Dippers On Radio 3

Thanks for that indeed, we would have missed it otherwise. We've only just got back from the Folk South West Easter School, which is 4 days of intense tuition as part of relatively small groups: in my case in playing and arranging English music in groups with John Kirkpatrick, and in Anne's case fiddle with, yes, John Dipper. So it's a very timely programme for us.

Chris

Got in a little after 11 last night and turned the radio on. Someone was playing the fiddle and Anne said, "That's John Dipper. I've spent the last four days listening to him and I can recognise the sound of his violin as well as his playing style". This was followed by Rob Harbron talking about concertina (as well as life on a narrow boat). Simple bit of introduction to the concertina and its history, then some tunes. Then Colin and Rosalie introduced themselves and talked about concertina making for a while, until the focus of the programme moved on.

The rest of the programme we heard was also of a very higfh standard, and ended with a fine song by Chris Wood that told the story of the mummers play and gave the show its name: England in Ribbons. Well done Radio 3 for giving our favourite instrument a fair crack of the whip, and as ever for keeping alive English folk music on radio.

Apparently it should be possible to find the programme again on Radio3's Listen Again web site here.

Chris

Well done Radio 3 for giving our favourite instrument a fair crack of the whip, and as ever for keeping alive English folk music on radio.

Excellent all round! Even the part about Shakespeare, which puzzled me until I realized that 10:00 pm in England is 11:00 pm in Denmark, and I had tuned in an hour early. :D

Good old radio3, always ready to do justice to minority musical interests. The only other evidence that Sunday was St. George's day was a few England flags on car aerials. In England we are made more aware of St. Patric's day Thanks mainly to Guinness promotions. Perhaps some of the English brewers could do simmilar things for St George. "In comes I.........."

DH - yes, I record around 6 hours of folk a week and listen to it in the car (its good stress-relief).

With this, and the Radio Ballads, we folkies have certainly had (some of) our License-fees worth this year.