all right if you really want to know: :o

1 anglo

2 i dont understand question

3 no

4 waist high

5 bald on top, above the ears for the rest

6 they would fit more in {d}

7 a 2 on chest, one one my belly, 2 on my back, 1 hugh one on my right side

b 1 left shoulder, 1 left under arm. 1 left fore arm. 1 right shoulder, 1 right under arm, 1 right knee, 1 left knee

c n/a

d n/a

e n/a

{ i think thats all. the 70's was good}

8 i would have to say a

didnt ask for my job, but i thought it might even make it a little more intresting: preacher of the gospil

you see it takes all kind of people from all different back grounds to make this world go around.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me guess: most of reasonable people that play concertinas DON'T wear tatoos. Some, I guess, do.

Yes indeed, some do.

I'm kind of of the opinion that tatoo comes from criminal culture of today, where it got from clan culture of yersteryear.

My mileage obviously differs as I have no affiliations with either cultures.

A tatoo is a lifelong sign of belonging. One can't wash it off, as one can't betray the clan, as it was. Nowadays it's a sign of life long belonging to the mob, criminal gang, or anything that you can't choose to leave, once entered.

And then there are those amongst us who don't belong to the mob, criminal gang, bikie gang, or any other negative stereotype you wish to name; who choose to get tattoos for our own personal reasons.

The spread of tattoo fashion today I address to the spread of criminal sub-culture: rap and low oversized pants in the US (passive homosexual in the prison system), short haircut, prison slang in Russia. Most tatoos are of agressive nature, few concertina players tatoo concertinas on their chests.

Most tattoos are *not* of an agressive nature. Most tattoos *that you are aware of* might be.

Kind regards

Morgana

A poll proposal here, on behalf of the interested:

Do you have anything on behalf of the uninterested?

1. Do you play an English, Anglo, or Duet concertina?

Yes. (And, not or.)

2. Are you reasonable, mostly?

You want my opinion, or the opinion of others who know me?

3. Are you a member of a criminal gang?

Define "criminal". (Some people think that playing concertina is "criminal". Does Concrtina.net qualify as a "gang"?)

4. How low pants waistband when measured from the top of your hips?

How should I represent negative numbers?

5. How short is your hair?

Just about as short as it is long. (And shorter on the sides than on the top.)

6. If tattooed, please indicate artistic style.

Not tattooed, but I tend to prefer baroque and folk for musical art and stylized representational for visual art.

7. If tattooed, please indicate location.

Not tattooed, but I'm in Denmark.

8. How's your self respect?

Better than I deserve. :unsure:

I didn't say that people who fancy a tatoo are necessarily associated with the gang of some sort.

I was saying that history and the idea of a tatoo, a permanent picture, imbedded into your skin, comes from certain sources. Just like a youth wearing low pants is unaware of the reasons for such fashion and is just concerned with fitting in. The source of such fashion is nonetheless real and serious. A tatoo as a random adorenement is rather ridiculous, and I know people who pay dearly for it's removal later in life. But historically a tatoo is a serious cultural phenomena and comes from above mentioned circles for above mentioned reasons.

Just imagine a young girl with a snake on a rose on her back, coming into her panties. Inviting. isn't it? Just imagine said girl in her 60es or 70es.

I'm just a bit concerned that concertina folks might follow accordion folks, where there is this idea that to be popular (?) with the young people (?), accordions must be hip, cool, hot, be played by punks, come in neon colors, and all this is good.

I'd say, concertinas are good not because they are played by punks, but exactly for the opposite reasons.

If a youth considers concertina too folky and old fashioned, he's right. The one thing this youth doesn't appreciate yet, is that he himself will be too folky and old fashioned before he knows it.

(And what about the youth, involved in folk culture? Many more of them play concertinas than Rock bands, but it seems 100 of them don't stear as much enthusiasm as one rock musician, adapting a concertina. It's unfair)

I didn't say that people who fancy a tatoo are necessarily associated with the gang of some sort.

Then I'd be interested to hear what you meant by the statement: "Nowadays it's a sign of life long belonging to the mob, criminal gang, or anything that you can't choose to leave, once entered."

A tatoo as a random adorenement is rather ridiculous, and I know people who pay dearly for it's removal later in life.

I disagree with your assumtion that all tattoos not assocaited with a gang or criminal organisation are random. There are as many reasons for tattoos as there are tattoos themselves.

Yes, some people do pay dearly for it's removal later; others are more than happy to keep them and maintain them.

I'm just a bit concerned that concertina folks might follow accordion folks, where there is this idea that to be popular (?) with the young people (?), accordions must be hip, cool, hot, be played by punks, come in neon colors, and all this is good.

