Morris Dancing Two's

Has the Morris dancing two's a new dance and concertina player.

I watched them yesterday and they have a concertina player playing the music,I am sure it was a Melodion before and a longer dance? However I could be wrong,see what you think

Al

I watched them yesterday and they have a concertina player playing the music,I am sure it was a Melodion before and a longer dance? However I could be wrong,see what you think

Que?

Here is the earlier Topic.

And here is the earlier clip, with the music being played on melodeon.

Alan, you seem to be suggesting that the clip that's currently on TV is a different one. If you look at the linked one, is it really different from what you saw yesterday? Currently without cable service or even a TV, I can't use that to look for the current version. If it really is a new clip, does anyone know if it can be found on the net?

I watched them yesterday and they have a concertina player playing the music,I am sure it was a Melodion before and a longer dance?

I haven't seen this since last year but I did watch it pretty carefully at the time, and formed the opinion (from the dubious synchronisation of bellows movements with the music) that the musician was miming.

Brian

... I did watch it pretty carefully at the time, and formed the opinion (from the dubious synchronisation of bellows movements with the music) that the musician was miming.

Must have been a "Top of the Pops" performance!

Just trying to identify the tradition......

Straight in with a 1/2 Hey, 1/2 Gip, Whole Hey, Back to Back, Distinctive Figure ending on a 1/2 Gip.

Any ideas? :huh:

After a lot of investigation I have discovered that this dance comes from

Upton upon Tooze

Another page from the completely useless information book

Al

Hi Alan,

The on screen cartoon has always shown a concertina, and the sound (to my ears) has always been provided by a melodeon.

all the best,

Peter

Edited by Peter Brook

a few more gips and heys perhaps.
I learn something new from this site every day! In the true oral tradition, I had never seen "gip" written down- I always assumed it was spelled "gyp". Now I know. :huh:

For the Morris figure, that seems to be the traditional spelling. But "gyp" seems to be considered the more common spelling for the word that means "to cheat".

Interesting.....I've never heard of 'gyp' to cheat.

In our area 'to gip' or 'gipping' (pronounced with a hard g not a j) describes one's body trying to vomit, usually followed by strenuous preventative swallowing or retching if the swallowing fails.

And giving something some 'gyp' (pronounced jip) means doing something enthusiastically or forcefully. 'Gyp' is also used to describe annoyance or discomfort, such as 'my tummy's giving me some gyp'.

The on screen cartoon has always shown a concertina, and the sound (to my ears) has always been provided by a melodeon.

This was discussed on the Morris Dance Discussion List some time ago and led to a brief exchange of e-mail between me and the fellow who played the melodeon in the recording session. He worked closely with the composer, whose job it was to fashion a believable morris tune from the first four notes (e, g, d, B), which are the logo tune for the BBC 2.

Edited to disable emoticons. The B) turned into the little guy with shades.

Edited by David Barnert

We've been discussing adding the dance to our Morris side's repertoire (Auntie's Ident - Shepherd's Bush tradition)

:unsure:

Is that a tradition in its own right or a "spin-off" of Hammersmith?