertina could also read this :( :angry:

As I understand it, Peter wsa talking about simple, instant identification, to prevent mistakes, not the measures we take against thieves, which, of course, should not be revealed. After all, anyone could remove the ribbons from Peter's concertina, but if you'd just picked up the wrong box, that is the easy way for him to prove it.

Samantha

As I understand it, Peter wsa talking about simple, instant identification, to prevent mistakes,... but if you'd just picked up the wrong box, that is the easy way for him to prove it.

Or, in fact, for you to notice that it's not yours before he has to tell you.

Well yes Henk, I didn't mean anti-theft measures which of course should be kept private. This is about mistaken identity and "personalisation" for sessions and workshops.

Edited by Peter Brook

When I went up to NEFFA last week, I was a little worried about this too, since my concertina lives in a standard black Button Box case. So, I just put a luggage tag on the handle of the case. I figured any time the concertina was out of the case it would be in my hands, so the biggest worry was someone picking up the case thinking it looked just like their case.

:)

Steven

Ah ! just joined today. (kept my mudcat name)

I have ribbons on my 1914'ish Lachenal. Three shades of blue. It helps.

Where can I find out about playing in other keys on my C/G anglo??

post-1882-1146735067_thumb.jpg

I followed Animaterra's lead, and bought a "leash" for my case when I was at NEFFA, one of those colorful one-inch wide woven bands about six feet long with South American designs on it. She tied one end around her wrist to keep it in tow whilst strolling around NEFFA, to avoid setting it down and forgetting about it, something many of us have done at one time or another. :unsure:

I can guess you regularly have trouble telling your 'box from other peoples. It's so ordinary...

Ah, but you should hear him play it! It sounds like no other concertina at all! I think there are some examples on the recorded tunes link page.

Samantha

(Try nicking anything from a Yorkshireman!!)

A Yorkshireman: Often defined as a Scotsman with the generosity knocked out of him (before I get into trouble I should point out that I'm half Yorkshire :ph34r: )