Concertina Tattoo

"Bad" as in "evil", or "bad" as in "ugly", or "bad" in the more recent idiom of "really cool"?
Well, I've already got 3, all nicely covered up with the application of a t-shirt and a pair of socks, so I'm already going to look bad in the nursing home!

I was just pondering what happens to elderly skin over time, depending on the location. I actually enjoy looking at good body art- for example, the other day I was waited on by a lovely, friendly young woman at a Korean restaurant (the woman was not Korean) who had a profusion of roses and abstract vines pouring over both shoulders. She is lovely right now. But 10 years from now, or more, or less, will she still be glad she went to the trouble?

Meanwhile, I have two friends who found each other and married in their 40s; instead of rings they chose tha permanance of matching ankle tattoos done in Celtic knotwork. They are the happiest couple I know, 15 years later.

I have this annoying practical side that prevents me from doing all sorts of impetuous, creative things. Sorry if that side caused me to make a curmudgeonly remark!

something less abstract, like a parade of elephants trunk to tail
Elephants with either bellows bodies or bellows trunks? - now that would be a good idea for a concertina tattoo!

I was thinking of the elephants as the gold-tooled decoration on a bellows.

But if you have an elephant with a concertina-bellows trunk, then you could have a button pattern on the end for "nostrils" (instead of just two). Like a shower head when it sprays itself, rather than a hose. ;)

But I just can't get over how bad all these tattoos are going to look in the nursing home...

By the time I end up in the nursing home I don't think the rest of my body will be looking so great, so I don't think a few faded tattoos are going to matter too much.

Meanwhile, I have two friends who found each other and married in their 40s; instead of rings they chose tha permanance of matching ankle tattoos done in Celtic knotwork. They are the happiest couple I know, 15 years later.

I sincerely hope that their happiness is not dependant on two tattoos.. :ph34r:

For a design pattern, I like some of the avatars that people have chosen; they serve the same kind of emblematic purpose; small, brief and easily read at a glance.

Samantha, yours is nice because it shows all the elements of the instrument in clean easily read lines. I also like the affable chap that Alan D has chosen for his avatar; cheerful and observant whilst playing along.

Or maybe just a faithful copy of the fretwork on the ends of a lovingly crafted anglo would suit.

Despite it all, I've managed to get through the hippie years, the biker years and the tramp manual laborer years without any skin art. Not sure what stayed my hand, but it doesn't look like I'll be going under the needle anytime soon. Fun to think about, though.

Re the whole 'nursing home' thing -- it's just that I thought it was so odd that someone else actually thought the same thing that I did! Not only that, but another concertina player! Hehehe.

I don't really mind about the age of tattooed skin -- that's not the point -- the whole 'idea' for me was simply that the we are, as mortals, physically bound to be 'ashes to ashes and dust to dust' or whatever. I just never developed a taste for a whole lot of physical embellishment, I guess. (...Though, I suppose some people wish I would, so I'd be more to look at!)

I can't say I've never been vain and foolish, or that I've never had to do with the likes of that kind of people! I'm also really glad that I eventually met a different set of people. And I am not saying that all people who love tattoos are too physical or whatever.

Anyway, of course, there are some FANTASTIC tattoos.

As for CONCERTINA tattoos -- I'm pretty sure that one or more of the artists at Mom's Tattoos could do something nice, if you discussed it with them. They of course had all the general type of tattoos, but could probably do a special order. As for Art Gecko (not near The Button Box, though...), I don't know, probably the same.

According to a report in New Scientist, someone has just invented a method of making tattoos that can be reliably removed (allegedly) with a laser. Though maybe some while before it is at a torture chamber near you. Of course it may be all a load of baloney like all such previous claims, but this one sounds quite convincing.

Disappearing Tattoos

Edinburgh would have been my answer - clearly Samantha and I are on the same wavelength here....

it did make me think about how you mark out your concertina (if at all) and i'll start a new discussion rather than drifting this one off..............

One of my tattoos is of Will Kemp, Shakespeare's most famous comic actor, as well as a famous morris dancer. I had it copied from the woodcut at the beginning of his "nine dayes wonder" journal. I am very proud of it.

One of my tattoos is of Will Kemp...

Very cool! One of my tattoos is a small Irish harp. Personally I think a tattoo of a concertina would be great. Just haven't seen a design I really like yet.... :P

Kind regards

Morgana

• 12 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also mis-read Tattoo. Thinking it was Taboo. I’ve only been playing a couple of months and throughly I’d better check this out to make sure I do not cross any lines (taboos). BTW - how about a cycle of fifths tattoo. I know a guitarist with on.

On 4/25/2006 at 1:14 PM, Animaterra said:

Yes, me too! Or a design based on the Jeffries scroll-work. But I just can't get over how bad all these tattoos are going to look in the nursing home...

I'm heavily tattooed and at 60 the tattoos look considerably better than i do

(I have a Hohner 4 stop melodeon tattoo but not a concertina.... yet ? )