Mornington Crescent For Concertina Players

OK I see it. It's not the same as Mornington Crescent. For one thing it is much too complex! Mornington Crescent is simplicity itself in comparison. For another this CalvinBall thing is primarily physical whilst MC prizes the intellectual and thoughtful. Finally, of course. CalvinBall appears to be a joke and an offshoot from a comedy production of some kind, a charge which of course could never be levelled against MC.

Humph!

Chris

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread has me mystified. Is this the equivalent of "CalvinBall" from the Calvin and Hobbes series?

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/2990/cb_rules.htm

I think that Samantha might have something to say about rule 1.8

Regards,

Peter.

PS for Chris T. - you'll be fine when Broadband makes it to BoA. :D

" "

I invoke the 1927 Heisenberg Uncertainty Clause and go to 'Maida Vale'.
I'm unsure, shouldn't your move be to Kilburn Park? Referee??

I'm not sure we have a referee. And I haven't heard much of the British Umpire lately, either. :ph34r:

So it falls to me to finish the game. Maida Vale stands, and all I need do is execute a simple Wheatstone reverse (a la Peter Trimming) and go to MORNINGTON CRESCENT. I'm amazed no-one else saw that.

Phew, what a game. One for the record books, I would have thought.

Chris

So it falls to me to finish the game. Maida Vale stands, and all I need do is execute a simple Wheatstone reverse (a la Peter Trimming) and go to MORNINGTON CRESCENT. I'm amazed no-one else saw that.

Chris

Well done Chris. I can now get on with the rest of my life (at least until someone starts another game).

Thank goodness that it was only a demonstration game, and not "for real"!

Peter.

Chris

[blows whistle] Peeeeeeeeeeeeep! [/blows whistle]

Chris

[blows whistle] Peeeeeeeeeeeeep! [/blows whistle]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd just like to say that as a member of the audience that was a really thrilling game and I can't wait for next week's installment....

Actually I think it would be wearing out our welcome to play on this forum too frequently. There are a number of sites that support open play, and there are quite often games on Mudcat for people of a folky persuasion. I think perhaps a game once a year in February to commemorate Wheatstone's birth would be appropriate (did you know that CW was an occasional contributor to Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac? I didn't until recently. There may be scope here for an article in the Concertina Library).

Chris

did you know that CW was an occasional contributor to Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac?

I believe that's where he proposed his Wheatstone Bridge move for advanced players.

did you know that CW was an occasional contributor to Stovold's Mornington Crescent Almanac?
I believe that's where he proposed his Wheatstone Bridge move for advanced players.

Not to be confused with the London Bridge move, which left it stranded in Arizona. :o

Not to be confused with the London Bridge move, which left it stranded in Arizona. :o

Yes, we had a lot of laughs when this was sold :lol: . Why would anyone want to buy it, in "slightly used" condition? By the way, Tower Bridge is still not for sale!

Regards,

Peter.

Yes, we had a lot of laughs when this was sold :lol: . Why would anyone want to buy it, in "slightly used" condition?

Didn't somebody mention "C. Jeffries" carved into one of the stones? B)

Just got back from a 4 days away so I missed the climax. Masterful finish Chris, masterful!

Why, thank you. Praise from the praiseworthy indeed. I thought your home run in the Northampton Masters of Mornington Crescent series of 2003 an extraordinary display altogether.

Cheers,

Chris