Cleaning Keys

Take the buttons out, remove all the felts then give them a good scrub with a toothbrush and a detergent solution in warm water. Flash works for me. Toothpaste is quite good too. Much of the dirt is greasy so the detergent helps to shift it.

Here is a "before and after" picture of what you can expect with this method: image here

• 2 months later...

Hello - I'm new here, this is my first post.

Have you trie an ultrasonic cleaner, the type used to clean jewelry?

I bought one to clean the reeds in an accordion I'm fixing. So far, all my wife's jewelry and watches look great.

Hello - I'm new here, this is my first post.

Have you trie an ultrasonic cleaner, the type used to clean jewelry?

I bought one to clean the reeds in an accordion I'm fixing. So far, all my wife's jewelry and watches look great.

I have used an ultrasonic cleaner, but not on bone keys, I will try it and report back.

P.S I hope your wife's watch was waterproof

Dave

I have used an ultrasonic cleaner, but not on bone keys, I will try it and report back.

Dave

I've been using an ultrasonic cleaning bath for a while now. I've used all sorts of cleaning solutions including detergents, distilled vinegar, meths, peroxide etc

However, there is one outstanding cleaner that gives almost unbelievable results on bone buttons and that is...........................CILLIT BANG........., Dont laugh, I know the adverts are trash but believe me the dirt just dissapears...........BANG and its gone, hoho.

But seriously folks, just poor it in from the bottle, enough to cover the buttons and with my bath it takes only 30 seconds.

A warning though, dont do it too long, the bone will start to go soft and flake!! it only takes a short time.

P.S. DO NOT use this stuff on your reeds, although the copper penny "dip test" does actually work like it does on the TV, reeds take on the strange pink colour of the solution!

post-623-1152775135_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Roy

However, there is one outstanding cleaner that gives almost unbelievable results on bone buttons and that is...........................CILLIT BANG........., Dont laugh, I know the adverts are trash but believe me the dirt

I was going to ask what Cillit Bang is, but I've Googled it instead.

I suppose it will be in Oz soon.

MC

Edited by malcolm clapp