Chicago Or La Areas - Source For Concertinas?

Hello, again. I realize that I really should try to play any new concertina upgrade in person. I live in southern California but will be in the Chicago area in Aug. I know that Lark In The Morning is a possibility, but I won't be in the area until Sept. I'm thinking about a Stagi. And by the way, I'm addicted. Thanks all of you for your help so far. I think this is a great site. I'm close to LA. Any sources there?

Hello, again. I realize that I really should try to play any new concertina upgrade in person. I live in southern California but will be in the Chicago area in Aug. I know that Lark In The Morning is a possibility, but I won't be in the area until Sept. I'm thinking about a Stagi. And by the way, I'm addicted. Thanks all of you for your help so far. I think this is a great site. I'm close to LA. Any sources there?

Not that I know of. The only shops I would send you to are in Alabama and Massachusetts. Sorry, this ain't like playing guitar. I bought my first new Stagi from Lark and did OK, but be aware that they charge top dollar in return for instant availability of obscure instruments. I would only mail order a Stagi from Tedrow or Button Box. Lark I would want to be there in person and try all the ones they had to get the best one, after deciding I could live with their price. It does pay to try Stagis first, metal W15s (for example) have buttons too close to the handle for many players.

There are quite a few (maybe 8 or 10, that's a lot for concertina!) players scattered around L.A. The one I knew best has unfortunately passed on. But someone may look in on us; trying their box is still the best way to get an idea. This finding other players may sound challenging, but you are much closer to others than many of our members outside the British Isles. Cheers,

Ken

There are a couple of players in the San Diego area. I believe Micheal Eskin lives down in that area and plays in a session down there. Also, there used to be a fellow who occasionally frequents a pub in the Carlsbad area. The Celtic Arts Center in Studio City might have some leads as well.

I feel for you, as I once lived in SoCall, not many players to speak of in the area.

Good Luck,

Dominic