What Are They Using?

Sharron

With regard to the threads posted by Joachim on learning tunes from other players and also the ones on layout and numbers of buttons......Well, does anyone have any information about the concertinas used by the artists on cds?

Such as maker/layouts/buttons,key, etc.

As I and others learn by ear, it might give a little helpful information as to *how* they are *using* their concertina. It would be interesting to know. I know some tell you what they are using, but many alas do not.

I saw a thread here recently where someone said they knew what concertinas were being used on a particular cd.

So if you know please tell us what artist/cd and what you know about the concertina from the label or otherwise.

Thanks

Sharron

When Mary MacNamaras' "Blackberry Blossom" was first released, I enquired what concertinas she used and got the following answer (Mary was most helpful as usual). I also suggested that us players, would find it useful if artist(es) included details like these in future recordings - TAKE NOTE.

D/G concertina - Tracks 1 and 13

Bflat/F concertina - Tracks 2, 4, 6, 8 and 11.

C/G concertina - Track 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14 and 15.

And below is a quick tracklist, a number of which are already on the Tuneatron (along with many from her first CD).

1.Shandons Bells-Tom Friels 2.The stone in the filed/Finlays delight 3.An Paistin Fionn 4.Tatter Jack Walsh/House in The Glen 5.Tommy Coens/John Naughons 6.The Golden Eagle 7.The Hundred Pipes /The Mouse in the cupboard 8.Paddy Kellys 9.The Cavan Reel/Sporting Nell /Rattigans 10.Scatter the Mud /McGreevys 11.Pearl O haughnessys 12.woman of the house 13.Spailpin Fanach 14.Blackberry Blossom 15.Mick Hands /The maids of Mount Cisco

Such information can be useful, but don't let it put you off trying a tune in a particular key. I notice that Mary MacNamara is mentioned as playing The Golden Eagle hornpipe on a Bflat/F concertina. She plays the tune in the key of F Major. I listened to the CD and am pleased to say that I was soon able to play the tune in F on my battered old C/G Hohner.

That said, such info. can explain potential difficulties with fingering. I wish I could add to the list.

Edited by Christopher Quinn

Well Christopher, thereby hangs a tale ;)

As you said, it shouldn't put anyone off learning in any key any tune on any keyed concertina. I am with you on that. BUT the tune you mention is played in F. Well it is played in G in most sessions. I would rather play it in a key I can play with others, or else I feel that I have learnt a tune that i can only play either on my own at home or at a session where they will all think rather naughty things about me. <_<

So my interest is mainly on what make/layout eg. wheatstone/jeffries/individual, number of buttons, key, etc., etc.

I can't be the only one who is curious to what people play and why they made their choice.

Sharron

...the tune you mention is played in F. Well it is played in G in most sessions.

That, with Christopher's revelation that the instrument is in Bb/F is useful information. If you use software to raise the key to G (at the same time it is slowed down for easier learning), then the fingering that was used on the Bb/F should be just right for the C/G to play it in G. (This assumes equivalent layouts in the two keys, at least for the notes that are used.)

Hello Friends,

The C.D. "The English Connection" has a 4-page insert & pages 2&3 give full details of the instruments used on each of the 20-tracks. This, coupled with the very wide

assortment of music styles might go some way to provide what you are looking for.

Best Wishes. JOHN NIXON.