Why be concerned? There seem to be many accordion and concertina players out there who are interested in neither. And so what if they are? Contrary to the stereotype *not* all punks are criminals, troublemakers, or the underdesirables your mother awarned you about. And not everyone who plays the concertina wants to stick the folk or traditional music.

I'd say, concertinas are good not because they are played by punks, but exactly for the opposite reasons.

So concertinas are now not good because one band member in a punk band has taken it up the instrument?

In my opinion I think that it's great that someone wants to learn to play an instrument, no matter what their personal choice in music. And there certainly can never be too many concertina players.

Kind regards

Morgana

You lot agonise too much. It's easy. Concertinas? Great. Tattooed hands? Got to be some sort of hedge monkey. Both at the same time? Just coincidence and not worth much thought.

Don't be too pleased at the trendy use of a 'box though; the day a major pop star plays the concertina we're all stuffed because there aren't enough decent ones to go round. (especially if you play Maccan/Crane duet where you only have the stock of old instruments to draw on).

really does it matter how many tattoos a concertina player has or dont have for that matter? i you dont like them dont look. and by all means dont get one. just because sometime in my life i felt the need to get a few, doesnt stop me from enjoying the sounds these li boxes make. these tats as matter fact hasnt even hindered what i do one bit, yea there few that turn there nose up when im ask to preach, are play my lil box before them. most times it is them standing at the back waiting to say i sorry for judgeing, even before i heard you. let people be, and you be yourself. and if we can find something in common, such as a li box the makes a few notes we then have something to build on. any way enjoy your concertina, let the punker enjoy his. and please let this tattooed preacher enjoy his. thank GOD for the cross over. maybe bob will be able to sell a few more. jmho

Just imagine a young girl with a snake on a rose on her back, coming into her panties. Inviting. isn't it? Just imagine said girl in her 60es or 70es.

I think this says more about your judgements than it does about the young girl's (woman's) choice of tattoo. Presumably the tattoo is inviting because it belongs to a young woman. It isn't the tattoo that is putting you off, it is the age of the woman. Personally I would have thought that most tattoos were a sign of individuality rather than wanting to belong to a certain group. Many tattoos, including one of mine, are extremely individual, having been carefully planned and with an important meaning to me. It is not to everyone's taste, but I sure you know the phrase about books and covers. Life would be boring if we were all the same. We would all be playing guitar for one thing.

Life would be boring if we were all the same. We would all be playing guitar for one thing.

Naw, Nigel. "All the same" doesn't place any requirements on what kind of "same". If we were all the same, it might be that we all played concertina... or theremin... or harp... or lots of instruments... or none. I sort of like the idea of everybody playing tuba, though. :D

I do like the notion of a "concertina.net gang". I can see us now, screaming into some unsuspecting small town, taking over the local City Park bandstand, squeezing, chording, roaring irreverent (sorry chainyanker), drinking songs and forcing the residents to do folk dances until they collapse in exhaustion, then riding off into the grey morning, leaving the stunned locals to wonder what had happened...

Where's Marlon Brando when ya need him?

I do like the notion of a "concertina.net gang".

I think it's gonna have to be two competing gangs, the one group tattooed with the likeness of an anglo and the other with an English. The leader of the first group gets a Jeffries tattoo; the leader of the second group is tattooed with a tenor-treble Æola; the rest have to settle for Lachenal tattoos. ;)

Where's Marlon Brando when ya need him?

What? Did he play concertina, too? :D

i guess the old song chould be changed to "BORN TO BE SQUEEZERS."

Or just "Born to Squeeze"? Plenty of room there for multiple (mis)interpretations. Just what I like! :)

"I think it's gonna have to be two competing gangs, the one group tattooed with the likeness of an anglo and the other with an English. The leader of the first group gets a Jeffries tattoo; the leader of the second group is tattooed with a tenor-treble Æola; the rest have to settle for Lachenal tattoos. "

But one has to plan carefully and be very reasonable, because if one will decide to switch from AC to EC, he will have to be either killed, ousted from the gang, or pay dearly for a tatoo removal.

Also, if a young girl gets a frolicking Anglo tatoo, later in life, when she moves to a classical Duet, what is she to do?

.... if one will decide to switch from AC to EC, he will have to be either killed, ousted from the gang, or pay dearly for a tatoo removal...

Surely having to play the EC would be punishment enough?

:lol:

But one has to plan carefully and be very reasonable,...

No need here for extra care. I was born reasonable! :)

Also, if a young girl gets a frolicking Anglo tatoo, later in life, when she moves to a classical Duet, what is she to do?

Michael, what's this thing you have about "young girls"? They're people just like everyone else. So she would do the same thing that an old geezer (I daren't name names) would do with an unwanted tattoo. ;) (A duet player wanting to return to the roots of his English youth?)

Surely having to play the EC would be punishment enough?

A conundrum: Is it possible to punish a masochist? :unsure: