Tedrow Concertina Pictured In Punk Rock Confidential Magazine

Boys and Girls,

I bring this to your attention, not only because it represents a groundbreaking moment in the history of Tedrow concertinas.

It is because I suspect you all are not subscribers to this singular publication, Punk Rock Confidential www.punkrockcon.com

Know that in the current issue of Punk Rock Confidential there are not one, but two images of Matt Hensley of Flogging Molly playing a concertina I built for him last year. Matt has a clothing line, Innes Clothing, and is a member of the Innes Skate Team. (that's skateboarding for you over 40 types)

Punk Rock Confidential is published quarterly in San Fransico.

humbly,

Bob Tedrow

Edited by Bob Tedrow

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news Bob! I've got a Floggin' Molly tee shirt I've been known to wear to bluegrass festivals because their name sounds like the title to a famous Bill Monroe song gone wrong :D .

Edited by Mark Evans

I bring this to your attention, not only because it represents a groundbreaking moment in the history of Tedrow concertinas.

Truly cool.

By the way, Bob, I was at a Morris event recently and a guy had one of your newish 8-sided anglos. I had a quick go at it and was blown away by how good it sounded and played.

That is so cool, Bob! I've never thought of the concertina as a punk rock instrument, but then again, hey, why not?

Actually to a certain extent, I think instruments like the concertina can fit into the part of the punk ethos that thumbs its nose at convention. The very fact that the concertina is not an accepted instrument in rock is enough to get at least some punks interested in it.

In any case, thats brilliant Bob. Can you tell us a bit more about this specific instrument? Do you have any pictures of it yourself?

--

Bill

That is so cool, Bob! I've never thought of the concertina as a punk rock instrument, but then again, hey, why not?

Actually to a certain extent, I think instruments like the concertina can fit into the part of the punk ethos that thumbs its nose at convention. The very fact that the concertina is not an accepted instrument in rock is enough to get at least some punks interested in it.

In any case, thats brilliant Bob. Can you tell us a bit more about this specific instrument? Do you have any pictures of it yourself?

--

Bill

Sure, give me a couple minutes and I will have a couple shots.

Bob

I didn't know Punk is so popular among reasonable people.

In any case, I'm glad for that person with tatooed hands, holding the concertina. He's on the way to recovery, let his years be long and illness free. Getting rid of tattoo will be difficult, but doable.

Let's hope this concertina will be his life raft.

Good job, Bob, thank you. One more soul to your credit.

QUOTE(Animaterra @ Apr 20 2006, 11:53 AM) *

Flogging Molly is a really fun band. They do very Irish-y influenced stuff a la the Pogues.

I feel like they're one of the few bands around now that do that well.

very glad to hear that they've integrated a concertina into their sound.

Pb

Flogging Molly is one of my favourite bands, and I think the concertina will fit in well.

M3838 - you'd be surprised how many "reasonable" people play concertinas AND have tattoos! :P

Kind regards

Morgana :)

Let me guess: most of reasonable people that play concertinas DON'T wear tatoos. Some, I guess, do. I'm kind of of the opinion that tatoo comes from criminal culture of today, where it got from clan culture of yersteryear.

A tatoo is a lifelong sign of belonging. One can't wash it off, as one can't betray the clan, as it was. Nowadays it's a sign of life long belonging to the mob, criminal gang, or anything that you can't choose to leave, once entered. The spread of tattoo fashion today I address to the spread of criminal sub-culture: rap and low oversized pants in the US (passive homosexual in the prison system), short haircut, prison slang in Russia.

Most tatoos are of agressive nature, few concertina players tatoo concertinas on their chests.

A poll proposal here, on behalf of the interested:

1. Do you play an English, Anglo, or Duet concertina?

2. Are you reasonable, mostly?

3. Are you a member of a criminal gang?

4. How low pants waistband when measured from the top of your hips?

A. < 2.54cm?

B. >2.53--6.12cm

C. 6.13--12.26cm

D. > 12.27cm

5. How short is your hair?

A. < .6cm

B. > .59cm but < 1m

6. If tattooed, please indicate artistic style.

A. Cartoon character

B. Four letter word (eg. love, hate, mama)

C. Body organ (eg, heart, lung, liver)

D. Mythic or majestic symbol (eg. dragon, gargoyle, butterfly, pit bull, Bambi, huge flying, massively

toothed thing)

E. Magic or power symbol (eg. rune, celtic knot, dollar or euro sign)

D. Brand name (eg. Marlboro, Kleenex, Dipper, Morse)

7. If tattooed, please indicate location.

A. Chest

B. Limb

C. Hand and/or foot

D. Finger/knuckles

E. Elsewhere (if female, please complete and submit on-site verification permission form)

F. Musical instrument (eg. Concertina, chemnitzer, bandoneon, stumpf fiddle)

8. How's your self respect?

A. Great, thanks.

B. Couldn't be better since I saved up and got my new concertina.

C. Mind your own business!

D. Get lost.

Thanks for your participation!

1. Do you play an English, Anglo, or Duet concertina?----------Anglo

2. Are you reasonable, mostly?-------------------------------------Yes

3. Are you a member of a criminal gang?-------------------------Mind your own business

4. How low pants waistband when measured from the top of your hips?

A. < 2.54cm

5. How short is your hair?---------------------------------------------What hair?

6. If tattooed, please indicate artistic style.----------------Yet to be decided.

7. If tattooed, please indicate location.----------------------------------Hmm

8. How's your self respect?

A. Great, thanks.