Mornington Crescent For Concertina Players

For example there is a little known diatonic manoeuvre which may be used in Praed Street, but only if the original rules are in play.....

I've started this thread because I felt that the Mornington Crescent conversation was getting a little too settled for the "Fun with Thread Drift" thread.

Is this your first move in the demonstration game, Theo? I don't see why it shouldn't be since it is a very elegant reverse Wheatstone manoeuvre, according to the ICA variations I referred to earlier.

My response: Totteridge and Whetstone. Since this is a demonstration game I should explain that I am attempting to build on Theo's reverse Wheatstone to place the next player at serious risk of Knip if he/she is not careful (under the ICA variations this is a free role change in commemoration of the free reed).

For more information on the noble game see www.morningtoncrescent.org. I have also found a surprisingly capable computerised opponent here, for newbies who would like to practice before joining the game.

Chris

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example there is a little known diatonic manoeuvre which may be used in Praed Street, but only if the original rules are in play.....

I've started this thread because I felt that the Mornington Crescent conversation was getting a little too settled for the "Fun with Thread Drift" thread.

Is this your first move in the demonstration game, Theo? I don't see why it shouldn't be since it is a very elegant reverse Wheatstone manoeuvre, according to the ICA variations I referred to earlier.

My response: Totteridge and Whetstone. Since this is a demonstration game I should explain that I am attempting to build on Theo's reverse Wheatstone to place the next player at serious risk of Knip if he/she is not careful (under the ICA variations this is a free role change in commemoration of the free reed).

For more information on the noble game see www.morningtoncrescent.org. I have also found a surprisingly capable computerised opponent here, for newbies who would like to practice before joining the game.

Chris

Hi Chris,

You didn't set a limit to the number of players, so, assuming that it's my turn, I'll go:

"Oval"

I have to say that it's a long time since I played, and not under this version of the rules (i.e. I hope that my move is valid!).

Regards,

Peter.

Chris

Hi Chris,

You didn't set a limit to the number of players, so, assuming that it's my turn, I'll go:

"Oval"

I have to say that it's a long time since I played, and not under this version of the rules (i.e. I hope that my move is valid!).

Regards,

Peter.

Can I assume that we are using the New Mayfair Rules (which seem appropriately named for this group) as opposed to the Lloyd George Rules. They normally take precedence in the order Lloyd George, New Mayfair, the Further New Lloyd George.

Oval is a very astute move considering you've not played for a while.

I'll go "Regent's Park" within sight of Wheatstone's blue plaque in Park Crescent. (Explanation: an attempt to follow on from Peter's eliptical progression).

Howard Mitchell

A-ha, you've fallen into my trap despite my flagging it up for all the world to see. I claim Knip upon you, which means a double score to me, enables me to block the Aldgate loop and follow Crabb's Progression to Islington.

Chris

With great respect to you guys charging off into games of this sort without a referee or a scorer, shouldnt you have waited for Samantha to get back from a pub session. You know she was looking forward to having her knees-up round the kings head.

As our Samantha lives in Scotland and I'm nibbling on a batch of freshly made shortbread, I think I should head for Baker Street.

Some very suspect moves here unless we're allowed double cross-overs. A ruling please!

If not cross-overs can we allow cross-rowing?

"Cross rowing"? I didn't realize there was a special term for it, but it's certainly allowed in the current rules, as those first seven moves form a row of "Crosses". I.e., each of those moves passes through a station with "Cross" in the name:

... 1) King's Cross

... 2) King's Cross

... 3) Charing Cross

... 4) Brent Cross

... 5) Brent Cross

... 6) King's Cross

... 7) King's Cross

.......... :)

But if rowing makes you cross, perhaps you should take up sailing?

If it were my turn (it's not; only Henk and Johan are allowed to make double Dutch moves) I would recommend a stop at Bayswater, but watch the mast around Putney Bridge. :ph34r:

Some very suspect moves here unless we're allowed double cross-overs. A ruling please!

If not cross-overs can we allow cross-rowing?

"Cross rowing"? I didn't realize there was a special term for it, but it's certainly allowed in the current rules, as those first seven moves form a row of "Crosses". I.e., each of those moves passes through a station with "Cross" in the name:

... 1) King's Cross

... 2) King's Cross

... 3) Charing Cross

... 4) Brent Cross

... 5) Brent Cross

... 6) King's Cross

... 7) King's Cross

.......... :)

But if rowing makes you cross, perhaps you should take up sailing?

If it were my turn (it's not; only Henk and Johan are allowed to make double Dutch moves) I would recommend a stop at Bayswater, but watch the mast around Putney Bridge. :ph34r:

Just back in, having visited Mum (I thought about mentioning the game, but considered that it would take too long to explain the rules, and interfere with our TV-watching!).

I've been pondering my next move all evening, which distracted me during "Frost"; fortunately, it was a repeat and I remembered most of the plot.

Anyway, Jim's confessed to "going out of turn", enabling me to post my next move, which is:

Charing Cross (Wheatstone).

Looks like this is shaping up to be a defensive game!

Peter.

... 1) King's Cross

... 2) King's Cross

... 3) Charing Cross

... 4) Brent Cross

... 5) Brent Cross

... 6) King's Cross

... 7) King's Cross

Jim, sorry to be pedantic, but 7 moves at once is not permitted in any set of rules or variations that I have seen (unless of course you're playing Crabitts, but I didn't think that was regarded as legal outside the UK), but I suppose, since someone proposed a bellows variation earlier then it could be seven-fold :unsure:

We need a referee.

Chris

Edited to add PS: I agree Peter, if play continues in this way we could be here all night

Edited by Chris Timson

Edited to add PS: I agree Peter, if play continues in this way we could be here all night

I'm off to bed. As our "American Cousins" are a few hours behind us, maybe we should invite them to play whilst we adjourn for a few hours sleep. The game looks tight, but we might be in for a shock result by morning.

Goodnight all!

Peter.

I agree Peter, if play continues in this way we could be here all night
I'm off to bed. As our "American Cousins" are a few hours behind us, maybe we should invite them to play whilst we adjourn for a few hours sleep. The game looks tight, but we might be in for a shock result by morning.
Hmmm! this needs some thought!

maybe we should take an early Jeffries tube to Kilburn!

As I sat here with my cup of tea and morning croissant (close call?), I received a telegraph from William Fothergill suggesting we meet for lunch in Camden Town.

With great respect to you guys charging off into games of this sort without a referee or a scorer, shouldnt you have waited for Samantha to get back from a pub session. You know she was looking forward to having her knees-up round the kings head.

" "